Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 5

Re: PC §9.34 (b). PROTECTION OF LIFE OR HEALTH

Post by Excaliber »

dogflight wrote:
Excaliber wrote:
dogflight wrote:Scenario:

A man is threatening to jump off a very high bridge into a rocky abyss. While you have his attention, a police officer is able to approach unobserved by the jumper, grab him, and yank him away from the edge. Unfortunately, in the struggle, the man breaks free and the officer is knocked to the ground. The jumper, now more intent than ever on dying, sprints toward the other side of the bridge. You're too distant to catch him and the officer will barely be off the ground before the jumper clears the edge - assuredly ending his life. In a split second, you realize that a) you have a pistol, b) you have a clear shot, and c) the scene is backed by nothing but a 40-foot dirt embankment. You draw, aim in the general vicinity of his knees, and fire.

Questions:

Regardless of the outcome, is your action legal under PC 9.34(b)?
When we have to contort ourselves this far to try to come up with a weak theoretical situation for application, the most likely conclusion is that what we're trying to do isn't a real good idea.
The first half of the story (up to the jumper breaking free), happened a week or so ago in the DFW area. The only important "contortion" in the scenario was the mad dash for the other side of the bridge. The "you" in the scenario was also a police officer, and therefore had a gun, so the scenario's not such a "weak theoretical situation" after all.

(One detail does differ from the real life event: the bridge did not span a rocky abyss, but rather a freeway sporting dense, high-speed traffic. This was changed in order to keep the "Defense of a Third Person" angle out of the equation.)

None of which is to say that the use of a firearm in these circumstances would be a "real good idea". But whether we feel an action is good or bad often carries litle weight in criminal court. I think we can all agree that shooting the man would be an ugly and high-risk proposition. But please do not so casually disregard the fact that the man faces certian death in a jump, versus the (admitedly high-risk) possibility of surviving the bullet of a would-be rescuer.

So, the question remains; would PC 9.34(b) apply to the original scenario?
Even the wildest, most theoretical situation comes around sooner or later - just not very often.

I did not "casually disregard" the fact that the man would have faced certain death if he had jumped into the traffic lanes below. In fact he would have created a risk of killing others by doing so as well.

I don't know how much actual experience you have with making judgments like this, but during my 21 years of large agency law enforcement I have been in the situation you described: physically wrestling with people desperately fighting to jump off a highway overpass into traffic. If those individuals had broken away and run at speed toward the bridge railing and I couldn't catch up, I most certainly would not have used my firearm to stop them, even though their jumps would have most certainly been fatal.

You'll notice that in the situation you cite the police officer did not use his firearm to try to stop the subject from jumping either. That may be because the theoretical 40 foot dirt mound backstop was missing, or it may be because he was trained as I described earlier and understood both the relevant laws and reasonable competing harms analysis.

Those of us who have regularly encountered situations where these judgments actually have to be made in a second or so don't make them "casually". They make them with an understanding of the law and the fact that most of us don't wear batman costumes and can't prevent every negative consequence of people's actions without doing more harm than good in some cases (including to one's self, career, and family).

High consequence decisions with a high probability of catastrophic consequences are usually made casually in armchair academic mode by those who have never faced either the actual circumstances or seen the aftermath in real life.

If you're determined to find an instance where shooting a suicidal person was actually done and know how that turned out in court, I'd suggest a dive into case law on the section you cite. The resources are readily available and, more than likely, someone has tried it and the action was ruled on in an actual case. Here's one news reportfor you, but it's not as "clean" as you might like because the subject was setting other people on fire during his suicide and the justification was more than likely ending a deadly threat to others rather than terminating a suicide attempt.

I'm not interested enough to look further because my decision is already made: I have never shot any suicidal people and won't be doing so in the future unless they pose an immediate deadly threat to myself or others as in the article above.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

mojo84
Posts in topic: 3

Post by mojo84 »

Whether legal or not, if someone is that intent on killing them self and it will not injure others, not talking emotional pain of loved ones, would it be wise to try to shoot them hoping it would stop them and not kill them? It's my opinion it is not.

I would like to learn more about what scenario the legislatures that authored that part of the bill envisioned.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

dogflight
Posts in topic: 7

Post by dogflight »

The OP asked for a scenario, involving a gun, in which PC 9.34(b) would apply.

The improbable scenario described seems to meet the criteria - whether or not you think involving gunplay would be a bad idea and/or something you personally would or wouln't do.

Rather than expounding on the rightness or wrongness of the action, does anyone think that the statute would apply to the scenario?

Why or why not? (from a strictly criminal law standpoint, please)

(P.S. I, too, would love to know the legislative mindset behind this law.)
Certified Texas LTC & NRA Instructor/Basic Pistol.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

dogflight wrote:The OP asked for a scenario, involving a gun, in which PC 9.34(b) would apply.

The improbable scenario described seems to meet the criteria - whether or not you think involving gunplay would be a bad idea and/or something you personally would or wouln't do.

Rather than expounding on the rightness or wrongness of the action, does anyone think that the statute would apply to the scenario?

Why or why not? (from a strictly criminal law standpoint, please)

(P.S. I, too, would love to know the legislative mindset behind this law.)

