Suggestions for a web host ?

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
Neverpanic1
Posts in topic: 2

Suggestions for a web host ?

Post by Neverpanic1 »

I don't have a website, but have been considering one. I've been using Facebook and it's working great, but I'm seeking a website for the mere fact that I can have some kind of online pre-payment method for my classes. Lately, I've had several "no shows" and I have had deposits mentioned..
Just seeking a list of cheap, easy-to-use, web servers.. TIA, guys/gals !!!
Texas LTC Instructor/ NRA Certified Instructor

Unicorn Rancher
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Suggestions for a web host ?

Post by Unicorn Rancher »

Do you need the host to handle secure online payments, or do you have that all sorted and merely need hosting for your content? What volume of traffic do you expect and what are your uptime requirements?

I have used a small virtual host for several years and pay $25/year for their mid-tier plan. It suits my needs but I registered my first .com in college, so I don't need a lot of extra services. I just need space on a web server with decent uptime and connectivity. YMMV

n5wd

Post by n5wd »

Neverpanic1 wrote:... but I'm seeking a website for the mere fact that I can have some kind of online pre-payment method for my classes. Lately, I've had several "no shows" and I have had deposits mentioned..
Just seeking a list of cheap, easy-to-use, web servers.. TIA, guys/gals !!!
I run my website(s) on HostGator, out of Houston (and more recently, also in Austin). They're very cost-effective for low-traffic shared host sites and monitor their loads pretty carefully to make sure that someone isn't hogging all of the resources. They have templates available for websites, and help with e-commerce setup as well. Count that as a recommendation for HostGator http://hostgator.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA-Life member, NRA Instructor, NRA RSO, TSRA member,
Vietnam (AF) Veteran -- Amateur Extra class amateur radio operator: N5WD

Email: CHL@centurylink.net

TomV

Post by TomV »

I use host gator for my business now and have used 3 Essentials in the past. Satisfied with both.
http://www.3atatraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

healthinsp wrote:I use host gator for my business now and have used 3 Essentials in the past. Satisfied with both.
+1 for Hostgator. I used them for a sizable business site a few years ago and was extremely satisfied with service, access to software, and price.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

I have heard Bluehost is really good
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

LAYGO
Posts in topic: 3

Post by LAYGO »

http://asmallorange.com/hosting/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've been happy with ASO (A Small Orange). I like their automation tools to install frameworks, etc.

A small webpage with a checkout using Paypal is always possible. Expect them to get their fees though for the convenience.
S&W M&P 40 Mid (EDC) - S&W Shields (his/hers) - S&W M&P .45C - S&W 4513TSW .45 (1st Gen, retired to nightstand)
CMMG AR15 w/ACOG
Anderson AR15 pistol w/Aimpoint H1

08/04/2013 CHL class taken - plastic rec'd 08/26! Renewed 2018

kg5ie

Post by kg5ie »

godaddy.com
Bill Davis [kg5ie]
TX LTC Instructor / School Safety Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor
http://safe-2-carry.com

tacticool

Post by tacticool »

kg5ie wrote:godaddy.com
:ack:

never again!
When in doubt
Vote them out!

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

tacticool wrote:
kg5ie wrote:godaddy.com
:ack:

never again!
What's wrong with godaddy?
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

katmandu

Post by katmandu »

I do this kind of stuff for a living.

Bluehost, A Small Orange, and Hostgator are now all owned by the same company, EIG. Hostgator is OK for the money, but in my view they aren't what they used to be before the takeover. EIG is consolidating data centers for all their companies to Utah.

If you want the best, go with Rackspace or Liquidweb. They cost more but are worth it in my opinion.

Regardless, I recommend a Cpanel-based host. Cpanel is the most widely used hosting control panel, and for good reason, as most people find it fairly intuitive.

Media Temple is pretty good, but they don't use Cpanel.

Godaddy used to have a proprietary control panel, but they now use Cpanel too. I'd avoid them, because 1) I register my domains there, and I think you should keep your domains & host separate - don't give one company too much control, and 2) Some things, like simply creating a new database, take a long time to process, where with most Cpanel-based hosts the database is created instantly.

My own personal favorite host in the lower-end price range is a hidden gem called A2 Hosting.

You might also check out MDD Hosting and Siteground. I've had clients who've been very happy with both.

Paypal and Stripe both make it pretty easy to accept payments online.

ffemt300

Post by ffemt300 »

I've been using 1 and 1 for years. Great customer service and a good product.

Topic author
Neverpanic1

Post by Neverpanic1 »

I've heard the problems with Godaddy.com and stirred away. Thanx for the suggestions !
Texas LTC Instructor/ NRA Certified Instructor

92f-fan

Post by 92f-fan »

I also recommend cpanel based sites - very popular and easy to use.
Ive been hosting websites for 15 years. Currently have a dedicated server at a datacenter in Chicago.

Some of the names suggested here are often included in lists of the worst possible hosts.
But then ANY host that offers hosting for under $10 a month is putting your site on a small server with thousands or tens of thousands of other sites. Dont expect much and expect that everything will cost extra. You should expect that the site will not be very responsive but then again you dont need it to be if its low volume

I would strongly discourage you from attempting to take CC's directly. The liability is very high. Use a CC processor that does ALL work and takes the risk. I know PayPal is not 2nd Amendment friendly but the product is valuable for a reason. I dont allow people on my server to store credit cards directly.

You might look at a service like SquareSpace. They have premade templates and low cost. One big down side to many similar sites is your content is NOT portable. If you decide you dont like squarespace - you cant take your site with you

Another template based option you should consider is wordpress.com - some versions are free - you will be shocked to know how many big well known sites are based on or hosted by wordpress. Including time.com, google ventures and the newyorker.com
Wordpress sites should be portable.

good luck

tomdavis

Post by tomdavis »

I also suggest you look at WordPress as the site engine and then buy the credit card service. There are services that have plugins into the WordPress package. I admit I have not used one of those plugins but have nine WordPress sites online. The software is free and you can load it on your host with your domain name. Many hosts have a service that loads it and sets up the database at no charge. Updates are easy so you stay current on security.

I tried once and finally made an ecommerce site work where the engine was Joomla-never again. Was not Joomla's fault but the process was not automated and I had to learn way more than I wanted to know about details of the banking system.
...for as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom – for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself. Arbroath, 4/6/1320.

Return to “Instructors' Corner”