Time lag on new/renewal CHL

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
switch
Posts in topic: 1

Time lag on new/renewal CHL

Post by switch »

How long is it taking to process CHLs now?

My nephew applied back in Oct and the web-site has NOT been updated. :(

I applied to renew by CHL before Christmas AND sent in my DD214 - still nothing on the website.

tarkus

Re: Time lag on new/renewal CHL

Post by tarkus »

I think they have 90 days on new applications before it's considered late, and 45 or 60 days on renewals. I'm pretty sure it's in the administrative code but don't have it handy.
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If it's on the internet, thank a geek.

tbrown

Post by tbrown »

Texas Government Code

Sec. 411.177. ISSUANCE OR DENIAL OF LICENSE.
(a) The department shall issue a license to carry a concealed handgun to an applicant if the applicant meets all the eligibility requirements and submits all the application materials. The department may issue a license to carry handguns only of the categories for which the applicant has demonstrated proficiency in the form and manner required by the department. The department shall administer the licensing procedures in good faith so that any applicant who meets all the eligibility requirements and submits all the application materials shall receive a license. The department may not deny an application on the basis of a capricious or arbitrary decision by the department.
(b) The department shall, not later than the 60th day after the date of the receipt by the director's designee of the completed application materials:
(1) issue the license;
(2) notify the applicant in writing that the application was denied:
(A) on the grounds that the applicant failed to qualify under the criteria listed in Section 411.172;
(B) based on the affidavit of the director's designee submitted to the department under Section 411.176(c); or
(C) based on the affidavit of the qualified handgun instructor submitted to the department under Section 411.188(k); or
(3) notify the applicant in writing that the department is unable to make a determination regarding the issuance or denial of a license to the applicant within the 60-day period prescribed by this subsection and include in that notification an explanation of the reason for the inability and an estimation of the amount of time the department will need to make the determination.
(c) Failure of the department to issue or deny a license for a period of more than 30 days after the department is required to act under Subsection (b) constitutes denial.

Also see Sec. 411.180. NOTIFICATION OF DENIAL, REVOCATION, OR SUSPENSION OF LICENSE.
sent to you from my safe space in the hill country

kg5ie

Post by kg5ie »

switch wrote:How long is it taking to process CHLs now?

My nephew applied back in Oct and the web-site has NOT been updated. :(

I applied to renew by CHL before Christmas AND sent in my DD214 - still nothing on the website.

One of my students applied in Oct. with a DD214 and he received his plastic last week. Another student in a later class got his in 6 weeks, actually earlier than the first example. I suspect it depends on the person and how long their respective background check takes. I received my renewal in less than three weeks.
Bill Davis [kg5ie]
TX LTC Instructor / School Safety Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor
http://safe-2-carry.com

infoman

Post by infoman »

It's taking 90 days for new apps, & 60-70 days on Renewals.

kjolly
Posts in topic: 2

Post by kjolly »

My wife is up to 70 days now with no updates on the site. I'm teaching a class this Sat. and have no idea what to tell them.
Texas CHL Instructor, NRA Certified Trainer, IDPA
NRA Range Safety Officer

http://www.tacticalpistol.us

Napier

Post by Napier »

My November app took six weeks.

Napier

Post by Napier »

My November app took six weeks.

jbarn

Post by jbarn »

tbrown wrote:Texas Government Code

Sec. 411.177. ISSUANCE OR DENIAL OF LICENSE.
(a) The department shall issue a license to carry a concealed handgun to an applicant if the applicant meets all the eligibility requirements and submits all the application materials. The department may issue a license to carry handguns only of the categories for which the applicant has demonstrated proficiency in the form and manner required by the department. The department shall administer the licensing procedures in good faith so that any applicant who meets all the eligibility requirements and submits all the application materials shall receive a license. The department may not deny an application on the basis of a capricious or arbitrary decision by the department.
(b) The department shall, not later than the 60th day after the date of the receipt by the director's designee of the completed application materials:
(1) issue the license;
(2) notify the applicant in writing that the application was denied:
(A) on the grounds that the applicant failed to qualify under the criteria listed in Section 411.172;
(B) based on the affidavit of the director's designee submitted to the department under Section 411.176(c); or
(C) based on the affidavit of the qualified handgun instructor submitted to the department under Section 411.188(k); or
(3) notify the applicant in writing that the department is unable to make a determination regarding the issuance or denial of a license to the applicant within the 60-day period prescribed by this subsection and include in that notification an explanation of the reason for the inability and an estimation of the amount of time the department will need to make the determination.
(c) Failure of the department to issue or deny a license for a period of more than 30 days after the department is required to act under Subsection (b) constitutes denial.

Also see Sec. 411.180. NOTIFICATION OF DENIAL, REVOCATION, OR SUSPENSION OF LICENSE.

You missed the section that advises that DPS has 30 days to get the packet to their designee

DPS has 90 days
Texas CHL Instructor
Texas DPS Certified Private Security Classroom and Firearms Instructor
TCLEOSE Instructor (now TCOLE)

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

I have a student who applied end of Sept., He called 2 weeks ago and held till he got a real person. He was told some take longer and they had received everything and the person also said that he did not see anything that was negative and to be patient. 2 weeks later and still nothing.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

PBR

Post by PBR »

i renewed mine jan 3rd and received it in the mail yesterday -- less than 4 wks but this was for renewal
Houston, Tx.
DPS Received - Jan. 26th
Received Pin# - Feb. 25th
IN HAND!!!!!! June 9th

kjolly

Post by kjolly »

Wife has been notified that hers is in the mail. Right at 90 days.
Texas CHL Instructor, NRA Certified Trainer, IDPA
NRA Range Safety Officer

http://www.tacticalpistol.us

cbucher

Post by cbucher »

My renewal was less than 4 weeks
If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. – The Dalai Lama

paperchunker

Post by paperchunker »

Did my wife's renewal online Feb 9. Status "Mailed" today..10 days :thumbs2:
NRA/LTC Instructor
NRA Patriot Life- Endowment Member

jmra

Post by jmra »

paperchunker wrote:Did my wife's renewal online Feb 9. Status "Mailed" today..10 days :thumbs2:
That's awesome.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Return to “Instructors' Corner”