Post by Charles L. Cotton »

RoyGBiv wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:
kg5ie wrote:
CoolBreeze wrote:
kg5ie wrote:Thanks Wayne and infoman,

I suspected that. I'll pass the word.

A fellow HAM operator!

So is Wayne N5WD above. We need to have a HAM - CHL convention! ;-)

Bill
Although not a convention, we will have an Allstar node for the Forum in the not to distant future.

Chas.
Is nobody worried about OpSec, posting your station call sign or using it as your handle here? :confused5

Not something I would do with a bit of information so easily linked back to my address. YMMV, of course.
I've recently seen licensees on FCC.gov listed with PO Boxes only, so I guess that's an option for hams. Although others may not agree, I'm so easily found that I don't worry about it. If they're friendly we'll have coffee, if not, we'll have a fight. Either way, it'll be entertaining. :smilelol5:

Chas.

Topic author
kg5ie
Posts in topic: 7

Re: Class Held by Expired CHL Instructor

Post by kg5ie »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
RoyGBiv wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:
kg5ie wrote:
CoolBreeze wrote:
kg5ie wrote:Thanks Wayne and infoman,

I suspected that. I'll pass the word.

A fellow HAM operator!

So is Wayne N5WD above. We need to have a HAM - CHL convention! ;-)

Bill
Although not a convention, we will have an Allstar node for the Forum in the not to distant future.

Chas.
Is nobody worried about OpSec, posting your station call sign or using it as your handle here? :confused5

Not something I would do with a bit of information so easily linked back to my address. YMMV, of course.
I've recently seen licensees on FCC.gov listed with PO Boxes only, so I guess that's an option for hams. Although others may not agree, I'm so easily found that I don't worry about it. If they're friendly we'll have coffee, if not, we'll have a fight. Either way, it'll be entertaining. :smilelol5:

Chas.
:iagree:
Bill Davis [kg5ie]
TX LTC Instructor / School Safety Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor
http://safe-2-carry.com

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 1

Post by The Annoyed Man »

mommagamber wrote:My neighbor, who is also a chl inst., has been teaching on an expired license and then when his students are getting letters back from DPS he is refusing to refund money. I find this highly immoral. Even if it was an accidental oversight (which I find hard to believe). Another of my CHL friends has written a letter and turned him in to DPS. What urks me even more is when I started teaching he gave me all sorts of grief and issues since I lived so close he felt I was impeding on "his" territory.
It's not only immoral, it is fraudulent behavior which is (or ought to be) punishable by law. Have you filed a complaint with your local DA against him yet?
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

mommagamber
Posts in topic: 2

Post by mommagamber »

I haven't done anything. I don't know any of the people personally. I know he got turned into DPS but not sure if they will do anything? My friend said he was going to refer the people that need to retake the class to me but I am on vaca till August.
I conceal carry because I choose not to be a victim.

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

If the DPS already knows about it and is informing his students, then I suggest letting his students or the DPS handle it unless you feel like following thru with the complaint. The fact that he refused the refund might put him past accidental and into intentional fraud. Who knows, his may not be allowed to recertify if this is brought to the attention of the DPS. I remember them talking about integrity more than once during class.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

hillfighter
Banned

Post by hillfighter »

twomillenium wrote:If the DPS already knows about it and is informing his students, then I suggest letting his students or the DPS handle it unless you feel like following thru with the complaint. The fact that he refused the refund might put him past accidental and into intentional fraud. Who knows, his may not be allowed to recertify if this is brought to the attention of the DPS. I remember them talking about integrity more than once during class.
:iagree: If he refused to refund their money it sounds like a fraud or theft offense.
"support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic"

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

hillfighter wrote:
twomillenium wrote:If the DPS already knows about it and is informing his students, then I suggest letting his students or the DPS handle it unless you feel like following thru with the complaint. The fact that he refused the refund might put him past accidental and into intentional fraud. Who knows, his may not be allowed to recertify if this is brought to the attention of the DPS. I remember them talking about integrity more than once during class.
:iagree: If he refused to refund their money it sounds like a fraud or theft offense.
I generally don't like cliques, but "what goes around comes around."
NRA Endowment Member

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

WildBill wrote:
hillfighter wrote:

I don't like cliques or cliches. :biggrinjester:
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

mojo84 wrote:
WildBill wrote:
hillfighter wrote:

Cliché - I knew that didn't look right. :oops:
NRA Endowment Member

Topic author
kg5ie

Post by kg5ie »

WildBill wrote:
mojo84 wrote:
WildBill wrote:
hillfighter wrote:

Cliché - I knew that didn't look right. :oops:

Auto-correct is my worst enema. :lol:
Bill Davis [kg5ie]
NRA Pistol Instructor

Topic author
kg5ie

Post by kg5ie »

By the way, regarding the OP. I have since found out this instructor is not returning emails or phone calls either. Must be more than one doing this. :oops:

I had two of his students in my class last Sat.
Bill Davis [kg5ie]
NRA Pistol Instructor

jsjc458

Post by jsjc458 »

Just got a call from one of our students she took our class back in April 2013 when my Partner was instructing the class. She said that DPS sent her a letter same as the above stating that the instructor was expired. My partner no longer teaches he let his cert expire Dec 2013. But he was an instructor at the time of the class but no longer is one. So I asked the girl to email me a copy of the letter so I can contact DPS. She is within the 2 year window on the CHL 100 so I think DPS has made a mistake.

Joe

Grog

Post by Grog »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:I've recently seen licensees on FCC.gov listed with PO Boxes only, so I guess that's an option for hams.

I've always used my PO Box (Tech in 97', General now).

Signed.... a dirty 4-lander :biggrinjester:

Return to “Instructors' Corner”