2007 Renewal Schools

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
Greybeard
Posts in topic: 2

2007 Renewal Schools

Post by Greybeard »

Just got renewal school notice in mail recently. And, in putzing around on DPS web site, noticed a statement to the effect that re-cert training could start in June this time ...

That could barely be time for the ink to dry on any new legislative changes. But, it certainly makes more sense than doing the majority of 'em after new laws have gone into effect on Sept. 1 ...
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

txinvestigator
Posts in topic: 3

Re: 2007 Renewal Schools

Post by txinvestigator »

Greybeard wrote:Just got renewal school notice in mail recently. And, in putzing around on DPS web site, noticed a statement to the effect that re-cert training could start in June this time ...

That could barely be time for the ink to dry on any new legislative changes. But, it certainly makes more sense than doing the majority of 'em after new laws have gone into effect on Sept. 1 ...
I received mine yesterday. I am going to apply online this weekend. I hope to get an early date.
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I just got mine yesterday and this is my first Instructor renewal. Do they assign a class date, or can you choose between several?

Chas.

txinvestigator

Post by txinvestigator »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:I just got mine yesterday and this is my first Instructor renewal. Do they assign a class date, or can you choose between several?

Chas.
I have only done the online thing. They sent out a packet with choices for my date after I paid online. However, Sgt Riddle called me after I sent in my choices and told they were already booked and I had to pick another date.

We should all try to go on the same day.
*CHL Instructor*

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

txinvestigator wrote:We should all try to go on the same day.
That would be fun. El Gato, his daughter and I are going to do that. Let's try to get a good number of us on the same date. Let me know what date you choose. I applied for renewal on-line as well.

Chas.

TC-TX
Posts in topic: 1

Post by TC-TX »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:I just got mine yesterday and this is my first Instructor renewal. Do they assign a class date, or can you choose between several?

Chas.
Hey Chas - didn't we just do this in August??? ;-)

they must REALLY like us - to get a return invite so soon and all... :razz:
Semper Fi ~

Eagle Scout 1975
U.S.M.C. 1978-84
Commercial Pilot
Texas CHL Instructor
Certified Flight Instructor
NRA Certified Instructor
NRA Life Member
TSRA Member
http://www.TexasArmament.com

Crossfire

Post by Crossfire »

Greybeard - where did you find the info on instructor renewal dates? I checked and could not find anything on it. I have to ask for time off way in advance, so the sooner I can get scheduled, the better.

I sent in my money as soon as I got the letter in the mail. Hope to hear something soon.
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

Crossfire

Post by Crossfire »

Chas.
They send you a list of available dates, and you pick. But, if the class is full, they have been known to randomly put you in another class.
Hey Chas - didn't we just do this in August??? ;-)

All instructors get to renew every odd numbered year. So, if you get your initial instructor certificate in an even year, then you are only good for 1 year before you have to renew.

Crossfire

Post by Crossfire »

txinvestigator wrote: I have only done the online thing. They sent out a packet with choices for my date after I paid online. However, Sgt Riddle called me after I sent in my choices and told they were already booked and I had to pick another date.
TX - I heard 3rd hand info that Riddle finally retired. You heard anything about that?

Geez, the class won't be the same without her.

txinvestigator

Post by txinvestigator »

llwatson wrote:
txinvestigator wrote: I have only done the online thing. They sent out a packet with choices for my date after I paid online. However, Sgt Riddle called me after I sent in my choices and told they were already booked and I had to pick another date.
TX - I heard 3rd hand info that Riddle finally retired. You heard anything about that?

Geez, the class won't be the same without her.
I "internet" heard that too, but the rumor was that she stayed on in civilian capacity in the CHL program. :?:

Love her sense of humor.
*CHL Instructor*

Topic author
Greybeard
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Greybeard »

Yep, recent newletter I got from instructor's assn. had Riddle retirement as front page news. It sounds like she's going to take a 30 day break then come back on in some manner with DPS working security at Capitol building. And article indicated that she might still come back some for instructor skuls ...

Linda- From one of the pages for instructor applications/recerts:

Quote: "Concealed Handgun Instructor Certificate

New Instructor Training Courses are held once a year. Next available class will be on or about June 2007. "

I came across this while going through web site in attempt to use pin number, pay and get packet electronically. Got hung up during "log in" (nothing would happen), gave up and called 'em. The guy said it should arrive in 7 to 10 days. So, until then, I guess "on or about June 2007" is the best we've got to go on for now ...

Re: Riddle humor. Last time I shot at Florence, Riddle was walking down the line "observing". I was at low-ready with PM-9 when she put her chin on my shoulder and said "My, that is a LITTLE gun". At which point I followed the advice of the old test question "Never reply with the first thing that comes to mind" ;-) and said "Yea, I wanted a challenge."
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

TC-TX wrote:Hey Chas - didn't we just do this in August??? ;-)

I like your theory better; I thought DPS must feel I need remedial training. :lol:

Chas.

Return to “Instructors' Corner”