Start Here?

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
Saulnier
Posts in topic: 2

Start Here?

Post by Saulnier »

I will be taking my CHL class on Saturday April 21st.
I am tryting to find information about getting a CHL Instructors Certification to teach CHL classes.

Not a whim, or a get rich quick kind of thing.

I am a teacher in the public schools with 12 years of teaching experience.
Like most good teachers I am looking for an honest way to add a few extra bucks to the household income.

Might as well be something that I would enjoy doing right?
I understand that there is a class to take at the DPS range.
I have been to the DPS website.

But I still have questions.

So, either in a PM or open here goes;

1. Based on what some of you have experienced, what are some tings I should know about starting a business teaching CHL classes?

I figure I will have to pay self-employment taxes. Do I have to pay state sales tax on the money charged for a glass?

I will be taking my class at the local Gander Mountain store.
I would assume that the instructor has to pay a small fee to use the classroom space. I will ask.

I would imagine that you can work a deal with the loca shooting range for discounted range fees for class participants.

Do you recieve payment in personal checks or have you set up a DBA and company name to handle the business?

Seems to me that most instructors I have seen charge around $100.00 for a standard CHL class. Some include photos and fingerprints, and some do not.

What does it cost for you the instructor to teach the class? When it is all said and done do you get 70% of what you charge the students? Maybe 80%?

Just trying to see what the possibilities are. Not trying to undercut or steal anyones business. Just trying to figure out if this is something I should pursue or not.
It will cost me, and I understand that.
It is an instructor certification of any type is not to be taken lightly and this in no different.

Let me know your thoughts.

Saulnier
Duct Tape Doesen't Rust.

911, Please hold?

txinvestigator
Posts in topic: 1

Post by txinvestigator »

No sales tax needs to be charged.

Income is reportable.

The instructor of the class you are taking may pay a fee to the range, or the range may handle all of the scheduling, signing up, collecting fees, etc, and pay the instructor a flat or percentage fee.

How you get paid depends. If you simply pay the range for its use and the students pay you directly, then a DBA or even a LLC or corp is better. If you get paid a flat fee or percentage then handle it either as an employee or 1099.

Cost to instructor is at least $5.00 for the certificate. Of course, that depends on the arrangement you have with the range. When I was director of training at a local range, we paid an instructor $200 per initial class. We covered the certificates, prints, pics, notarization, scheduling, accepting payment, EVERYTHING. If there was 2 or 20 students the instructor made the same.

If YOU simply pay the range and handle the rest yourself you will pay for classroom use, range fee, certificates, someone to take prints and pictures, a notary, etc.

In a large class you can earn more $$$ if YOU handle everything; however, your risk is if only a few people sign up, you either cancel or make only a few $$$.

Cancel too many classes and get a bad rep.
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

Topic author
Saulnier
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Saulnier »

Thanks for the reply. I hope more will share their information as well.
I figured I would ask those that seem to know instead of reinventing the wheel.

I am currently working a second job powerwashing at on friday and saturday nights 3 of the 4 weekends per month.

That job is actualy the reason I am getting a CHL.

I am investigating to see weather or not teaching CHL classes will be able to suppliment or replace about $700.00 per month.

Thanks again for your help.

Saulnier
Duct Tape Doesen't Rust.

911, Please hold?

ElGato
Posts in topic: 1

Post by ElGato »

What txi said plus advertising, supplies and the cost of continued training, both time and money.

When I have a big class it's very good and when I have a small class I lose money, I have held a lot of classes for one or two student's and have only cancelled one class since 95 it has to average out.

If you are going to look at this from a $/hour view, you need to consider the time spent in preparation for the class and requirements after the class.

There is a limit to the number of students that I can handle in a class, my bottleneck is the range time, there are no limit's to the number of student's in the verbal part of the class other than seating and I can make arrangements for that.

The most important thing is that I really enjoy teaching the CHL and all the people I get to meet. :smile:

Return to “Instructors' Corner”