LEO taking CHL class

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Keith B
Posts in topic: 6

Re: LEO taking CHL class

Post by Keith B »

n5wd wrote:
Keith... Sorry for re-quoting your post in its entirety, but need to in order to ask the following: No where in there requires a peace officer to involve a CHL instructor in the process. From what I read, a peace officer applying under 41.1991 would apply directly to DPS, correct?

So back to the OP: If a peace officer (or someone otherwise eligible under 41.1991 to bypass the course) wants to take a CHL class from me, he/she can, and it would be processed like any other applicant, correct?
Nope, don't need a CHL instructor. Just get the paperwork required by the statute and send to DPS. However, it may be easier for a LEO to just go through the class if their department administration is not keen on providing the documentation. While they are legally required to provide it, it may be more hassle than paying the fee and getting the license on their own.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

gringo pistolero
Posts in topic: 1

Post by gringo pistolero »

:iagree: If they don't want special treatment they have the option to follow the same rules as other civilians.
I sincerely apologize to anybody I offended by suggesting the Second Amendment also applies to The People who don't work for the government.

TeXD9
Posts in topic: 2

Post by TeXD9 »

Thank you n5wd, I did not ask my question properly to convey my confusion but your post has given me what I needed to know. I was unsure as to whether a LEO needed to come to us to apply for a Chl or if there was another process.

Return to “Instructors' Corner”