College campus carry

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
Neverpanic1
Posts in topic: 1

College campus carry

Post by Neverpanic1 »

College professors would not fall under LC 52.062...or would they ? Also some clarification on public and student "non-premise" carry while on college campus and enforceability of 30.06 on college grounds.
Texas LTC Instructor/ NRA Certified Instructor

sagevette

Re: College campus carry

Post by sagevette »

from http://www.armedcampuses.org/texas/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
see also http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/tlodocs/ ... 01907F.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

According to the Texas Penal Code (Tex. Penal Code § 46.03(a) and Tex. Penal Code § 46.03(f) an individuals are prohibited from intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly possessing or going with a firearm on the physical premises of a school or educational institution, any grounds or building on which an activity sponsored by a school or educational institution is being conducted, or in a passenger transportation vehicle of a school or educational institution, whether the school or educational institution is public or private, unless pursuant to written regulations or written authorization of the institution. Concealed weapons permit holders are subject to this prohibition.
NOTE – EXCEPTION FOR GUNS IN VEHICLES
On June 14, 2013, Governor Perry signed into law SB 1907 , which states that an institution of higher education or private or independent institution of higher education may not adopt or enforce any rule, regulation, or other provision or take any other action, including posting notice under Section 30.06, Penal Code, prohibiting or placing restrictions on the storage or transportation of a firearm or ammunition in a locked, privately owned or leased motor vehicle by a person, including a student enrolled at that institution, who holds a license to carry a concealed handgun and lawfully possesses the firearm or ammunition:
(1) on a street or driveway located on the campus of the institution; or
(2) in a parking lot, parking garage, or other parking area located on the campus of the institution.
The Act takes effect September 1, 2013.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

sagevette wrote:from http://www.armedcampuses.org/texas/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
see also http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/tlodocs/ ... 01907F.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

According to the Texas Penal Code (Tex. Penal Code § 46.03(a) and Tex. Penal Code § 46.03(f) an individuals are prohibited from intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly possessing or going with a firearm on the physical premises of a school or educational institution, any grounds or building on which an activity sponsored by a school or educational institution is being conducted, or in a passenger transportation vehicle of a school or educational institution, whether the school or educational institution is public or private, unless pursuant to written regulations or written authorization of the institution. Concealed weapons permit holders are subject to this prohibition.
NOTE – EXCEPTION FOR GUNS IN VEHICLES
On June 14, 2013, Governor Perry signed into law SB 1907 , which states that an institution of higher education or private or independent institution of higher education may not adopt or enforce any rule, regulation, or other provision or take any other action, including posting notice under Section 30.06, Penal Code, prohibiting or placing restrictions on the storage or transportation of a firearm or ammunition in a locked, privately owned or leased motor vehicle by a person, including a student enrolled at that institution, who holds a license to carry a concealed handgun and lawfully possesses the firearm or ammunition:
(1) on a street or driveway located on the campus of the institution; or
(2) in a parking lot, parking garage, or other parking area located on the campus of the institution.
The Act takes effect September 1, 2013.
I am pretty certain that I can legally carry my weapon onto the UTA campus, and have done so a couple of times. As long as I do not enter into any of the buildings or other facilities, and I'm not participating in a school sponsored activity, and I'm not employed by the university, just walking across the campus strapped with a CHL is not a violation of law.

The problem is that who would normally need to walk across a college campus without also needing to enter a building premises? Most of the time, this just isn't going to work for most people who need to be on a college campus.

Also, I believe that campus premises and "school sponsored activities " are separate issues. For example: if my child goes on a classroom field trip to the zoo and I am one of the accompanying adults,
  1. I can't carry if I am riding in the bus with the other children.
  2. I can in my vehicle if I am driving myself to the zoo and meeting the students there, but then I have to disarm and leave the gun in the car.
  3. I can carry if my child is driving to the zoo with me in my car, as long as no other students are in the car with me, and I have to disarm when we arrive and leave my gun in the car.
  4. I cannot carry into the zoo, as long as I am accompanying the kids.
  5. HOWEVER, my wife and I can decide to go to the same zoo by ourselves on the same day, and as long as we are not attaching ourselves to the field trip group, we can carry 'til the cows come home at that same zoo.
Of course, this all assumes that the zoo in question is not posted with a compliant and valid 30.06 sign (a reference to zoos owned by municipalities). Anyway, this is just one example of how a school sponsored activity can affect CHL, even off-campus.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

You can carry on the grounds of a campus. Premises is defined in penal code as 'buildings', so as long as there is not a school sponsored activity being conducted.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Return to “Instructors' Corner”