F-1 non-immigrant alien CHL

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
troglodyte
Posts in topic: 2

F-1 non-immigrant alien CHL

Post by troglodyte »

I got an email this afternoon from a foreign student apparently attending grad school at Texas Tech. His contact information is from the Mech. Eng. Dept. at ttu.edu

Hello Mike

My name is <foreign name> (call me Chuck) and I would like to get a CHL. I am a non-immigrant alien here with a temporary visa. However, I contacted Department of Justice and ATF Office in Lubbock and was able to purchase a firearm since I have a hunting license (and since I've been a resident of Texas for the past 6 months and will stay here for at least 4 more years).

I wonder if I can also get CHL. Can you please inform me?

I responded that I would check in order to give him the correct information.

He responded:

Thanks Mike, I would prefer to be informed complely positive too, rather than doing something wrong. But the info I gave might help the officers give more accurate reply; let me repeat those:

- Right now, my status is a Non-Immigrant Alien with a lawful permit (F1 visa),
- I have a Driver's License in Texas.
- I am living in Lubbock, Texas.
- I have been here for more than 1 year (14 months, to be precise)
- I will live in the USA for at least 4 more years (have F-1 visa and am a graduate student at TTU)
- I am willing to do an OPT, which will allow me to stay in the USA even more than 4 years after I graduate, with a H1 visa.
- I am able to purchase a Resident Hunting License,
- I was able to purchase a gun since I have a hunting license and I am a Texas resident
- I bought my gun through Cabela's Outpost, so they did a thorough background check and confirmed my status, sold me the firearm.

This document over here is important: http://www.atf.gov/files/firearms/faq/n ... iens-2.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Especially Answer 3 legally and explicitly show that I can purchase, own and use a firearm if I have a Hunting License (which I have). However, my main question is about getting a CHL. So, that's where DPS in Austin gets into play I think.

I am looking forward to the outcome.

He is (according to the information provided) a Texas resident, has a TXDL, Hunting License, has purchased a firearm, and has an F-1 visa. After looking at a couple of similar topics and the DPS eligibility (has to be a Texas resident) it looks like he can obtain his CHL but I want to make doubly sure.

kg5ie
Posts in topic: 1

Re: F-1 non-immigrant alien CHL

Post by kg5ie »

It is not the responsibility of the CHL instructor to determine eligibility, although I understand your wanting to provide good information. I would be careful answering due to the fact that he might forfeit his application fee if found ineligible. If he is here on a non-immigrant visa I believe he would be ineligible by federal law. However, the existence of the CHL-40 makes me question my understanding of the statute.

I would direct him to the DPS website to ask his questions.

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

or

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/rsd/contact/default.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bill Davis [kg5ie]
TX LTC Instructor / School Safety Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor
http://safe-2-carry.com

Box

Post by Box »

I'm on a student visa and have gotten mine. My thread here: viewtopic.php?f=36&t=67188" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I glanced over what he said and it is right. If he has an SSN, it will greatly decrease the wait time by using the website compared to mail in applications. I mailed mine in because I did not have a SSN at that time.
28 Sept 2013 Class completed, 29 Jan 2014 Plastic received.

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

Box wrote:I'm on a student visa and have gotten mine. My thread here: viewtopic.php?f=36&t=67188" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I glanced over what he said and it is right. If he has an SSN, it will greatly decrease the wait time by using the website compared to mail in applications. I mailed mine in because I did not have a SSN at that time.
I didn't think they asked for your SSN any more. Did I interpret something wrong?
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Box

Post by Box »

Pawpaw wrote:
Box wrote:I'm on a student visa and have gotten mine. My thread here: viewtopic.php?f=36&t=67188" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I didn't think they asked for your SSN any more. Did I interpret something wrong?
I do not know. The website during september2013, required a SSN to work. The only other way was to mail the application in, this method is not recommended as it takes much longer to clear.

I believe they have changed but I do not have any info to back that up.
28 Sept 2013 Class completed, 29 Jan 2014 Plastic received.

chuck-texas

Post by chuck-texas »

troglodyte wrote:I got an email this afternoon from a foreign student apparently attending grad school at Texas Tech. His contact information is from the Mech. Eng. Dept. at ttu.edu

Hello Mike

My name is <foreign name> (call me Chuck) and I would like to get a CHL. I am a non-immigrant alien here with a temporary visa. However, I contacted Department of Justice and ATF Office in Lubbock and was able to purchase a firearm since I have a hunting license (and since I've been a resident of Texas for the past 6 months and will stay here for at least 4 more years).

I wonder if I can also get CHL. Can you please inform me?

I responded that I would check in order to give him the correct information.

He responded:

Thanks Mike, I would prefer to be informed complely positive too, rather than doing something wrong. But the info I gave might help the officers give more accurate reply; let me repeat those:

- Right now, my status is a Non-Immigrant Alien with a lawful permit (F1 visa),
- I have a Driver's License in Texas.
- I am living in Lubbock, Texas.
- I have been here for more than 1 year (14 months, to be precise)
- I will live in the USA for at least 4 more years (have F-1 visa and am a graduate student at TTU)
- I am willing to do an OPT, which will allow me to stay in the USA even more than 4 years after I graduate, with a H1 visa.
- I am able to purchase a Resident Hunting License,
- I was able to purchase a gun since I have a hunting license and I am a Texas resident
- I bought my gun through Cabela's Outpost, so they did a thorough background check and confirmed my status, sold me the firearm.

This document over here is important: http://www.atf.gov/files/firearms/faq/n ... iens-2.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Especially Answer 3 legally and explicitly show that I can purchase, own and use a firearm if I have a Hunting License (which I have). However, my main question is about getting a CHL. So, that's where DPS in Austin gets into play I think.

I am looking forward to the outcome.

He is (according to the information provided) a Texas resident, has a TXDL, Hunting License, has purchased a firearm, and has an F-1 visa. After looking at a couple of similar topics and the DPS eligibility (has to be a Texas resident) it looks like he can obtain his CHL but I want to make doubly sure.
That would be me! :) I am actually planning to open a topic explaining what I learned throughout this process Mike. It might help others in the future. Thanks for your help all along the way. :)

Oh, and I got my license in about 7 business days just like you expected. ;) No problems at all (other than my terrible picture on the license :P ).

Thanks again.

Topic author
troglodyte

Post by troglodyte »

EXCELLENT!

Glad you're on board. There are many wise folks on the forum. Lots of good information. Soak it all in.

:txflag:

Return to “Instructors' Corner”