March 11-14, 2014 Instructor Class

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
n5wd
Posts in topic: 5

March 11-14, 2014 Instructor Class

Post by n5wd »

Got my invite to the March 11-14, 2014 Instructor Class in Georgetown, today. The timing couldn't be better - it's during our Spring Break, so I won't have to take any personal leave for the class.

Am I correct that the Georgetown La Quinta is the best/closest to the training site?

Looking forward to meeting some of y'all and getting my instructor's license. Gonna have to work on the revolver skills a bit, as well.

So, who else is going?
NRA-Life member, NRA Instructor, NRA RSO, TSRA member,
Vietnam (AF) Veteran -- Amateur Extra class amateur radio operator: N5WD

Email: CHL@centurylink.net

glock75
Posts in topic: 1

Re: March 11-14, 2014 Instructor Class

Post by glock75 »

Actually, there are several in the same vicinity of the LaQuinta. I stayed at the Candlewood Suites which was nice and very reasonable. It has a small kitchen with refrigerator, stove, microwave, sink. I saved money by going to a local grocery store and getting enough food to last the 4 nights and 5 days I was at the class. I think I ate out only once while I was there.

These hotels are on the west side of the highway opposite of the community center where the classes are held. Very easy to get to the class and back. Only minutes away. You will enjoy the class. The best part was the range time. DPS has a great facility and the Instructor Cadre top notch. I scored 250 on the revolver, which I hadn't shot in years and 248 on the semi-auto. Bummer. Wasn't expecting that.... in fact totaling opposite of what I was expecting.

I think everyone was concerned with the instructor candidate written exam and range quals. Sgt. Bamsch told everyone not to worry and that experience had shown that most everyone does better than what they expect. He was right.

I really enjoyed the whole experience. Good luck!
NRA, DPS and Rangemaster Certified Firearms Instructor
RWDefense.com

AF-Odin
Posts in topic: 6

Post by AF-Odin »

I also got the invite to the March Class. They offered me the opportunity to do the January Class, but things have gotten too crazy at work to take next week off, everyone else is already out with flu. This at least gives me enough time to rearrange schedules. Folks here were correct in that it takes about 9 months, sent my stuff in the end of June 2013. Luckily I live about 45 minutes from Georgetown and will be able to commute. Really looking forward to the class. Will be taking a couple of NRA classes at KR near Giddings this next weekend (a little longer commute), Home Firearms Safety and Personal Protection In The Home.
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

eetheredge

Post by eetheredge »

I also will be there.

kg5ie

Post by kg5ie »

n5wd wrote:Got my invite to the March 11-14, 2014 Instructor Class in Georgetown, today. The timing couldn't be better - it's during our Spring Break, so I won't have to take any personal leave for the class.

Am I correct that the Georgetown La Quinta is the best/closest to the training site?

Looking forward to meeting some of y'all and getting my instructor's license. Gonna have to work on the revolver skills a bit, as well.

So, who else is going?
Wayne,

Congrats on the invite. Let me know if I can help you out in any way after you "graduate".

Bill Davis [kg5ie]
TX LTC Instructor / School Safety Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor
http://safe-2-carry.com

skeathley

Post by skeathley »

I will be there, too. Looking forward to meeting some people from the Dallas area.

SK
Texas LTC Instructor / RSO / SSC
Viet Nam Veteran: 25th Infantry, Cu Chi
https://mckinneyfirearmstraining.com

Topic author
n5wd

Post by n5wd »

kg5ie wrote:
n5wd wrote:Got my invite to the March 11-14, 2014 Instructor Class in Georgetown, today. The timing couldn't be better - it's during our Spring Break, so I won't have to take any personal leave for the class.

So, who else is going?
Wayne,

Congrats on the invite. Let me know if I can help you out in any way after you "graduate".

Thanks, Will do!

mattdfw
Posts in topic: 2

Post by mattdfw »

Hello all,

I attended the class in early January. If anyone has any questions about it, feel free to ask.

I would highly recommend the Best Western hotel on San Gabriel Dr. for a number of reasons (use the CHL discount code). It's clean,
has a gun friendly staff, and is on the correct side of the highway. While they don't have in-room safes, they did electronically seal my room (at my request, didn't want the maids in there).

On the adjacent side of the highway there is a Wall-mart (less than a mile off Williams DR.), to the south, there is a H.E.B. Grocery store on the same side at 35/University, and if you head west on University, there is a Walgreen's on the right.

If you like coffee from McDonald's in the morning, leave this hotel and head North on the 35 access road (Mc Donald's has a really messed up parking lot, this is the only decent way to get there).

