Student eligibility?

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
Txagmom14
Posts in topic: 2

Student eligibility?

Post by Txagmom14 »

I am giving a CHL class next week and I have a suspicion that one of the potential students was in a rehab program within the last couple of years. What is my best course of action? I know I can't pre-certify anyone's eligibility, but I feel responsible obviously, as well.
Thanks!
Deanna Burroughs
CHL Instructor, The Well Armed Woman, NRA Basic Pistol, PPITH, Refuse to Be a Victim

dogflight
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Student eligibility?

Post by dogflight »

Hi, and welcome to the forum!

Depending on the circumstances surrounding it, going through some sort of rehab wouldn't necessarily be disqualifying, but it's up to DPS to make the call based on the information submitted by the applicant and the results of the background check. As instructors, we're not involved in determining CHL eligibility.

Basically, almost anyone is eligible to take a CHL class, but not necessarily eligible for a license. So, IMHO, your best course of action is to teach the class (and that student) exactly as you normally would.

I'm curious to see if others have a different take on this.
Certified Texas LTC & NRA Instructor/Basic Pistol.

Topic author
Txagmom14
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Txagmom14 »

Thanks for the welcome, Dogflight!
I thought the same, but I just wanted to be sure. I am also interested in others' perception of this as well, but I'm glad I got verification from one, at least!
Merry Christmas!
Deanna Burroughs
Areté Defense Firearms Training

troglodyte

Post by troglodyte »

I've had a couple of questionable students based on comments they made in class regarding some psychological issues. When I submitted my CHL-8, with their pass/pass, I also attached a short note outlining my concern. I will leave it up to the DPS to follow-up if they so choose. I do not know the outcome nor have I been contacted by the DPS.

GC 411.188 (K) states instructors can make a recommendation for disapproval.
Last edited by troglodyte on Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

howdy

Post by howdy »

If you only have a "suspicion", then I agree with Dogfight. Teach the class with that person included and let DPS decide.
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

troglodyte wrote:I've had a couple of questionable students based on comments they made in class regarding some psychological issues. When I submitted my CHL-8, with their pass/pass, I also attached a short note outlining my concern. I will leave it up to the DPS to follow-up if they so choose. I do not know the outcome nor have I been contacted by the DPS.

:iagree:
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

RPBrown wrote:
troglodyte wrote:I've had a couple of questionable students based on comments they made in class regarding some psychological issues. When I submitted my CHL-8, with their pass/pass, I also attached a short note outlining my concern. I will leave it up to the DPS to follow-up if they so choose. I do not know the outcome nor have I been contacted by the DPS.

:iagree:
Late to the conversation, but :iagree: also.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

tbrown

Post by tbrown »

In the new short class, I guess the best you can do is tell students DPS makes the call, not the instructor, and point out the eligibility requirements in the CHL-16.
sent to you from my safe space in the hill country

Return to “Instructors' Corner”