Trying to Learn From Others - CHL100's

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
kg5ie
Posts in topic: 6

Trying to Learn From Others - CHL100's

Post by kg5ie »

OK, so I know I am jumping the gun. No pun intended. I am not even certified as an instructor yet (go next week) and I an already trying to plan for classes.

Anyway, my question is this.

You do your classroom presentation. Then you drive 20 minutes away to the range where you will conduct the shooting proficiency test. Now you are needing to print the CHL100 form for you and the students.

How the heck are you guys handling that? Do you partially fill them out then print them before you leave...finish filling them out at the range? Portable printer? Make them drive back to the classroom? :???:

Bill
Bill Davis [kg5ie]
TX LTC Instructor / School Safety Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor
http://safe-2-carry.com

Topic author
kg5ie

Re: Trying to Learn From Others - CHL100's

Post by kg5ie »

Another question along the same line. Is anyone still using the old 3-part NCR CHL100 form that has been around from the beginning?

Bill
Bill Davis [kg5ie]
NRA Pistol Instructor

sjfcontrol
Posts in topic: 4

Post by sjfcontrol »

kg5ie wrote:Another question along the same line. Is anyone still using the old 3-part NCR CHL100 form that has been around from the beginning?

Bill
NO. They are long outdated.
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

The_Busy_Mom
Posts in topic: 1

Post by The_Busy_Mom »

kg5ie wrote:OK, so I know I am jumping the gun. No pun intended. I am not even certified as an instructor yet (go next week) and I an already trying to plan for classes.

You do your classroom presentation. Then you drive 20 minutes away to the range where you will conduct the shooting proficiency test. Now you are needing to print the CHL100 form for you and the students.

How the heck are you guys handling that? Do you partially fill them out then print them before you leave...finish filling them out at the range? Portable printer? Make them drive back to the classroom? :???:

Bill
I will handle it like my NRA Instructor class. We met 8am sharp at classroom, had class until approx. noon. Broke for lunch at noon, told to be at range at 1:30. Range was about 15-20 minutes away. Spent appropriate time at range. We broke, told to be back at classroom at 3:30. Finished up material in classroom, and took written test. Then we were dismissed from class.

When I took my initial CHL class, this was the exact format we followed, but we didn't have to leave the classroom because it was a classroom in the range facility. While we were taking written test, instructor was filling out CHL-100s. This is the format I will follow whether I have to leave the classroom to go to the range, or not.

:txflag: TBM
Texas CHL Instructor / NRA Certified Instructor
Final Shot Armory - Specializing in Firearms Sales & Transfers, NFA Sales
$20 Transfers for Current TX CHL Holders, Military, Teachers, LEO / $25 Everyone else
http://www.FinalShotUS.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

CodeJockey

Post by CodeJockey »

deleted...
Last edited by CodeJockey on Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Always watch your six!
NRA Life Member

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

kg5ie wrote:OK, so I know I am jumping the gun. No pun intended. I am not even certified as an instructor yet (go next week) and I an already trying to plan for classes.

Bill
You may want to look at this thread. It's about a service I started to help fund the Texas Firearms Coalition. The combination of online registration and importing the data means you create your CHL-100's and CHL-8 with one button. viewtopic.php?f=18&t=62133&hilit=chlregistration.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Chas.

Topic author
kg5ie

Post by kg5ie »

sjfcontrol wrote:
kg5ie wrote:Another question along the same line. Is anyone still using the old 3-part NCR CHL100 form that has been around from the beginning?

Bill

Interesting, they are still available for purchase on line. :shock:

Bill
Bill Davis [kg5ie]
NRA Pistol Instructor

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

kg5ie wrote:
sjfcontrol wrote:

Bill

Bill
Really? Got a link? Why would you BUY a form you can download for free? My bet is DPS would not accept the order. The CHL-100 form has changed since the old NCR form was used.
Never Forget. Image

Topic author
kg5ie

Post by kg5ie »

sjfcontrol wrote:
kg5ie wrote:
sjfcontrol wrote:

Bill

Bill
Really? Got a link? Why would you BUY a form you can download for free? My bet is DPS would not accept the order. The CHL-100 form has changed since the old NCR form was used.
Link sent to you in a PM.

Bill
Bill Davis [kg5ie]
NRA Pistol Instructor

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

kg5ie wrote:
sjfcontrol wrote:
kg5ie wrote:
sjfcontrol wrote:

Bill

Bill
Link sent to you in a PM.

Bill
Got it -- don't know why you didn't just post it.

Those forms are from a 3rd party, not DPS. Less than $0.50 each rather than the $5.00 DPS used to charge. I guess if you don't have a computer (or a printer) there might be a reason to use them.
Never Forget. Image

Topic author
kg5ie

Post by kg5ie »

Still learning "rules" of the forum. Didn't know if posting links to sites selling things was kosher.

They also sell printed and bound CHL16's fairly cheap as well as complete instructor PowerPoint lesson plans and student study guides.

I've already checked on having the CHL16's printed, it is way cheaper to go to a professional printer than to try to run them through your printer yourself. That is unless you have access to a high speed two sided laser printer.

Bill
Bill Davis [kg5ie]
NRA Pistol Instructor

MasterOfNone

Post by MasterOfNone »

You can print the CHL-100s any time; just don't give them out until the end of class. With the extremely low chance of anyone failing the shooting test, if your range time is at the end of class you can print them during the written test, take them to the range, then sign and hand them out after passing.
http://www.PersonalPerimeter.com
DFW area LTC Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor, Range Safety Officer, Recruiter

Crossfire

Post by Crossfire »

MasterOfNone wrote:You can print the CHL-100s any time; just don't give them out until the end of class. With the extremely low chance of anyone failing the shooting test, if your range time is at the end of class you can print them during the written test, take them to the range, then sign and hand them out after passing.
I agree. We take their driver's licenses when they check in. CHL-100s are made during the morning session, driver's licenses are handed back at the first break, and CHL-100s are given out at the end of the class.

I used to print them myself, during the lunch break, but with larger classes that has not been feasible. Now, one of our associate instructors does it, and I sign later.
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

TDDude

Post by TDDude »

I pre-print a stack of the CHL-100's with my name and instructor number on them. I hand them out at the beginning of the class and I have each student fill in their parts as well as the class and range addresses. I then take them back. I fill out the written test part during the written test. I check to make sure all the blanks are filled out and then hand them back to the students.

We then meet at the range and if they pass that, I fill out the rest of the form on the firing line after looking at the targets.

Yes, folks do occasionally flunk the shooting portion.
Ray F.
Luke 22:35-38 "Gear up boys, I gotta go and it's gonna get rough." JC
-- Darrell Royal, former UT football coach - "If worms carried pistols, birds wouldn't eat 'em."

Neverpanic1

Post by Neverpanic1 »

<~~~~~ trying carbon copy paper for this weekend's class. : / :headscratch
Texas LTC Instructor/ NRA Certified Instructor

Return to “Instructors' Corner”