Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
wgoforth
Posts in topic: 24

Re: Strange call from "Regulatory services."

Post by wgoforth »

Keith B wrote:
wgoforth wrote:
I do recall being some flap a while back on black targets, as some group was claiming it was racist.
Well, I guess shooting Martians or guys from the Blue Man Group is OK cause they are not a protected class. LOL
:smilelol5:

Well I'm 1/8th Cherokee and offended by the red man targets.... :mrgreen:
NRA Life Member
NRA Instructor for Refuse To Be A Victim
Instructor of Basic, Advanced and Defensive Handgun, CHL
http://www.castlekeepservices.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

smoothoperator
Posts in topic: 1

Post by smoothoperator »

We're protesting the green targets!

speedsix
Posts in topic: 4

Post by speedsix »

...that makes it umanimous...

Topic author
wgoforth

Post by wgoforth »

speedsix wrote:...that makes it umanimous...
All joking aside, this shows a problem that can be expected...it is hard enough to get all at DPS to give same answers. Throw another agency in, and it seems to beg for an increase in contradictory information. Am I wrong here?
NRA Life Member
http://www.castlekeepservices.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

speedsix
Posts in topic: 4

Post by speedsix »

...no, you're not...things that could be so simple are often made almost impossible to administrate by excessive bureaucracy...

Keith B
Posts in topic: 18

Post by Keith B »

wgoforth wrote:
speedsix wrote:...that makes it umanimous...
All joking aside, this shows a problem that can be expected...it is hard enough to get all at DPS to give same answers. Throw another agency in, and it seems to beg for an increase in contradictory information. Am I wrong here?
There is no 'other agency', it's all DPS. I am sure if these types of misunderstandings (target color, scores not being kept, etc) come up in the audit, they will be addressed quickly and the auditor(s) corrected on the issue and given the right informaiton.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

gringo pistolero
Posts in topic: 1

Post by gringo pistolero »

There's bound to be teething pains with any new program. I think the audits are a good thing for the good instructors and something DPS should have been doing all along. They had the authority as long as I remember.

I'm available if they want to hire part time contractors to sit in classes undercover and grade the instructors. :cool:
I sincerely apologize to anybody I offended by suggesting the Second Amendment also applies to The People who don't work for the government.

Topic author
wgoforth

Post by wgoforth »

gringo pistolero wrote:There's bound to be teething pains with any new program. I think the audits are a good thing for the good instructors and something DPS should have been doing all along. They had the authority as long as I remember.

I'm available if they want to hire part time contractors to sit in classes undercover and grade the instructors. :cool:
This is not the in class auditors that sit through a class. This is coming to your house and reviewing the info. This is the only type we were ever told about, and then only if there was a complaint and you wouldn't know they were sent.
NRA Life Member

theteacher
Posts in topic: 3

Post by theteacher »

I've read about scam calls before and if that's the type of call I'd get, I'd think it's a scam. Strangers shouldn't be calling for my information and papers without properly identifying themselves. And even if they do, I wouldn't be very convinced. With all these scams going on, it's hard to tell a legit from a fraudulent call.

If that is indeed a valid call, the authorities involved better find a safer and secure process in checking on instructors.

Topic author
wgoforth

Post by wgoforth »

theteacher wrote:I've read about scam calls before and if that's the type of call I'd get, I'd think it's a scam. Strangers shouldn't be calling for my information and papers without properly identifying themselves. And even if they do, I wouldn't be very convinced. With all these scams going on, it's hard to tell a legit from a fraudulent call.

If that is indeed a valid call, the authorities involved better find a safer and secure process in checking on instructors.
Look at the original post on this. That was my concern and asked on here if this was legit, as it just didn't seem right. THEY were the issuers, so they knew if I had a cert or not anyway. She said ALL they wanted to do was see it, takes 5 minutes...so I called Regulatory Services asking if this was legit, or some scam to get a copy of an instructors certs.
NRA Life Member

theteacher

Post by theteacher »

By the way wgoforth, do you still have the caller's phone number? Why don't you run a little search and look up the phone number at http://www.callercenter.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;? It's a consumer complaint site that works like a phone number look-up site, too. The advantage is that, if the phone number has been involved in any phone call fraud, you'd surely find that out.

Topic author
wgoforth

Post by wgoforth »

theteacher wrote:By the way wgoforth, do you still have the caller's phone number? Why don't you run a little search and look up the phone number at http://www.callercenter.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;? It's a consumer complaint site that works like a phone number look-up site, too. The advantage is that, if the phone number has been involved in any phone call fraud, you'd surely find that out.
No, Regulatory Services confirmed the call to be legit.
NRA Life Member

theteacher

Post by theteacher »

wgoforth wrote:
theteacher wrote:By the way wgoforth, do you still have the caller's phone number? Why don't you run a little search and look up the phone number at http://www.callercenter.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;? It's a consumer complaint site that works like a phone number look-up site, too. The advantage is that, if the phone number has been involved in any phone call fraud, you'd surely find that out.

-- If that is the case, then the agency ought to make the routine calls more "secure" for instructors like you wgoforth so you don't have to worry whenever you get a call like that.

And I agree with you. Why check on your certs and other documents when they probably have that on their records?

Topic author
wgoforth

Post by wgoforth »

theteacher wrote:
wgoforth wrote:

-- If that is the case, then the agency ought to make the routine calls more "secure" for instructors like you wgoforth so you don't have to worry whenever you get a call like that.

And I agree with you. Why check on your certs and other documents when they probably have that on their records?
Yes, that's why I am wondering if this isn't a significant waste of resources and yet another division to have lapses of communication in requirements (ie, no you can't use black targets any more). It is what it is. While having a little extra income on the side is nice (and most goes back into training resources), since this is for my pleasure, if it becomes more hassle than pleasure, I have no problem in ceasing. I can just continue my personal classes I was already doing.
NRA Life Member

Crossfire
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Crossfire »

Wayne - I am pretty sure no one from DPS is out to get you. Really. They have not had resources to do routine audits in the past. Looks like maybe they do have that in the budget now.

Things have changed and those who have not kept up need to be given a chance to make corrections. Not everyone who teaches is on the forum. Not all the info has been conveyed (or remembered) from the instructor renewal classes. Lets just get everyboday back on the same page, and go from there. I doubt you have anything to worry about as a new instructor. Think about those who need to organize three years worth of records, if they have not been keeping them.
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

Return to “Instructors' Corner”