Deposit Or Upfront Pay?

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
PracticalTactical
Posts in topic: 1

Deposit Or Upfront Pay?

Post by PracticalTactical »

I've seen instructors do two things: either require a small nonrefundable deposit in the $25 range for a class seat, or require full payment to reserve but allow students to attend subsequent classes if they can't attend for whatever reason.

What are you all doing?

Currently with my New Mexico CHL classes I'm doing up front payment, but I'm wondering if I'd get more takers if I only required a deposit to save a seat.

rjr5545

Re: Deposit Or Upfront Pay?

Post by rjr5545 »

I require neither. I allow walk ins and don't take a deposit or up front payment.

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

:iagree: that's what I do too.
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

Seabear

Post by Seabear »

I prefer paid in advance just to avoid the disruption and the time of collecting during class. Plus, I have a Local gun shop collect deposits/finder's fees, and 35% of those people don't show up after paying a $25 deposit. I now have an online registration form where students can pay in advance and pick their class without having to contact me. I like it a LOT. :thumbs2:
Carry safe and carry when and where you can. I'm just sayin'.

apostate

Post by apostate »

rjr5545 wrote:I require neither. I allow walk ins and don't take a deposit or up front payment.
That's great if you have sufficient space for it. However, some instructors have limited classroom and/or range capacity. If they turn away a student because the class is full, and one of the reservations is a no-show, that's lost revenue. There's an entire field of study dedicated to yield management.

goheeled

Post by goheeled »

My opinion... some type of upfront deposit or payment is a must. Too many times, I've had verbal confirmations for a class of 8-10 and end up giving the class to 2-3 people. Far more people show up when they have even a small financial investment riding on it. I do offer a refund if they give notice or they can apply their payment to a future class. It's been working out well for me and for my customers. I find that most end up paying the entire amount. I still allow walk-ins but this helps me forecast the class size.

Rod Townsend
Go Heeled Firearms Training
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Training Counselor & Chief Range Safety Officer

troglodyte

Post by troglodyte »

I have been using the honor system and usually overbook (if possible) by 2-3. This has been working well until the last couple of months.

I usually have a couple of folks drop out but they usually give me at least several days notice since I send a reminder out Monday the week of the class. Two months ago I had my first no-show, no-call. Last month I had three no-shows, no-calls. I can't really say I lost revenue because I didn't have anyone on a waiting list but it's frustrating.

I was toying with scheduling a class in May but historically May, June, and July are tough months for me to attract clients as well as working around my vacation and work schedules. I had a family (of five) call up wanting a class in May so I set the date (17th) and started beating the bushes for a few more folks. Now the entire family (which turned out to be only three) backed out individually over the last three days The last one this morning after I contacted them to see if they were still coming (like I didn't already know). Another gentleman had a death in his family so I now have a class of 2. I feel honor-bound to hold the class but it's going to be a long day with only 2 people. I have very low overhead so I'm not losing money but I'm going to be working for about minimum wage.

I'm investigating a registration/deposit system. What is a good provider for this? I'd like it to be as simple a possible but not at the cost of losing function and reliability. I have an Intuit GoPayment card scanner but I haven't yet investigated if they have something that works with that account.

nightmare
Deactivated until real name is provided

Post by nightmare »

troglodyte wrote:I'm investigating a registration/deposit system. What is a good provider for this? I'd like it to be as simple a possible but not at the cost of losing function and reliability. I have an Intuit GoPayment card scanner but I haven't yet investigated if they have something that works with that account.
I haven't used it myself but this might be worth a look. viewtopic.php?f=18&t=62133" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Equo ne credite, Teucri. Quidquid id est, timeo Danaos et dona ferentes

jbarn

Post by jbarn »

Pay up front. Always
Texas CHL Instructor
Texas DPS Certified Private Security Classroom and Firearms Instructor
TCLEOSE Instructor (now TCOLE)

Neverpanic1

Post by Neverpanic1 »

I attempt a head count through a facebook Event....nonetheless, it never fails, several "no-shows". I've considered deposits, but not sure on what way to go about it.
Texas LTC Instructor/ NRA Certified Instructor

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Neverpanic1 wrote:I attempt a head count through a facebook Event....nonetheless, it never fails, several "no-shows". I've considered deposits, but not sure on what way to go about it.
I own CHLregistration.com and some of our instructors give the option of paying the entire fee or a nonrefundable deposit. Others give the option to pay the full fee at the time of registration or on the morning of class. We can set it up any way the instructor likes.

I give my students the option to pay when registering or on class day, because I haven't had a significant "no-show" problem. If I did, then I'd give the option of paying the full fee or a deposit at registration. I think my deposit would be higher than $25 to help discourage no-shows.

Chas.

skeathley

Post by skeathley »

I use my own online registration system, and everyone pays the full amount in advance. No refunds. If they contact me before class, I will move them to a later class. If they just don't show up, I will still contact them and offer them another class.
I have had a few people pay, not show up, and not respond to my emails, but they also have my email and phone. I keep the money. FWIW, my no show rate is pretty low. It was higher when I charged less. :lol:

I think people expect a professional business to work this way.

:tiphat:
Texas LTC Instructor / RSO / SSC
Viet Nam Veteran: 25th Infantry, Cu Chi
https://mckinneyfirearmstraining.com

Return to “Instructors' Corner”