NRA Recertification Future Requirements

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

kg5ie
Posts in topic: 6

Re: NRA Recertification Future Requirements

Post by kg5ie »

RossA wrote:That could be a problem until they get that rearranged. If I understand correctly, CHL holder information is confidential and I do not have the authority to release my student information to anyone but the state.
:iagree:
Bill Davis [kg5ie]
TX LTC Instructor / School Safety Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor
http://safe-2-carry.com

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

RossA wrote:That could be a problem until they get that rearranged. If I understand correctly, CHL holder information is confidential and I do not have the authority to release my student information to anyone but the state.
I think we're okay for two reasons. First, §411.192 limits only DPS authority to disclose information contained in the DPS files concerning a CHL. Secondly, when we "register" a student on the NRA instructor website, they are not a CHL holder yet, they are just a student. They may or may not choose to obtain the license.

Chas.
Tex. Gov't Code §411.192 wrote:Sec. 411.192. CONFIDENTIALITY OF RECORDS. (a) The department shall disclose to a criminal justice agency information contained in its files and records regarding whether a named individual or any individual named in a specified list is licensed under this subchapter. Information on an individual subject to disclosure under this section includes the individual's name, date of birth, gender, race, zip code, telephone number, e-mail address, and Internet website address. Except as otherwise provided by this section and by Section 411.193, all other records maintained under this subchapter are confidential and are not subject to mandatory disclosure under the open records law, Chapter 552.

(b) An applicant or license holder may be furnished a copy of disclosable records regarding the applicant or license holder on request and the payment of a reasonable fee.

(c) The department shall notify a license holder of any request that is made for information relating to the license holder under this section and provide the name of the agency making the request.

(d) The department shall make public and distribute to the public at no cost lists of individuals who are certified as qualified handgun instructors by the department and who request to be included as provided by Subsection (e). The department shall include on the lists each individual's name, telephone number, e-mail address, and Internet website address. The department shall make the list available on the department's Internet website.

(e) An individual who is certified as a qualified handgun instructor may request in writing that the department disclose all or part of the information described by Subsection (d) regarding the individual. The department shall include all or part of the individual's information on the list as requested.

MoJo
Posts in topic: 2

Post by MoJo »

Here's what I did. I filled out the student information using first initial, last name, age 99, NA for address, and my telephone, email, and zip. I submitted the report and it looks like they took it. Use of the student's initials should work too.
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

RossA
Banned

Post by RossA »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
I think we're okay for two reasons. First, §411.192 limits only DPS authority to disclose information contained in the DPS files concerning a CHL. Secondly, when we "register" a student on the NRA instructor website, they are not a CHL holder yet, they are just a student. They may or may not choose to obtain the license."

Even if the law prohibits only DPS from giving out the student's information, to me it is apparent that the intent of the law is to protect the student's identity. I certainly wouldn't want an NRA instructor to give my information to the NRA for a non-NRA class. If I am taking an NRA class, I assume that the NRA has a record of that. But if it's not an NRA class, I have no idea that an instructor is giving my personal information to NRA without my knowledge or permission.
This privacy thing is kind of important to me. I'll bet I'm not the only one.
God and the soldier we adore,
In times of danger, not before.
The danger gone, the trouble righted,
God's forgotten, the soldier slighted.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

RossA wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:
I think we're okay for two reasons. First, §411.192 limits only DPS authority to disclose information contained in the DPS files concerning a CHL. Secondly, when we "register" a student on the NRA instructor website, they are not a CHL holder yet, they are just a student. They may or may not choose to obtain the license."

Even if the law prohibits only DPS from giving out the student's information, to me it is apparent that the intent of the law is to protect the student's identity. I certainly wouldn't want an NRA instructor to give my information to the NRA for a non-NRA class. If I am taking an NRA class, I assume that the NRA has a record of that. But if it's not an NRA class, I have no idea that an instructor is giving my personal information to NRA without my knowledge or permission.
This privacy thing is kind of important to me. I'll bet I'm not the only one.
I interpreted your comment to mean you were concerned that putting student information in the NRA database would violate Texas law. My response was directed to that issue.

I now better understand your point. You have two basic choices to retain your NRA certification. Either teach one or more NRA classes (I'll be doing that), or notify your students that you will be providing their names and information to the NRA in order to meet Texas CHL instructor eligibility requirements.

Chas.

RossA
Banned

Post by RossA »

OK, I went to the NRA site and tried to register a course that I have already taught. There was no place to input a student's name. In fact, it appeared that it was only allowing me to pre-register future courses, not past ones that weren't already listed.

kg5ie

Post by kg5ie »

RossA wrote:OK, I went to the NRA site and tried to register a course that I have already taught. There was no place to input a student's name. In fact, it appeared that it was only allowing me to pre-register future courses, not past ones that weren't already listed.

If the class you registered was in the past, you will not be able to add another one until you complete the class report. Go to manage courses and students. Click on Edit Submit. The course you registered should appear. At the top, click on Register Student. That is where you manually build your roster.

By the way. I contacted my NRA Training Counselor and explained the dilemma. He recommended entering bogus info like xxxx@xxxx.xxx etc. Not clean but it may get us around the required fields.

Looks like MoJo already figured this out.
Bill Davis [kg5ie]
NRA Pistol Instructor

kg5ie

Post by kg5ie »

kg5ie wrote:
RossA wrote:OK, I went to the NRA site and tried to register a course that I have already taught. There was no place to input a student's name. In fact, it appeared that it was only allowing me to pre-register future courses, not past ones that weren't already listed.

If the class you registered was in the past, you will not be able to add another one until you complete the class report. Go to manage courses and students. Click on Edit Submit. The course you registered should appear. At the top, click on Register Student. That is where you manually build your roster.

By the way. I contacted my NRA Training Counselor and explained the dilemma. He recommended entering bogus info like xxxx@xxxx.xxx etc. Not clean but it may get us around the required fields.

Looks like MoJo already figured this out.

I successfully submitted a report. Used bogus student info for address, phone, email, etc. but reported the time, place, etc. of the class and range correctly. I was then able to mark the paid, attended, passed portion of the report and submit it. It appears it is in the system as a completed "other" class.

We'll see.
Bill Davis [kg5ie]
NRA Pistol Instructor

RossA
Banned

Post by RossA »

kg5ie wrote:

OK, that doesn't work because when you try to register a student, it asks for their NRA ID number. I tried to enter NA for a student and it wouldn't accept it. I guess you can only register students who are NRA members?

sjfcontrol
Posts in topic: 7

Post by sjfcontrol »

RossA wrote:
kg5ie wrote:

OK, that doesn't work because when you try to register a student, it asks for their NRA ID number. I tried to enter NA for a student and it wouldn't accept it. I guess you can only register students who are NRA members?
Even NRA classes are not 100% attended by NRA members. That doesn't make sense. Is it a required field? Could you just leave it blank?
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

kg5ie

Post by kg5ie »

sjfcontrol wrote:
RossA wrote:
kg5ie wrote:

Even NRA classes are not 100% attended by NRA members. That doesn't make sense. Is it a required field? Could you just leave it blank?
First
Last
Address
City
State
Zip
Phone
Email

Leave it blank. Required fields are marked in User Manual.

https://www.nrainstructors.org/Instruct ... sehelp.pdf
Bill Davis [kg5ie]
NRA Pistol Instructor

Return to “Instructors' Corner”