Using a Revolver for the CHL Proficiency

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
jamcgowan
Posts in topic: 3

Using a Revolver for the CHL Proficiency

Post by jamcgowan »

Can a DA/SA revolver be shot in Single Action only for the CHL proficiency? I was told at one time that the first shot in each drill had to be in DA and subsequent shots could be in either DA or SA only.

I haven't been able to find anything in the regs about this.

TIA
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA Basic Pistol Instructor, NRA RSO, NRA Life Member, TSRA Member

dogflight
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Using a Revolver for the CHL Proficiency

Post by dogflight »

To the best of my knowledge, nothing in the regs mandates how a firearm is to be manipulated during the Texas Concealed Handgun License
Proficiency Demonstration Course of Fire.
Certified Texas LTC & NRA Instructor/Basic Pistol.

Topic author
jamcgowan

Post by jamcgowan »

dogflight wrote:To the best of my knowledge, nothing in the regs mandates how a firearm is to be manipulated during the Texas Concealed Handgun License
Proficiency Demonstration Course of Fire.
That's kind of my understanding too, however, I was told by another CHL instructor what I indicated above (immediately after he shot his course in Austin) and then told by an employee with Texas Department of Criminal Justice that their qualifications required DA on all shots with at DA/SA revolver. He insisted that that was true for the CHL proficiency too.

TIA
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA Basic Pistol Instructor, NRA RSO, NRA Life Member, TSRA Member

tacticool

Post by tacticool »

Did the TDCJ employee cite the law or was he just blowing smoke up your nether region?

There may be a house rule in the instructor class requiring trigger-cocking but nobody has ever shown me anything in the law or administrative code that requires CHL applicants to refrain from thumb-cocking. In fact, I know somebody who qualified with a Ruger Blackhawk.
When in doubt
Vote them out!

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

There are no requirements defined regarding DA/SA. DPS tries to convince you that you should shoot double action at the instructors class, but it is not a requirement.

Nothing in the admin rules, either.
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

Topic author
jamcgowan

Post by jamcgowan »

Thanks...

I was just hoping that if anyone had heard of such, they would be able to point us to the actual rule...

;-)

tbrown

Post by tbrown »

longtooth wrote:My classes they always shoot single action starting from slide lock.
Do you start with an open cylinder for revolvers? :headscratch

I know the CHL proficiency test has generous time limits but that sounds like an unnecessary complication, especially for CHL applicants who may be nervous enough already if it's their first time shooting on the clock.
sent to you from my safe space in the hill country

Setxjeff

Post by Setxjeff »

My Wife shot a 249/250 on her CHL test with a Taurus 85 3" 5 shot revolver. She shot single action 90% of the time but had plenty of time for the test
TSRA Member
M1 Garand Collectors Association

n5wd

Post by n5wd »

In my instructor class (early this spring) the DPS said that if we wanted to shoot single-action, we had to wait until the time started to cock the pistol. I shot my S&W 586 almost completely single-action that way and had no problem completing all of the shots except for once when I apparently set the first-bullet in the string of 5 loaded, under the hammer when I loaded it. Of course, on my fifth shot it went "CLICK" instead of BANG, so I just double-actioned another shot once I realized what had happened, it went BANG the second time, and the targets turned right after that.

As far as I know, though, there is no rule, law, or common mandate that says you can't shoot a proficiency course single action, but... I would caution students that if they're doing this FOR REAL, then they might want to consider pulling the trigger first, instead of reaching up to cock the gun. Saves a little bit of time that way!
NRA-Life member, NRA Instructor, NRA RSO, TSRA member,
Vietnam (AF) Veteran -- Amateur Extra class amateur radio operator: N5WD

Email: CHL@centurylink.net

V-Tach

Post by V-Tach »

There is no regulation or rule concerning shooting a double action revolver in SA mode.

switch

Post by switch »

DPS strongly encourages carrying in DA mode, and NOT cocking (SA) in self-defense situations.

There is no requirement DA vs SA during proficiency.

OTOH, if you plan on using DA for self-defense, you need to practice DA. Not smart to always shoot SA at the range if you plan to defend yourself DA.

If you have an pistol w/a de-cocker, you might need to shoot the first round DA. :( OTOH, you can legally cock it - after the target turns.

kg5ie

Post by kg5ie »

n5wd wrote:In my instructor class (early this spring) the DPS said that if we wanted to shoot single-action, we had to wait until the time started to cock the pistol. I shot my S&W 586 almost completely single-action that way and had no problem completing all of the shots except for once when I apparently set the first-bullet in the string of 5 loaded, under the hammer when I loaded it. Of course, on my fifth shot it went "CLICK" instead of BANG, so I just double-actioned another shot once I realized what had happened, it went BANG the second time, and the targets turned right after that.

As far as I know, though, there is no rule, law, or common mandate that says you can't shoot a proficiency course single action, but... I would caution students that if they're doing this FOR REAL, then they might want to consider pulling the trigger first, instead of reaching up to cock the gun. Saves a little bit of time that way!

:iagree:

They told me the same thing. I shot single action.....waiting to cock at target turn.
Bill Davis [kg5ie]
TX LTC Instructor / School Safety Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor
http://safe-2-carry.com

troglodyte

Post by troglodyte »

There was a guy in my instructor's class that shot a SA hogleg. There was some light-hearted ribbing before the qualification but nobody was laughing when it was over I didn't catch his score but he passed without issue. One other thing I remember about the gentleman is he looked the part.

skeathley

Post by skeathley »

There was a candidate in my instructor class who qualified with an SAO revolver; they said nothing about it.

:rules:
Texas LTC Instructor / RSO / SSC
Viet Nam Veteran: 25th Infantry, Cu Chi
https://mckinneyfirearmstraining.com

kjolly

Post by kjolly »

I the Instructors revolver qualification I shot SA and the DPS officer monitoring the test had no problems with it. Shooting SA is much more accurate than fighting a long heavy trigger pull.
Texas CHL Instructor, NRA Certified Trainer, IDPA
NRA Range Safety Officer

http://www.tacticalpistol.us

Return to “Instructors' Corner”