New CHL-8 Form

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
kg5ie
Posts in topic: 3

New CHL-8 Form

Post by kg5ie »

Forgive me if this has been discussed. I did search but did not find my answer. The new CHL-8 that is on the DPS website is now an official PDF form which is nice. It even now has a drop down menu to select the state and check boxes for the Pass/ Fail.

Now for my question. Has anyone else noticed that, like Excel if set up incorrectly, it drops the leading zeros of the DL #? For example if you put in 00123456, it becomes 123456 and does not show the zeros. Anyone found a way to fix that? Are you sending them in with the zeros missing, since if you go back to the form and click in the form area, the zeros re-appear? If you print it to sign, the zeros are not on the form.

It shortens my instructor # too since it starts with 0.

Thanks,
Bill
Bill Davis [kg5ie]
TX LTC Instructor / School Safety Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor
http://safe-2-carry.com

Topic author
kg5ie

Re: New CHL-8 Form

Post by kg5ie »

Sent in another query on whether or not we should be using this form. Sent one on the 12th and never received a reply. Just beware that if you are typing in the info, then printing it out to sign, the form is removing leading "0"s from the DL numbers. Also removing them from your instructor number too if you have leading "0"s, and I suspect a lot of us do.

I asked if the folks know that when they look at the form if they know to replace any truncated DL numbers with "0"s. The sample I attached had a leading 0 on the DL.
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Bill Davis [kg5ie]
NRA Pistol Instructor

dogflight
Posts in topic: 1

Post by dogflight »

Maybe they'll fix it and repost it. It would take about 3 minutes to open it, reformat the field, and save it correctly.

Then, they'll change the revision number, post it on the forms page flagged as "Updated!", send an email to all instructors, post it on the "Instructor Updates" section of the website, and include its revision in the quarterly newsletter.

What? Oh. Nevermind.
Certified Texas LTC & NRA Instructor/Basic Pistol.

n5wd

Post by n5wd »

kg5ie wrote:Sent in another query on whether or not we should be using this form. Sent one on the 12th and never received a reply. Just beware that if you are typing in the info, then printing it out to sign, the form is removing leading "0"s from the DL numbers. Also removing them from your instructor number too if you have leading "0"s, and I suspect a lot of us do.

I asked if the folks know that when they look at the form if they know to replace any truncated DL numbers with "0"s. The sample I attached had a leading 0 on the DL.

Have you tried the Excel trick of beginning the string with the zero as leading digit with an apostrophe?
NRA-Life member, NRA Instructor, NRA RSO, TSRA member,
Vietnam (AF) Veteran -- Amateur Extra class amateur radio operator: N5WD

Email: CHL@centurylink.net

Topic author
kg5ie

Post by kg5ie »

n5wd wrote:
kg5ie wrote:Sent in another query on whether or not we should be using this form. Sent one on the 12th and never received a reply. Just beware that if you are typing in the info, then printing it out to sign, the form is removing leading "0"s from the DL numbers. Also removing them from your instructor number too if you have leading "0"s, and I suspect a lot of us do.

Have you tried the Excel trick of beginning the string with the zero as leading digit with an apostrophe?

Yep! Won't take any character except a number. No special characters or letters allowed. :???:

They just need to change it to a text field.
Bill Davis [kg5ie]
NRA Pistol Instructor

Trilogy

Post by Trilogy »

I took a different approach to this. I updated my CHL Forms Master and created a exportable CHL-8 in the macro version. This will automatically and your name as a cursive font on the signature line of the form. Not an official "digital signature" but DPS hasn't kicked mine back yet.
Trilogy
CHL Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor & RSO

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

DPS does not care if the leading zeros are dropped. I asked this specific question.

Chas.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Trilogy wrote:I took a different approach to this. I updated my CHL Forms Master and created a exportable CHL-8 in the macro version. This will automatically and your name as a cursive font on the signature line of the form. Not an official "digital signature" but DPS hasn't kicked mine back yet.

Here is the post:
viewtopic.php?p=943880#p943880" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm glad you haven't had a problem, but I strongly suggest that no one try using a printed signature. When I set up CHLregistration.com, I asked DPS of the would accept instructor signatures that are scans of their actual signature. They said that was fine. Nothing was mentioned about printed signatures, but I think that's pushing the envelope.

Chas.

Return to “Instructors' Corner”