A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
dawg557
Posts in topic: 2

New CHL Instructor Question on Retention

Post by dawg557 »

Hey everyone,

I did my first class Saturday and wanted to confirm what I need to send to DPS? It is my understanding that I don't have to keep the tests or targets. I just keep the CHL 100 and give a copy to the student. Also keep the CHL 8. What do I email to Regulatory Services once the course is done? Is it only the CHL 8 that I send or what exactly do I send?

I would appreciate any help.

Jason

longtooth
Posts in topic: 1

Re: New CHL Instructor Question on Retention

Post by longtooth »

Fill out your CHL-8 from the info you have on each student either from a registration form of your own or from the the CHL-100.
Send in the CHL-8. They are required to send in their copy of the CHL100
Keep a copy of each CHL100 & a copy of the CHL8.
You must keep a copy of your records for 3 yrs.
Welcom to the board & to the teaching classroom.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

Topic author
dawg557

Post by dawg557 »

thank you very much. I assume emailing the CHL 8 is the best way. Is that correct?

Thanks for the welcome.

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

dawg557 wrote:thank you very much. I assume emailing the CHL 8 is the best way. Is that correct?

Thanks for the welcome.
Go here: http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/rsd/contact/chl.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and fill out the form to upload the CHL-8
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

dogflight
Posts in topic: 3

Post by dogflight »

Congratulations on your first class! :tiphat:

This is probably more answer than intended by your question, but what you keep is as important as what you send in. There is more to keep than just the CHL-8 and -100. I've not been one of the lucky audited instructors (yet), but to be absolutley and easily prepared, I maintain archived copies (for three years) of:
  • 1. Any course material used in the class (Powerpoint, video, hand-outs, posters, etc)
    2. Any of my own forms that were used in relation to the class (Class Registration, Liability Release, etc)
    3. Any notes that I (the instructor) made during the class
    4. Any forms or reports submitted to DPS (CHL-8, or other communication with DPS regarding the class)
    5. Student records (CHL-100, other student-related forms {LEOSA, etc}, or notes I made about any student)
If it's not already electronic, I scan it and store pdf's of all of the above (one directory per class, one subdirectory per student) on a local hard drive which is backed up locally and "in the cloud". Any paper documents are then shredded. I do not keep copies of written test answer sheets, B27 targets, or the scores.

Should I be audited (or subpoenaed), I can quickly produce all the required documentation about any of my classes.
Certified Texas LTC & NRA Instructor/Basic Pistol.

hankintexas

Post by hankintexas »

I had a conversation with DPS today. Make sure "you" sign the CHL-8 and do not use an electronic signature........ You can fill it out on you computer, but you must print it out and sigh it.
Hank Henry
NRA Instructor / NRA LIFE MEMBER / NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

hankintexas wrote:I had a conversation with DPS today. Make sure "you" sign the CHL-8 and do not use an electronic signature........ You can fill it out on you computer, but you must print it out and sigh it.
Not what they told us in class -- electronic signatures are acceptable. Hmm, I see there is a new CHL-8 form.
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

dogflight

Post by dogflight »

hankintexas wrote:I had a conversation with DPS today. Make sure "you" sign the CHL-8 ...
Another of those all-to-frequent 'depends on who you talk to at DPS' situations, hopefully. Since going paperless, my CHL-8's never exist on paper - they are printed directly to a pdf file, then submitted electronically to DPS. I've been submitting electronic signatures for a little over a year, so I hope your source was mistaken. For those of us who don't keep paper copies of anything, it would be absurd to print a paper version of an electronic document merely to put ink on it and scan it back into a different electronic document.

Of course, since bureaucracy and absurdity are all to often the very best of pals, who knows?

kg5ie

Post by kg5ie »

sjfcontrol wrote:
hankintexas wrote:I had a conversation with DPS today. Make sure "you" sign the CHL-8 and do not use an electronic signature........ You can fill it out on you computer, but you must print it out and sigh it.
Not what they told us in class -- electronic signatures are acceptable. Hmm, I see there is a new CHL-8 form.

