2013 Texas Firearms Instructor Conference

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

switch
Posts in topic: 10

Re: 2013 Texas Firearms Instructor Conference

Post by switch »

The DPS rep said something similar.

My take? There is more differences between different brands/models of SA's than between a SA and a NSA. You SA only, DA only, DA first round, than SA, decockers (always makes me nervous to drop the hammer on a live round :) ), safeties (frame, trigger, grip, half-cock),ambidextrous controls, mag releases, even flip up barrels.

Comparatively, revolvers are pretty simple. :)

RossA
Banned
Posts in topic: 9

Post by RossA »

My concern is for the timing of all of this. We only have a few months until the end of the year. DPS says that they will announce the locations of the traveling renewal classes "soon", without any guarantee of when that will be. Obviously, each class will have a limit on how many students can enroll. What if we don't get to enroll in a class soon enough to renew by the end of the year, not through our own fault but because DPS doesn't give us enough time? Do we just lose our instructor certificates?
God and the soldier we adore,
In times of danger, not before.
The danger gone, the trouble righted,
God's forgotten, the soldier slighted.

switch

Post by switch »

Yep.

Course, if there is a demand in certain areas (Lubbock?) they will probably extend classes to 2 or 3 days.

It will be a lot easier to get to classes locally than having to drive to Austin.

Don't know how long you have been an instructor but they have usually been able to train most instructors w/i the Aug - Dec time frame. At 100 per class, they'd only need about 30 class days.

RossA
Banned

Post by RossA »

This will be my first instructor renewal. So I am concerned that I do everything right and not have my certificate lapse. Based upon my experience with DPS since I have been an instructor, I don't exactly trust them to inform us on time as to what is necessary or how to do it.
I know, I know, they are busy, they don't get extra money to take care of us, etc. But they are our only source of information on all of this, and if we don't get the information on time, we can't do much about it.

switch

Post by switch »

They are good about informing about classes and letting you schedule. :)

RossA
Banned

Post by RossA »

I'm signing up to take my NRA class on Sep. 7, so I'm doing what I can to keep from waiting until Christmas to get re-certified.

switch

Post by switch »

You are way behind the curve.

DPS will write and let you know you need to file a CHL-90 BUT you cannot schedule your renewal course until you get it in. You should be able to file it right after class. The instructor will give you a certificate and you can send DPS a copy.

Your app will go to the bottom of the pile. :( Course that should not be a big deal because they are going to schedule a lot of renewal classes for instructors.

RossA
Banned

Post by RossA »

I don't understand. DPS will write and let me know that I am due to be recertified?
If they haven't written to me yet (they haven't) but I am being pro active in trying to get something done before they notify me, how can I be the one who is behind the curve?
Why would I go to the bottom of the list if I am taking action before I am even notified?

switch

Post by switch »

They sent a letter (admittedly waayyyy early) saying we needed to renew. IF you renewed immediately after you got said letter, you may not have known about the NRA cert requirement.

They changed the CHL-90 form in Feb. If you renewed post Feb, then you should have known about the NRA cert requirement.

The NRA cert has been widely circulated/discussed (admittedly, NOT by/from DPS - except on the new CHL-90).

There are a lot of us that were already NRA cert. Others have gone ahead and taken NRA classes and presumably reported them to DPS. We will have an opportunity to take renewal classes first. Actually, if you get your NRA cert in soon, your app should be in the same bucket as mine.

Once they schedule classes, it is first come, first served. It will be interesting to see how many classes they schedule in DFW, Houston and Austin. And where other classes will be offered.

They will be sending out letters informing instructors what they need: Renew online, file CHL-90, submit proof of NRA cert (or substitute), take a renewal class (here are the available dates/location), etc.

All I'm saying is you waited a long time to take the NRA cert class. :( Still, you have plenty of time between now and Dec. (depending on how hard it is for you to get a day off.) However, if you don't get to a class, you will have to stop teaching 1/1 until you do get renewed. :(

Incidentally, this is a BIG improvement. Instructor certificates used to be good for 2 years - period. I have a friend that took his renewal in Sept one cycle and scheduled his next renewal in Nov. He did not realize his cert was NOT good between Sept and Nov and taught a class. DPS caught it, bounced his CHL-100's and he had to reteach/reshoot those students. :( Now that our certs expire on 12/31 of odd years, we know where we stand. Easy to keep up with.

RossA
Banned

Post by RossA »

I am already scheduled to take the NRA class in a couple of weeks. They may have sent letters out way early, but I never got one. I don't let things like professional license renewals wait until the last minute if I have early notice.

sjfcontrol
Posts in topic: 8

Post by sjfcontrol »

RossA wrote:I am already scheduled to take the NRA class in a couple of weeks. They may have sent letters out way early, but I never got one. I don't let things like professional license renewals wait until the last minute if I have early notice.
You might want to make sure DPS has your correct email address. You can let them know by contacting them here...
http://www.dps.texas.gov/rsd/contact/default.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also, make sure they have your correct mailing address.
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

Return to “Instructors' Corner”