Instructor renewal

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

howdy
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Instructor renewal

Post by howdy »

sjfcontrol wrote:
howdy wrote:I remember the requal in 2011 was just an online written test..no shooting. They said at that time we would need to shoot at our 2013 requal, but that was it. I too had my NRA Instructor in 2002 when I first went to CHL Instructor school and I too got to take the abbreviated course. We were still shooting at the DPS range in downtown Austin. I let it expire because I never once taught a NRA course. I sent my renewal money in around March of last year. No mention at that time of the NRA requirement. I even thought DPS would have a record of my initial NRA certification. I know many don't agree with this, but I feel the enforcing of the NRA requirement is just a method to weed out the people who are not actively teaching. I was never required to teach shooting skills during a CHL class. Proficiency was require to TAKE the CHL class. I can count on both hands the number of students that required remedial shooting instruction in my 12 years as an Instructor. Now with a 4 hour course, we really do not have time to cover basic shooting skills. I enjoyed the NRA course but it did not enhance my shooting skills nor did it help in the quality of my CHL class. I will not teach a NRA course before my next CHL renewal, and if it expires, then I will probably let my CHL Instructor expire too.
Teaching an NRA class is not required to keep the NRA certification. However, you do need to teach SOMETHING. A CHL class fulfills the NRA teaching requirement. (If that was what you were referring to.)

I do know that only because I read it here on this forum. Look at how much information we all (Instructors) learned about the requal process from these readings. I can't say I learned very much from DPS letters/emails.
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

RossA
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by RossA »

I agree that I have learned more from this forum than I ever learned from DPS. If I relied upon DPS to inform me of my requirements, or of new policies regarding enforcement of certain things, I would have lost my instructor's certificate by now.
God and the soldier we adore,
In times of danger, not before.
The danger gone, the trouble righted,
God's forgotten, the soldier slighted.

twomillenium
Posts in topic: 3

Post by twomillenium »

Bill wrote:
Apparently, my level of intelligence is no match for yours. I'm not worthy. I'm not worthy. I'm not worthy.....
[/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote]

Ahhh don't feel that way, I will admit I learned by happenstance, it was not because the DPS sent out notification or made it common knowledge. I learned because a buddy was applying for his instructor cert..
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

switch
Posts in topic: 1

Post by switch »

Even though they would not refund your payment, I think you can apply it to your renewal. (Not sure for how long. :( ) The 1 year standard they apply to CHL apps my apply here. :(

NRA will let you 'renew' w/i 5 years if you did not pay your instructor cert dues. If past that, you have to re-take the course.
To get Basic Pistol Instructor, you have to had Basic Instructor Training (BIT) w/i 2 years. (I just had to re-take BIT because I want to add Chief Range Safety Officer certs.)
I sympathize w/you and agree that DPS was NOT good about notifying us of their change in interpretation of the law. I don't understand why you did not go ahead and get the NRA out of the way when you had the chance. Courses were being held all over the state. Still are, AFAIK. However, now it may take awhile for you to find/get DPS renewal training. Probably have to go to Austin. :(
I am surprised they would not accept your Suarez training. (OTOH, I understand he does NOT agree with rule 2 - Keep your finger off the trigger. :( )
NRA will let you renew for at least 5 years (or they used too). As someone mentioned, teaching a CHL course would be acceptable to the NRA and allow you to keep your NRA certs. (as long as you paid their fees. :) )

Return to “Instructors' Corner”