Concealed carry is fine in class, it took a few days for people to get that threw their heads... There are no 30.06 signs at the community center, obviously no 51% signs... Expect to see some semi-open carry, those are cops.

If you choose to shoot on the first relay, you better bring gloves if it's cold out.

Targets are turn-style, meaning they flip left to right, then turn back. It's not hard at all.

Any violation of safety rules, they will remove you from the range. We had one removed.

Once entering the DPS range in Florence (driving in), stay to the left and drive about a mile. That is where the pistol range is.

At the Best Western I stayed at, there was a fridge and microwave in the room. Tv dinners and pizza left-overs feed me, cheaper than
eating out every night. I made a few friends that stayed at the Candlewood Suites where there was a little kitchen (range top),
but I can' t speak to that. They seemed happy...

Good Luck,

Matt

AF-Odin

Post by AF-Odin »

Matt

Thanks for the information. I won't be needing a hotel as I am only 45 minutes from Georgetown and have to drive by the DPS facility in Florence to get there, but good information.

Any info on the classes and test? Not looking for answers, but format. IE: 50 minute classes with break, 2 hours without break, is test completely closed book/notes or are you allowd to use book/notes like most NRA classes.....Do they allow coffee in class?

Can't wait to get to class.
AF-Odin
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

mattdfw
Posts in topic: 2

Post by mattdfw »

Hi,

The class runs 8-5 with usually a 45 min lunch. We usually took breaks every 50 mins - 1 hour (10 min).

The test is Scan-tron, 85 questions and closed book. It's multiple choice and very easy. Not a single person failed it and we had 154 in my class. I believe most classes are about 80 students though.

Coffee, drinks and snacks are fine. As a matter of fact, they do have a concession table set-up in the room that runs on the 'honor system', so be sure to bring some dollar bills if you want anything. They do brew fresh coffee every break in the morning, however, it isn't the best and if you're not sitting on the left side of the room, don't count on getting any. If you want to be the first in the restroom, then sit on the right side... :)

On the first morning you need to be there early to register (with ID), at that time you will be given a name badge that is used for ID purposes for the rest of the week. You'll also need that ID badge when at the range in Florence.

At no time in the class is audio or video recording permitted (or picture taking). Don't bother bringing your laptop or tablet.

For every section they cover, you will receive a hand out which becomes part of your personal instructor lesson plan (it's a printed version of the power point on screen). There is plenty of room on it for note taking in each slides 'notes' area. You'll also be provided a 3-ring binder with tabs for free. When you get there on morning one, all that stuff along with a pencil will be in front of every seat. In other words, you don't need to bring anything.

I would recommend you bring a back-up semi to the range. During our class we had 5-6 guns go down (broken firing pins etc.). Make sure your revolver isn't susceptible to hammer push-off, a trooper will inspect each firearm used.

Overall, I really enjoyed the class. Not so much for the content of the course, but for the quality of the people I met and was surrounded by all week. Don't miss the opportunity to network with other people.

I'm sorry for being a little long here, hopefully a little I've written here might help someone.

Anyhow, good luck to everyone.

Matt

AF-Odin

Post by AF-Odin »

Matt

Thanks, exactly what I was looking for. As a matter of fact, I was thinking of bringing both a back up semi and revolver. Would not have worried about either except last weekend at my first revolver practice in a while, had a problem with my S&W Model 19 having a light strike on several rounds. Took it home and upon inspection found that the screw for tension on the mainspring had backed out a turn or two. Tightened it up (with a drop of Loc-Tite), but have not had a chance to retest yet.

Thanks again.
AF-Odin
NRA & TSRA Life Member

AF-Odin

Post by AF-Odin »

Getting to be about 10 days out from class start and have not seen any comms from DPS since original acknowledgement that I was registered for the 11-14 march class. Unfortunately no longer have that email as that computer was eaten by a rather nasty virus and is still being rebuilt. When should I expect more info from DPS? Really don't want to bug them, but if i haven't heard by a week out, will email/call.
AF-Odin
NRA & TSRA Life Member

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

If DPS sent attachments with map and time with confirmation then you will not receive anything till you show up at class.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

AF-Odin

Post by AF-Odin »

Twomillenium

Thanks. Guess I will have to call them and ask for a resend as the original email was eaten when the computer crashed.
AF-Odin
NRA & TSRA Life Member

Topic author
n5wd

Post by n5wd »

AF-Odin wrote:Twomillenium

Thanks. Guess I will have to call them and ask for a resend as the original email was eaten when the computer crashed.

And we got that taken care for AF-Odin a little bit earlier today.

Return to “Instructors' Corner”