Agree. I have an email from them stating that electronic signatures on CHL-8 are good. I print and sign mine anyway.
Bill Davis [kg5ie]
TX LTC Instructor / School Safety Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor
http://safe-2-carry.com

dogflight

Post by dogflight »

superchief wrote:what is an electronic signature? If it was a "real" electronic signature, it would be okay with me. if it is a picture of my signature then I'd be afraid of hackers.
An electronic signature is simply a representation of your mark stored/reproduced electronically. Just a picture, as you say, and vulnerable to quite simple hacking. So, unless you sign the paper and snail-mail it to DPS, you are using an electronic signature. Note also that, although DPS refers to the process as "secure email", it is neither email, nor secure.

By "real" electronic signature, I think you are referring to a digital signature, which is what we should be using. Unfortunately, it would require a level of technical sophistication that DPS is either unable or unwilling to implement.
superchief wrote:if the program would let us enter the CHL 8 names into some sort of on-line data base, then the CHL100 would be redundant.
I'm sure the students would still appreciate something in-hand to document their success, but a secure online portal for CHL Instructors would be a huge step in the right direction (on so very many levels).

glock75

Post by glock75 »

dogflight wrote:Congratulations on your first class! :tiphat:

This is probably more answer than intended by your question, but what you keep is as important as what you send in. There is more to keep than just the CHL-8 and -100. I've not been one of the lucky audited instructors (yet), but to be absolutley and easily prepared, I maintain archived copies (for three years) of:
  • 1. Any course material used in the class (Powerpoint, video, hand-outs, posters, etc)
    2. Any of my own forms that were used in relation to the class (Class Registration, Liability Release, etc)
    3. Any notes that I (the instructor) made during the class
    4. Any forms or reports submitted to DPS (CHL-8, or other communication with DPS regarding the class)
    5. Student records (CHL-100, other student-related forms {LEOSA, etc}, or notes I made about any student)
If it's not already electronic, I scan it and store pdf's of all of the above (one directory per class, one subdirectory per student) on a local hard drive which is backed up locally and "in the cloud". Any paper documents are then shredded. I do not keep copies of written test answer sheets, B27 targets, or the scores.

Should I be audited (or subpoenaed), I can quickly produce all the required documentation about any of my classes.
+1 Same here. Instructors that I know that have been audited told me that the electronic scanned version are preferred by the auditors. Makes it easier for them.

No test results retained,period. Just simple pass/fail.
NRA, DPS and Rangemaster Certified Firearms Instructor
RWDefense.com

Dad24GreatKids

Post by Dad24GreatKids »

dogflight wrote:
superchief wrote:what is an electronic signature? If it was a "real" electronic signature, it would be okay with me. if it is a picture of my signature then I'd be afraid of hackers.
An electronic signature is simply a representation of your mark stored/reproduced electronically. Just a picture, as you say, and vulnerable to quite simple hacking. So, unless you sign the paper and snail-mail it to DPS, you are using an electronic signature. Note also that, although DPS refers to the process as "secure email", it is neither email, nor secure.

By "real" electronic signature, I think you are referring to a digital signature, which is what we should be using. Unfortunately, it would require a level of technical sophistication that DPS is either unable or unwilling to implement.
superchief wrote:if the program would let us enter the CHL 8 names into some sort of on-line data base, then the CHL100 would be redundant.
I'm sure the students would still appreciate something in-hand to document their success, but a secure online portal for CHL Instructors would be a huge step in the right direction (on so very many levels).
I'd be shocked, but pleasantly surprised, if DPS did what was necessary to implement a "real" digital signature. It takes a lot of work to create the legal framework and certificate authority to make this happen.
Dad24GreatKids
NRA Life member
TSRA

Return to “Instructors' Corner”