2013 Texas Firearms Instructor Conference

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

switch
Posts in topic: 10

Re: 2013 Texas Firearms Instructor Conference

Post by switch »

I was thinking about taking a couple of extra days and taking my wife to Galveston - but the hotels start at $160/day. Anyone know of any less expensive places to stay on the island?

BrianSW99
Posts in topic: 2

Post by BrianSW99 »

switch wrote:I was thinking about taking a couple of extra days and taking my wife to Galveston - but the hotels start at $160/day. Anyone know of any less expensive places to stay on the island?
Just about everything on the island is going to be high right now, and the places that aren't probably aren't places you'd want to be in. You might consider looking off island though. There are several options in League City that are usually more reasonably priced and it isn't that far a drive from Galveston, but of course you don't get the beach view.

Brian
NRA & TSRA Member
CHL Instructor

n5wd
Posts in topic: 3

Post by n5wd »

I'll second the suggestion to stay off-island. There are oodles of hotel/motels on/near NASA Road 1 in and around Webster. That's where we usually stayed when Galveston was just a day trip, and as a bonus, you aren't too far from Kemah, as well.
NRA-Life member, NRA Instructor, NRA RSO, TSRA member,
Vietnam (AF) Veteran -- Amateur Extra class amateur radio operator: N5WD

Email: CHL@centurylink.net

n5wd

Post by n5wd »

By the way,since a large number of forum members are hams, and I'd guess that I'm not the only ham that's going to be at the conference on Friday - any suggestions for a talk-in frequency to listen for? I'll have the D710 with APRS in the car, and an HT with me, so I plan on being .... ready now?... radioactive.

Anyone else?

I normally hang around on one of WB5UGT's repaters that are linked to the Saltgrass System while I'm in the Houston area... from the map it looks like 444.075(PL 103.5), 443.825 (PL 103.5) and 146.92 (PL 103.5) all cover the Hobby area pretty well. Anyone else have a suggestion?

de N5WD

kg5ie

Post by kg5ie »

n5wd wrote:By the way,since a large number of forum members are hams, and I'd guess that I'm not the only ham that's going to be at the conference on Friday - any suggestions for a talk-in frequency to listen for? I'll have the D710 with APRS in the car, and an HT with me, so I plan on being .... ready now?... radioactive.

Anyone else?

I normally hang around on one of WB5UGT's repaters that are linked to the Saltgrass System while I'm in the Houston area... from the map it looks like 444.075(PL 103.5), 443.825 (PL 103.5) and 146.92 (PL 103.5) all cover the Hobby area pretty well. Anyone else have a suggestion?

de N5WD

I had not thought about putting the Tiny Trac APRS unit on the motorcycle, since I am riding down, but I guess I could. I don't have the Yaesu on the bike right now...using all saddlebag area for the trip....but the tracker doesn't take up much room. I'll bring an HT if I can find room in the saddle bags.
Bill Davis [kg5ie]
TX LTC Instructor / School Safety Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor
http://safe-2-carry.com

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 12

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

n5wd wrote:I normally hang around on one of WB5UGT's repaters that are linked to the Saltgrass System while I'm in the Houston area... from the map it looks like 444.075(PL 103.5), 443.825 (PL 103.5) and 146.92 (PL 103.5) all cover the Hobby area pretty well. Anyone else have a suggestion?

de N5WD
Those are good repeaters especially since people will be driving in from all over the state. I'll bring an HT and be on it when I can. If those are busy, there are some local to the conference hotel. I suggest the Pearland repeater as a backup 147.22 +600, tone 167.9.

147.220 (+) tone 167.9 - Pearland
146.880 (-) tone 103.5 - South Houston area
146.640 (-) No tone Johnson Space Center
146.860 (-) tone 100.00 - Clear Lake City area
145.110 (-) tone 123.00 - Alvin

Chas.
KD5GR

n5wd

Post by n5wd »

Outstanding! See you Friday, maybe QSO before then.

73 DE N5WD

bmcferren

Post by bmcferren »

Charles - Just a big THANK YOU for the conference. Once again, very timely and full of the knowledge we need to be successful in this endeavor. I enjoyed all aspects of the conference and look forward to the expanded results of the survey.
TX CHL Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer

MasterOfNone
Posts in topic: 1

Post by MasterOfNone »

Really wish I could have made it.
Did DPS share any big news?
http://www.PersonalPerimeter.com
DFW area LTC Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor, Range Safety Officer, Recruiter

Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

A day well spent, as usual with anything that Chas puts together. Sherrie said she had the new stuff, including the new test, in her laptop but could not cut it loose until out of review by the legal dept. Possibly not communicated to instructors until Sept. 1. And yes, lots of folks expressed opinions on that - especially those with classes scheduled for Sept. 1. In regard to renewal schools for instructors, they will likely come to us for the first time instead of us going to them. Instructors can do shooting quals for each other - with both semi and revolver.
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 12

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Sherrie said instructors can use the current student test until the new test is approved by the legal dept. and published. Some instructors expressed concern at the few questions that will not be accurate or relevant after Sept. 1st, but it will be easy for us to address. The only three that come to mind are 1) SA v. NSA; and 2) renewal procedures (2 questions), but I may have forgotten some. We can simply tell our students that SA v. NSA has gone away and that the renewal procedures have changed. All of us would rather have the new test prior to Sept. 1st, but the holdup is the legal dept.

There will be a new CHL-100 and CHL-8 to reflect the changes taking effect on Sept. 1st. She said that DPS will not reject the current form CHL-100 for some period after Sept 1st. This is obviously to help instructors in case the legal dept. doesn't give final approval to changes until Sept. or shortly prior to that date.

Of particular interest to people who's CHL expires after Sept. 1st and who have already started the renewal process by applying online with DPS and paying the fee, is the fact that DPS will renew their CHL after Sept. 1st without having to take a class prior to Sept. 1st. Sherrie said DPS has not taken a position on whether the grace period to renew after expiration goes away on Sept. 1st and I think that's an indication that DPS is looking for a way to help CHLs and allow them to renew. As I've stated before, I do not believe this effort will be successful as HB48 is clear; one must renew on or before expiration.

She spoke for about 40 minutes and covered many other items and answered questions. I'm sure others will have more information.

Chas.

jmain

Post by jmain »

Was there any mention of when they will start scheduling instructor classes again by chance?
Texas CHL Instructor
www.austinarmory.com
IWB Custom Holsters - CHL Classes - CHL/Holster Packages.

switch
Posts in topic: 10

Post by switch »

Instructor renewal classes will be held around the state - (Probably at 4 or 5 locations.) Will be sending out letters 'soon'. Telling us what we need (proof of NRA cert or alternative, etc) or ready to go and offering us classes. Probably starting in Sept.

shoot for proficiency w/each other - both guns. :(

mommagamber

Post by mommagamber »

Thank you for setting up the conference. I learned a lot and meet some nice people.
I conceal carry because I choose not to be a victim.

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

switch wrote:Instructor renewal classes will be held around the state - (Probably at 4 or 5 locations.) Will be sending out letters 'soon'. Telling us what we need (proof of NRA cert or alternative, etc) or ready to go and offering us classes. Probably starting in Sept.

shoot for proficiency w/each other - both guns. :(
I know it may not seem "fair" that the student can qualify with either and be licensed to carry both and we have to shoot with both guns. But, we have to be able to know if they are proficient with either so we need to demonstrate proficiency with both. That's my take on the matter. YMMV :tiphat:
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

Return to “Instructors' Corner”