Aggravated at lack of instructor renewal classes

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

MoJo
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Aggravated at lack of instructor renewal classes

Post by MoJo »

WildBill wrote:How long do the instructor certs last?

2 years. :tiphat:
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

sjfcontrol
Posts in topic: 1

Post by sjfcontrol »

instructor certs expire on December 31 of odd-numbered years.
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

switch

Post by switch »

2 years, unless your first class was an even numbered year, then your first cert was only good for 1 year.

They were delinquent in telling us we had to be NRA certified but once I heard it, I never had any indication that it was NOT required or not permanent. I think they should have given us more time, at least one cycle. They seem to enforce whichever parts of the law they want too. :(

We have never renewed w/other instructors. This cycle, we had to shoot/show proficiency w/fellow instructors. Last cycle, we did not have to shoot, renewed online by taking a computer quiz. :) I assume, we'll get to renew online next bi-annual renewal.

I'm glad they moved the renewal class about the state. It was a hassle to drive to Georgetown every 2 years. They are making it easier and easier. :)

cw3van

Post by cw3van »

jbarn wrote:
VMI77 wrote:
steven8669 wrote:I would have started sooner to renew but the law didn't change til September. If I would have renewed with another instructor, the way it used to be, I would have had to do it twice. Plus it seemed like the requirement to get the NRA certification was up in the air for awhile, so I waited til it was for sure to knock it out. I guess I'm just frustrated with the whole process. They never even sent me an email about renewing, I have to get all my info from this website. They pay no attention to me for two years, never passing me updates, like when the requirement for the CHL-6 and photos went away. I read that on here and then just implemented it to see if it was true. How hard would it be to get an email listserv and send updates like this to us real-time? Then they make me head down to Georgetown for a whole day, to give me no new information. Why do we need to go to this renewal class? Is there some new information out there? If so, email it to me via a powerpoint presentation.

I don't understand that because I got a letter in the mail from DPS to renew my CHL about 8 months in advance of expiration.

My Instructor cert expired Dec of 2013. In May of 2013 I received my notice.
:iagree: Received my renewal several months before expiration so went to work.
cw3van
Retired LEO
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member,

Markeik

Post by Markeik »

I renewed all my certs in January and have yet to be scheduled for my class! DPS RSD should be investigated for how this is failing so miserably!! No excuse, no exception! I have lost several thousand dollars in refunds not to mention lost revenue from Students going else where. This makes me sick to my stomach that of all Departments, DPS has failed us so miserably

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Markeik wrote:I renewed all my certs in January and have yet to be scheduled for my class! DPS RSD should be investigated for how this is failing so miserably!! No excuse, no exception! I have lost several thousand dollars in refunds not to mention lost revenue from Students going else where. This makes me sick to my stomach that of all Departments, DPS has failed us so miserably
First off, welcome to the forum.

Secondly, DPS sent out notifications to all instructors early last year advising the new requirements and that all instructors would have to go through a renewal class. Why did you not get it done last year before you expired?
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Return to “Instructors' Corner”