CHL Presentation Materials...

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
ghaass
Posts in topic: 1

CHL Presentation Materials...

Post by ghaass »

I have just completed the CHL-I course in Georgetown at the beginning of the month, and
am lining up students who wish to take the course. I have searched this forum, but not found
a location where I can purchase presentation materials and Powerpoint slides, in order to meet
the required materials to be covered. I am sure they exist, and would rather not write my own
curriculum, as it would need to be verified by DPS,etc...

Does anyone know of an authorized source for what I am looking for??

Thanks in advance...

Gary

gary@gwhtactical.com

sjfcontrol
Posts in topic: 2

Re: CHL Presentation Materials...

Post by sjfcontrol »

ghaass wrote:I have just completed the CHL-I course in Georgetown at the beginning of the month, and
am lining up students who wish to take the course. I have searched this forum, but not found
a location where I can purchase presentation materials and Powerpoint slides, in order to meet
the required materials to be covered. I am sure they exist, and would rather not write my own
curriculum, as it would need to be verified by DPS,etc...

Does anyone know of an authorized source for what I am looking for??

Thanks in advance...

Gary

gary@gwhtactical.com
It does not need to be "verified" by DPS. There used to be a couple of places that had PP presentations for sale. Don't know if they still exist or not, and their quality was questionable.
Make your own presentation from the outline supplied by DPS.
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

dogflight

Post by dogflight »

I understand your desire to not start from scratch. When I started, I bought a pre-made presentation and customized it over time. Basically wrote from scratch after the last renewal and the availability of the DPS outline, but experience made it easier to do so.

I have not seen this one and am not recommending it, but TCHA does sell a prepared presentation:

http://www.txchia.org/article130918.htm

Welcome to the forum, and best of luck with your classes!
Certified Texas LTC & NRA Instructor/Basic Pistol.

sjfcontrol
Posts in topic: 2

Post by sjfcontrol »

There were a couple of vendors that were selling at the instructor's course when I took it. I'm sure they were one of them. OP, they weren't selling at your course? Maybe there's a reason.

Trust me, you'll do a lot better using your own presentation. Just base it off the DPS outline. (Does require some tech skills, though.)
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

glock75
Posts in topic: 3

Post by glock75 »

I too purchased the training material from the two outfits that were setup and selling it at the instructor course. I tried using the material but finally gave it up and made my own powerpoint presentation based upon the instructor course material from the DPS class. The purchased material just didn't flow well for me. It took awhile, especially since it was the 10 hour course. But it made it very easy to follow and was consistent in the teaching material.

When the state reduced to 4-6 hours, I trimmed it down using the sylallbus the DPS came up with. It wasn't very hard since my presentaion covered all the goals and course objectives and didn't take much time. I simply cut out what wasn't needed any longer and rearranged to follow the sylallbus. I sometimes teach the modules out of order depending upon the range/classroom location to fit best with the learning environment and range limitations (such as time scheduling, etc.).

Later two other instructors that I sometimes teach with asked to use the presentation due to time contraints and some last minute issues in scheduling a class. They both loved it as it was easy to follow and teach from without ever having seen the presentation before (the last minute thing). I suppose teaching the various NRA firearm courses made me accustomed to being able to teach a class sight unseen from a presentation that is easy to follow (there have been some issues with NRA instructors not being consistent in teaching the NRA material, but I don't think that it is the material that is the problem). If you are well grounded in the subject matter you should be able to take such a presentation and teach it the first time without a problem. So that is the format that I used in developing the CHL presentation. BTW, both of these two instructors are experienced NRA instructors teaching NRA classes. One of them is an NRA Training Counselor.

So, I suggest that you take the time to make your own presentation according to your style and timing. Over time you will want to revisit the presentation and tweek it based upon your class/student experiences. You will definitely need to review every two years after the Texas legislature has finished their session to allow for the changes in the law.
NRA, DPS and Rangemaster Certified Firearms Instructor
RWDefense.com

Neverpanic1

Post by Neverpanic1 »

I've found several clips/videos that could be very helpful in class and I really wish DPS would include some of these on their Youtube site of allowed/suggested videos. I've messaged them about it, but to no avail.
Texas LTC Instructor/ NRA Certified Instructor

glock75

Post by glock75 »

You can use whatever videos you think appropriate. DPS doesn't have an approved/disapproved list. Here is a website that a collection of videos that you could use. http://activeselfprotection.com/
RWDefense.com

Mike S

Post by Mike S »

glock75 wrote:You can use whatever videos you think appropriate. DPS doesn't have an approved/disapproved list. Here is a website that a collection of videos that you could use. http://activeselfprotection.com/
Sorry to revive this thread. It popped up when I searched for the thread with the Approved DPS Video link.

According to the Administrative Rules, only approved videos can be used by CHL Instructors, not to exceed 20% of classroom presentation time. It's found here:
http://texreg.sos.state.tx.us/public/re ... &ch=6&rl=1

Here's the link to the forum thread with the YouTube page provided by the DPS with their approved videos. Hasn't been updated in 4 years, & half of them are comic relief intended to bring students back in off of a break (This was created when the class was still 10-12 hrs long).

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=69267&hilit=Approved+dps+videos

glock75

Post by glock75 »

The administrative rules quoted were last revised in 2008. DPS has since quit approving videos and guest instructors. You can't use guest instructors unless they are certified Texas CHL instructors. You can use whatever material/videos you think will be beneficial in illustrating the course material as long as it follows the syllabus provided by DPS.
RWDefense.com

Eric Lamberson

Post by Eric Lamberson »

The rule states "Video instruction." This mean use of a video of an instructor presenting material in lieu of live instruction. At one point there were instructors (perhaps lazy) who had video taped themselves giving a class and simply played the video instead of providing live lecture. They specifically mentioned this as being unacceptable in my instructor class several years ago.

Use of videos to supplement live instruction is fine.
Massad Ayoob Group Staff Instructor, NRA Life Member, Pistol instructor, and RSO;
Texas LTC Instructor, IDPA 6-gun Master, Suarez International Affiliate

Return to “Instructors' Corner”