Deadline for class

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

switch
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Deadline for class

Post by switch »

Previously, the 'law' did not specify. The grace period was added aministratively but now conflicts w/the new law.

I don't think the legislators 'meant' to eliminate said grace period. I think the verbage was an over-reaction on their part to some proposed laws that were never passed.

jmra
Posts in topic: 6

Post by jmra »

switch wrote:Previously, the 'law' did not specify. The grace period was added aministratively but now conflicts w/the new law.

I don't think the legislators 'meant' to eliminate said grace period. I think the verbage was an over-reaction on their part to some proposed laws that were never passed.
In that case, I would have to believe a law passed by the legislature would trump something that was previously added administratively.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

tbrown
Posts in topic: 1

Post by tbrown »

jmra wrote:
switch wrote:Previously, the 'law' did not specify. The grace period was added aministratively but now conflicts w/the new law where they conflict.

In that case, I would have to believe a law passed by the legislature would trump something that was previously added administratively.
:iagree:
On one side, there's a law that was passed by the elected Representatives and Senators, and signed by the elected Governor. On the other side, there's an administrative rule made up by a faceless bureaucrat. Where some old rule conflicts with a subsequent law, those with integrity follow the law.
sent to you from my safe space in the hill country

infoman
Posts in topic: 10

Post by infoman »

It's a public relations thing- no way DPS would turn down a renewal that is 1-2 days past their expiration date. We all know many humans procrastinate in general, & there's tons of license holders that renew after they expire. The public would be furious if they did away with the grace period. It also makes DPS look very "anti-gun" to turn down all those renewals. I say no way they drop the grace period anytime soon. If someone on this forum had an older family member who forgot about their renewal & tried to renew 1 day after they expire & were told NO- they would be furious at DPS & probably post their anger on this forum.

jmra
Posts in topic: 6

Post by jmra »

infoman wrote:It's a public relations thing- no way DPS would turn down a renewal that is 1-2 days past their expiration date. We all know many humans procrastinate in general, & there's tons of license holders that renew after they expire. The public would be furious if they did away with the grace period. It also makes DPS look very "anti-gun" to turn down all those renewals. I say no way they drop the grace period anytime soon. If someone on this forum had an older family member who forgot about their renewal & tried to renew 1 day after they expire & were told NO- they would be furious at DPS & probably post their anger on this forum.
So, you are saying public relations should trump law passed by the legislature?
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

infoman
Posts in topic: 10

Post by infoman »

I'm not saying it should or shouldn't, I'm saying it will be. I'm just stating the facts, which the fact is that they are still actively honoring the 1 year grace period & will continue to do so for the foreseeable future. Personally, I'd be cool with them making people re-apply as new apps & forced to take the course over even if 1 day after they expire, but that's just personal opinion. The hard reality is that they are currently honoring the grace period & will continue to do so.

jbarn
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jbarn »

I don't understand the argument. The fact is DPS will process applications for renewal up to 1 year after expiration.

In 2009 DPS became required, under law, to issue private security registrations with a photo of the registrant already attached. They didn't do it until last year....

All of the arguing didnt change that, either.

:thumbs2:
Texas CHL Instructor
Texas DPS Certified Private Security Classroom and Firearms Instructor
TCLEOSE Instructor (now TCOLE)

Barbi Q
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Barbi Q »

jmra wrote:Since they obviously are ignoring the letter of the law they must view it more like suggested guidelines.
Maybe people with expired licenses shouldn't renew. Save some money and carry anywhere they want, because 30.06 and 51% are just suggested guidelines. :shock:
If anyone is raped, beaten or murdered on a college campus from this day forward
The senators who blocked SB 354 from being considered on 4/7/11 and
The members of the house calendar committee who haven't scheduled HB 750
Have the victims' blood on their hands.

Return to “Instructors' Corner”