How high off the ground are your CHL qualification targets?

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
n5wd
Posts in topic: 2

How high off the ground are your CHL qualification targets?

Post by n5wd »

As I was removing nails from a bunch of fencing slats that are going to be re-purposed as vertical supports for the B-27 targets I'll be using when I start doing classes and firearms qualifications on our newly purchased ranch I was thinking about how high to mount the targets off the ground. I'll have the B-27's stapled to the slats, which will drop into a PVC support which could easily adjust the target's height.

I know that DPS doesn't have any specifications on how high the top of the B-27 has to be, so... How high do you mount your targets? Any particular reasoning behind that decision?
NRA-Life member, NRA Instructor, NRA RSO, TSRA member,
Vietnam (AF) Veteran -- Amateur Extra class amateur radio operator: N5WD

Email: CHL@centurylink.net

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 1

Re: How high off the ground are your CHL qualification targe

Post by Jumping Frog »

n5wd wrote:As I was removing nails from a bunch of fencing slats that are going to be re-purposed as vertical supports for the B-27 targets I'll be using when I start doing classes and firearms qualifications on our newly purchased ranch I was thinking about how high to mount the targets off the ground. I'll have the B-27's stapled to the slats, which will drop into a PVC support which could easily adjust the target's height.

I know that DPS doesn't have any specifications on how high the top of the B-27 has to be, so... How high do you mount your targets? Any particular reasoning behind that decision?
I have usually seen them where the head portion of the target was roughly the same height as an adult's head. That is still a lot of leeway, as adults are usually in the 5 feet to 6 1/2 feet range.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

The average male in the U.S. is 5' 9" tall and female is 5' 4". I would look at the fact that the probability of attack will be from a male, so put the top of the head at the male average height.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

AF-Odin

Post by AF-Odin »

I am 5'10" and place my targets at MY height---Me looking directly at the head of the B-27. Not sure it really matters as long as it is reasonable
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

KD5NRH

Post by KD5NRH »

Keith B wrote:The average male in the U.S. is 5' 9" tall and female is 5' 4". I would look at the fact that the probability of attack will be from a male, so put the top of the head at the male average height.
Might want to mix them up a bit when you're not doing the actual testing; I'd hate to get muscle memory too set on a target of exactly a given height and then end up shooting over a short assailant's head.

Of course, COM height on an average male is going to be somewhere effective on pretty much anybody other than a child, double leg amputee or midget, and those make up a reasonably small percentage of deadly threats.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

AF-Odin wrote:I am 5'10" and place my targets at MY height---Me looking directly at the head of the B-27. Not sure it really matters as long as it is reasonable
:iagree:
NRA Endowment Member

Topic author
n5wd
Posts in topic: 2

Post by n5wd »

OK, guys. Seems like everyone's in the same ballpark, here. Appreciate the responses!
NRA-Life member, NRA Instructor, NRA RSO, TSRA member,
Vietnam (AF) Veteran -- Amateur Extra class amateur radio operator: N5WD

Email: CHL@centurylink.net

kg5ie

Post by kg5ie »

n5wd

Here is a suggestion. Sounds like you'll have the room. 4ea 6"x6"x8' treated posts. Put them 2' in the ground exactly 12' apart. 6ea 2"x4"x12' treated pieces. Put a row at the top, and another row at the appropriate level below. You can start targets 1' from the end, then space the targets with 2' between them. Staple the cardboard targets to the 2x4s. You can shoot 9 people at a time. Keeping the targets away from the 6x6s will stop them from being shot up. 2x4s should not take a lot of abuse, but can be replaced easily. This will also put the top of the targets just under 6'.

kg5ie
Bill Davis [kg5ie]
TX LTC Instructor / School Safety Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor
http://safe-2-carry.com

Return to “Instructors' Corner”