Instructor renewal

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
Bill
Posts in topic: 3

Instructor renewal

Post by Bill »

I am considering going ahead with my renewal even though I had a beef with DPS taking my money last year when they were not supposed to and no refund. They did this by mistake and then later to find out NRA courses were required, I think I will go ahead just renew. It seems two NRA courses are required, Basic safety and Instructor handgun, is this correct? I have until Dec 31 to renew and it seems there is a lack of classes in the Houston area.

They have changed this process so many time over the years it makes my head spin.
retired CHL Instructor

howdy
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Instructor renewal

Post by howdy »

I live in Katy and I did my NRA course in Willis near Lake Conroe. You do need 2 courses but the Willis guy teaches the basic instructor course on Friday afternoon then the pistol course on Saturday. He did a good job of keeping the course moving and interesting. He has a hunting lease about 10 miles from his house and you shoot there. You have to shoot a 9" pie plate 20 times at 15 yards and hit it 16 times. We had several people have difficulty with that. One guy missed the plate all 20 times. You can use any caliber and any sights on your pistol or revolver. The Stafford course is also in the Houston area.

If you go to Willis, go to Zach's BBQ for lunch. They have great food and there is a sign on the front door that says handguns are welcome. :mrgreen:

http://www.nrainstructors.org/searchcourse.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

Topic author
Bill

Post by Bill »

thanks for the reply, what I find confusing is why DPS instructors renewal classes are not listed. I would hate to give the 250.00 to NRA only to find that I have to fly to El Paso for DPS class. The only reason I do this is I have some wealthy contacts and the pay me well for class, but I go a little deeper into training. I am sure this was a Political good ole boys thing with the NRA and those in office. They refused my Suarez pistol instructor school certificates which I would bet or more substantial the NRA stuff

So, I will contact DPS and see if there are any classes I can make before end of year BEFORE I commit to the NRA

Just the fact they stole my money before they redesigned the syllabus, well at least they admitted to it

ok end of rant
retired CHL Instructor

victory
Posts in topic: 1

Post by victory »

It sounds like you might be happier without all the hassle. Money isn't everything.

infoman

Post by infoman »

Bill, your beef should be with the legislators, not the DPS employees. They are just enforcing the laws & statues. Plus, a lot of instructors on here were very proactive & took care of their stuff a long time ago. I can tell you too that you won't be able to attend a renewal class until you first send in proof of your NRA stuff. So, you're only delaying yourself more.

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

Bill, the money for an NRA class goes to the instructor who teaches the class not the NRA. NRA gets $35.00 every two years to re-certify the instructor. The requirement for certification has always been in the CHL law and, only now, has it been enforced.

I have to agree with the above two posters, if you are unhappy with the way the program is run the, don't participate.
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

howdy

Post by howdy »

Just think how much work and money you spent to get your Instructor License. It would be easy to just let it expire but I would renew. You can pay for the entire cost of renewal with just one class. Everyone at Church knows I'm an Instructor and I do many classes from there. They like the fact I will be discreet and not let anyone know they have their CHL. I have taught almost every Minister at our Church and I bet I am one of the few that knows that carry all the time. I actually enjoyed the NRA course and I always enjoy the Instructor renewal. Best bunch of people you can be with.
Texas LTC Instructor
USMC 1972-1979

Topic author
Bill

Post by Bill »

I guess I have been misunderstood, It was the fact that DPS sent me renewal notice in 2013 asking for my money to renew but turned around and said no we don't want it but we will not give it back. This was before the NRA decision was in effect. They accepted my prior training and instructor schools and I took the abbreviated instructor class, but now another requirement. I already had NRA course but its only good for two years. I guess its asking to much to find when ,where DPS classes will be held for the remainder of the year.
retired CHL Instructor

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

I'm guessing that there may not be very many instructor renewal classes, as pretty much every instructor that wanted to renew did so before the end of last year ( or shortly there after).

You might want to consider taking the new instructor course to get your cert at this point. Just a suggestion.

Edited to add...

I must admit I sympathize with your concerns. I, too, was miffed when they took my money "by mistake" before we were eligible to renew, then added additional requirements when the time came. They should have offered those paying in advance the option to back out. But they didn't.
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

Bill wrote:I guess I have been misunderstood, It was the fact that DPS sent me renewal notice in 2013 asking for my money to renew but turned around and said no we don't want it but we will not give it back. This was before the NRA decision was in effect. They accepted my prior training and instructor schools and I took the abbreviated instructor class, but now another requirement. I already had NRA course but its only good for two years. I guess its asking to much to find when ,where DPS classes will be held for the remainder of the year.