What people "think" on here doesn't mean just a whole lot. The better question is, is there case law that involves such a scenario and how did that turn out. Until there is a test case, whatever the scenario we dream up, it's just talk and speculation and I wouldn't bet my livelihood on a consensus arrived at on a discussion forum.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

dogflight

Post by dogflight »

[/quote]What people "think" on here doesn't mean just a whole lot. The better question is, is there case law that involves such a scenario and how did that turn out. Until there is a test case, whatever the scenario we dream up, it's just talk and speculation and I wouldn't bet my livelihood on a consensus arrived at on a discussion forum.[/quote]

I agree with you 100%. As you point out, it is a discussion forum. It might be interesting to discuss it.

And if anyone knows of any applicable case law, by all means, discuss that!

Jim Beaux
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jim Beaux »

The Annoyed Man wrote:Using your gun to stop a suicide comes under the "we had to destroy it to save it" heading.
Nancy Pelosi quote? :smilelol5:

Ok, here's mine.

A liberal activist is tacking up anti gun posters on telephone poles. The dummy has left his/her car idling with a child locked in it and the car has slipped into reverse. The car is now turning in circles. The only way to get control of the car is to either shoot the window out to gain access; or shoot into the engine compartment hoping to somehow hit the ignition system.

Afterwards you tell the liberwhack that if a nice contribution is made to the NRA you wont call the police and show them the video your lazy brother-in-law recorded of the incident! :coolgleamA:
Last edited by Jim Beaux on Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“In the world of lies, truth-telling is a hanging offense"
~Unknown

Jim Beaux

Post by Jim Beaux »

jamcgowan wrote:Can someone provide me with a handgun related example/senario that I can use in my CHL classes to explain this statute?

(b) A person is justified in using both force and deadly force against another when and to the degree he reasonably believes the force or deadly force is immediately necessary to preserve the other’s life in an emergency.

TIA!
I just noticed the "deadly force against another".

In that case, the only justifiable scenario I can think of would be to incapacitate a terrorist suicide bomber....but only if he was heading towards a crowded area.
“In the world of lies, truth-telling is a hanging offense"
~Unknown

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

dogflight wrote:
What people "think" on here doesn't mean just a whole lot. The better question is, is there case law that involves such a scenario and how did that turn out. Until there is a test case, whatever the scenario we dream up, it's just talk and speculation and I wouldn't bet my livelihood on a consensus arrived at on a discussion forum.[/quote]

I agree with you 100%. As you point out, it is a discussion forum. It might be interesting to discuss it.

And if anyone knows of any applicable case law, by all means, discuss that![/quote]

OK, so what did the cop do? Keep in mind, in the actual scenario, there was a possibility of others being injured.

dogflight

Post by dogflight »

In the real event, there was no gunfire involved but the "grabbing" officer did fall to the ground, pulling the jumper down with him. The first officer rushed forward and assisted in subduing the jumper, who did not get away as he does in the hypothetical scenario. The threat, both to the jumper and to the motoring public was successfully ended right then and there. The officers arrived on the scene separately and didn't plan the action; they acted based on eye contact as the situation quickly unfolded. An impressive, yet highly risky, bit of teamwork by the officers that ended well.

jmra
Posts in topic: 1

Post by jmra »

Ultimately the way our legal system works, what a judge and 12 people believe the law says trumps what the law actually says. Of course outcome is important too. Shoot the gun out of the hand of someone about to kill themselves without hurting them or anyone else and you're a hero. But, if you're aim is off a little, good luck getting those 12 people to believe PC §9.34 (b) made your actions justifiable.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Excaliber »

dogflight wrote:In the real event, there was no gunfire involved but the "grabbing" officer did fall to the ground, pulling the jumper down with him. The first officer rushed forward and assisted in subduing the jumper, who did not get away as he does in the hypothetical scenario. The threat, both to the jumper and to the motoring public was successfully ended right then and there. The officers arrived on the scene separately and didn't plan the action; they acted based on eye contact as the situation quickly unfolded. An impressive, yet highly risky, bit of teamwork by the officers that ended well.
This is the way these situations are usually handled, including the unscripted teamwork. Each officer knows what needs to be done and has the experience to figure out his part in about a nanosecond.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

dogflight

Post by dogflight »

Excaliber wrote:This is the way these situations are usually handled, including the unscripted teamwork. Each officer knows what needs to be done and has the experience to figure out his part in about a nanosecond.
Which, in my book, is what makes most cops genuine, true-to-life, everyday, actual heroes. :tiphat:

switch
Posts in topic: 1

Post by switch »

Actually, I never notice (b). :(
While is it NOT legal to use deadly force to stop/prevent a suicide (per (a)), I read of a LEO that shot the gun out of the hand. Anytime you pull the trigger, it's considered deadly force. :)
I'm not sure I'd trust my marksmanship to shoot a gun out of someones hand. LOL

I don't think (b) was ever intended to apply to guns. As someone mentioned, it for cutting off an arm or leg if someone is trapped.

rbwhatever1

Post by rbwhatever1 »

I hope I never get trapped around a few of you folks. If so I'll take the bullet over a chainsaw...
III

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

rbwhatever1 wrote:I hope I never get trapped around a few of you folks. If so I'll take the bullet over a chainsaw...
I'd give you a choice... Axe, or pocket knife. I don't ordinarily carry around a chainsaw. :drool: "rlol"
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

Return to “Instructors' Corner”