September New Instructor Class

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
Sangiovese
Posts in topic: 6

September New Instructor Class

Post by Sangiovese »

Yesterday afternoon I received an invitation for a class for new instructors - starting on Sept 16. That's not much notice for working the logistics of time off/etc, but with as crazy as things must be around their offices right now, I'm just glad they are offering a class this month. I had given up on September and was hoping for an October class, so the email was a nice surprise.

I will be there. Would love to meet any other forum members who are attending.

If anyone is trying to track timelines for instructor apps... 6 months from completed app to class, which seems to line up with what others have experienced. Details are: I applied online on Jan 29, did prints on Feb 8, and (due to the awol form) didn't get my CHL-90 mailed until Mar 6. I already had the required NRA certifications when I first applied, so there wasn't any delay for that.
NRA Endowment Member. Texas LTC Instructor. NRA certified Pistol & Home Firearm Safety Instructor - Range Safety Officer

Any comments about legal matters are general in nature and are not legal advice. Nothing posted on this forum is intended to establish an attorney-client relationship.

jmain
Posts in topic: 9

Re: September New Instructor Class

Post by jmain »

Congrats!

That is surprising and short notice.

I haven't seen an email, sent app in March also...

Is the class m-f?
Texas CHL Instructor
www.austinarmory.com
IWB Custom Holsters - CHL Classes - CHL/Holster Packages.

Topic author
Sangiovese

Post by Sangiovese »

The invitation email said 16th through 19th, which would be Mon-Thur.

I was kind of surprised that it didn't include Friday (i thought previous classes did, but I might be mistaken)... but figured I will get confirmation once they send out the "additional information" they say will come once they get my rsvp (which I sent last night). I haven't received it yet, so I'm guessing it is a manual thing. Hopefully it will come today so I know where to book a hotel.

I obviously have no idea if they sent out all the invitations yesterday, but do know that they gave me until Friday to respond... so I would imagine that after they see how many people are not attending, they will send more invites out to fill those vacancies.
NRA Endowment Member. Texas LTC Instructor. NRA certified Pistol & Home Firearm Safety Instructor - Range Safety Officer

Any comments about legal matters are general in nature and are not legal advice. Nothing posted on this forum is intended to establish an attorney-client relationship.

jmain

Post by jmain »

Thanks for the info!
Texas CHL Instructor
www.austinarmory.com

switch
Posts in topic: 3

Post by switch »

Sounds like they have shortened the class because you are already an instructor. An unintended consequence? Serendipity?

RockCreator
Posts in topic: 1

Post by RockCreator »

Checking in. I just sent my invitation acceptance back to DPS. Now to decide...drive back and forth or find a place to stay?

jmain

Post by jmain »

Last edited by jmain on Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Texas CHL Instructor
www.austinarmory.com

n5wd
Posts in topic: 2

Post by n5wd »

jmain wrote:I received an email from dps stating there were still processing apps from 2012 that had priority to scheduled classes.

I submitted on 3-27, and haven't seen an invite.
And neither have I, with paperwork in about the first week of June.

The DPS lady, at the Firearms Instructor Conference in Houston last month, said she thought there'd be room for everyone that had applied - apparently not.

Then again, a little more notice would probably work better with my boss, too.
NRA-Life member, NRA Instructor, NRA RSO, TSRA member,
Vietnam (AF) Veteran -- Amateur Extra class amateur radio operator: N5WD

Email: CHL@centurylink.net

Spartacus100
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Spartacus100 »

I received the same email on Tuesday and will finally be able to attend the class :anamatedbanana after having to postpone on two different occasions earlier this year. :???:
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor.
"Arms are the only true badge of liberty. The possession of arms is the distinction of a free man from a slave." -Andrew Fletcher, 1698.

Topic author
Sangiovese

Post by Sangiovese »

I'm a bit worried that their system ate my "I will attend" email. The invitation said that we would receive a confirmation and more information... but I still haven't received a confirmation. (Sent my response on Tuesday evening, a few hours after they sent the invitation.) The deadline to respond to the invitation is today. A confirmation that they received your response would be a lot more reassuring if they sent it before the deadline :)

I'm guessing that they are just waiting to do a mass email with the info to everyone who responded that they are going to attend, and there is really not much of a chance that they didn't get my email. But after waiting half a year for a spot in the class, I'm a bit paranoid that I will lose my seat due to a glitch.

jmain

Post by jmain »

Last edited by jmain on Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Texas CHL Instructor
www.austinarmory.com

Topic author
Sangiovese

Post by Sangiovese »

jmain wrote:Any update?

Hoping for a last minute invite.
Not a peep since the initial email last Tuesday from DPS offering a seat in the class. I will update when I hear something.

I hope you get in. For that matter, I hope I'm in! I'm starting to wonder if that email was a prank! :mrgreen:

Topic author
Sangiovese

Post by Sangiovese »

The confirmation email just came in. So if you've been waiting for one and haven't checked your email lately, you might want to look.

Hopefully that also means that anyone hoping for a last minute invite due to seats opening up will also get an email soon.

Looking forward to meeting some forum folks on Monday.

jmain

Post by jmain »

Last edited by jmain on Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Texas CHL Instructor
www.austinarmory.com

jmain

Post by jmain »

Last edited by jmain on Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Texas CHL Instructor
www.austinarmory.com

Return to “Instructors' Corner”