I think you are the one that has misunderstood. The DPS announced the instructor certification by another acceptable source in 2012. Those who were paying attention did this before renewals were given. It is not a NRA thing. Some folks go out of their way to be offended at someone else even if it is their fault. :banghead:
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

twomillenium wrote:
Bill wrote:I guess I have been misunderstood, It was the fact that DPS sent me renewal notice in 2013 asking for my money to renew but turned around and said no we don't want it but we will not give it back. This was before the NRA decision was in effect. They accepted my prior training and instructor schools and I took the abbreviated instructor class, but now another requirement. I already had NRA course but its only good for two years. I guess its asking to much to find when ,where DPS classes will be held for the remainder of the year.

I think you are the one that has misunderstood. The DPS announced the instructor certification by another acceptable source in 2012. Those who were paying attention did this before renewals were given. It is not a NRA thing. Some folks go out of their way to be offended at someone else even if it is their fault. :banghead:
Really? Do you have a dated notice of that? I don't recall any notices prior to the "false start" for instructor renewals in February of 2013. If you were informed of additional requirements prior to that I'd sure like to see it.

P.s. The CHL-90 form has a rev date of 2/2013
Never Forget. Image

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

sjfcontrol wrote:
twomillenium wrote:

Really? Do you have a dated notice of that? I don't recall any notices prior to the "false start" for instructor renewals in February of 2013. If you were informed of additional requirements prior to that I'd sure like to see it.

Just like the Handbook that was just released says 2013-2014. I scheduled my NRA basic pistol course in Nov 2012 because I was aware that the requirements were now being enforced. Some pay attention better than others and others pay attention better in other areas.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

twomillenium wrote:
sjfcontrol wrote:
twomillenium wrote:

Just like the Handbook that was just released says 2013-2014. I scheduled my NRA basic pistol course in Nov 2012 because I was aware that the requirements were now being enforced. Some pay attention better than others and others pay attention better in other areas.
Apparently, my level of intelligence is no match for yours. I'm not worthy. I'm not worthy. I'm not worthy.....
Never Forget. Image

howdy

Post by howdy »

I remember the requal in 2011 was just an online written test..no shooting. They said at that time we would need to shoot at our 2013 requal, but that was it. I too had my NRA Instructor in 2002 when I first went to CHL Instructor school and I too got to take the abbreviated course. We were still shooting at the DPS range in downtown Austin. I let it expire because I never once taught a NRA course. I sent my renewal money in around March of last year. No mention at that time of the NRA requirement. I even thought DPS would have a record of my initial NRA certification. I know many don't agree with this, but I feel the enforcing of the NRA requirement is just a method to weed out the people who are not actively teaching. I was never required to teach shooting skills during a CHL class. Proficiency was require to TAKE the CHL class. I can count on both hands the number of students that required remedial shooting instruction in my 12 years as an Instructor. Now with a 4 hour course, we really do not have time to cover basic shooting skills. I enjoyed the NRA course but it did not enhance my shooting skills nor did it help in the quality of my CHL class. I will not teach a NRA course before my next CHL renewal, and if it expires, then I will probably let my CHL Instructor expire too.
Texas LTC Instructor
USMC 1972-1979

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

howdy wrote:I remember the requal in 2011 was just an online written test..no shooting. They said at that time we would need to shoot at our 2013 requal, but that was it. I too had my NRA Instructor in 2002 when I first went to CHL Instructor school and I too got to take the abbreviated course. We were still shooting at the DPS range in downtown Austin. I let it expire because I never once taught a NRA course. I sent my renewal money in around March of last year. No mention at that time of the NRA requirement. I even thought DPS would have a record of my initial NRA certification. I know many don't agree with this, but I feel the enforcing of the NRA requirement is just a method to weed out the people who are not actively teaching. I was never required to teach shooting skills during a CHL class. Proficiency was require to TAKE the CHL class. I can count on both hands the number of students that required remedial shooting instruction in my 12 years as an Instructor. Now with a 4 hour course, we really do not have time to cover basic shooting skills. I enjoyed the NRA course but it did not enhance my shooting skills nor did it help in the quality of my CHL class. I will not teach a NRA course before my next CHL renewal, and if it expires, then I will probably let my CHL Instructor expire too.
Teaching an NRA class is not required to keep the NRA certification. However, you do need to teach SOMETHING. A CHL class fulfills the NRA teaching requirement. (If that was what you were referring to.)
Never Forget. Image

Return to “Instructors' Corner”