RENEWAL

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
formerPA178
Posts in topic: 1

RENEWAL

Post by formerPA178 »

My CHL Instructor License expires in December, 2015. When do I need to begin the renewal process? Are there any continuing education requirements?

howdy
Posts in topic: 2

Re: RENEWAL

Post by howdy »

I think many if not all Instructor certificates will expire on 12/31/2015. It was mess two years ago with everyone scrambling to get NRA certified. I am sure DPS will let us know shortly what will be required for this renewal. It was just an online test back in 2011 and a class/shooting in 2013.
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Renewal cannot begin until long enough after the end of the legislative session for DPS to be able to make changes to reflect new laws. How long that takes depends upon the number of changes. My guess is renewal will begin in September and it will be online. Therefore, there's no problem with getting people into in-person classes. Again, that's just my guess.

Chas.

dogflight

Post by dogflight »

Since we shall be statutorily required to instruct on the "use of restraint holsters and methods to ensure the secure carrying of openly carried handguns", some guidance from DPS about what, specifically, that should entail will be welcome and appreciated.

That said, anyone now care to lay odds on in-person versus online instructor renewals this year?

I would definitely appreciate some train-the-trainer on the subject, but hopefully it can be online.
Certified Texas LTC & NRA Instructor/Basic Pistol.

howdy

Post by howdy »

I used to enjoy going to Austin for requal. I know it was expensive and time consuming for some people but the 2 1/2 hour drive from Houston was not all that bad for me. I always left there more informed than when I arrived. I also enjoyed the company of the other instructors.
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

howdy wrote:I used to enjoy going to Austin for requal. I know it was expensive and time consuming for some people but the 2 1/2 hour drive from Houston was not all that bad for me. I always left there more informed than when I arrived. I also enjoyed the company of the other instructors.
I enjoyed it too. It was a good time with like-minded folks and it was a great opportunity to discuss the program. That said, I too live 3 hrs. away and for a lot of instructors, the distance is much greater and taking time off is more of a problem than it is for some.

Chas.

switch

Post by switch »

I enjoy the renewal classes too. I learned some and helped clarify what I already knew. I'm glad they started moving it around the state. I'm only 2 1/2 hours from Georgetown so I could drive down/back the same day - but it made for a long day.

I think it took too long. We used to spend half a day shooting and half a day in class. Now that w/show proficiency w/other instructors, we spend 9 hours in class. :(

dogflight

Post by dogflight »

I also enjoy the camaraderie of the in-person events. That's the best part.

I'm just hoping to avoid the consumption of time and money. If I had an abundance of either, I would already be signed up for Charles' 2015 Firearms Instructor & Range Conference! Which would, now that I think of it, be a great place for DPS to present any new information to instructors, record it, and make the video available for those of us who cannot be there. Surely it couldn't take more than an hour or so for the necessary knowledge transfer, and DPS would benefit from knowing that we all heard the same thing.
Certified Texas LTC & NRA Instructor/Basic Pistol.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

dogflight wrote:I also enjoy the camaraderie of the in-person events. That's the best part.

I'm just hoping to avoid the consumption of time and money. If I had an abundance of either, I would already be signed up for Charles' 2015 Firearms Instructor & Range Conference! Which would, now that I think of it, be a great place for DPS to present any new information to instructors, record it, and make the video available for those of us who cannot be there. Surely it couldn't take more than an hour or so for the necessary knowledge transfer, and DPS would benefit from knowing that we all heard the same thing.
DPS is going to be there and I'm talking to people about recording the Conference. The plan is to record it, edit it, and make it available for as a pay-per-view video. It may not happen because of the cost of the professional grade recording.

Chas.

TexasGal

Post by TexasGal »

Charles, when will you know if you can do the recording? I had planned on going that route since I am in DFW. I also am interested in the discussion you are considering on the new laws that you brought up in another thread and am hoping it too would be made available on video. I know you have been thanked endlessly for all you have been doing but that just scratches the surface of our gratitude for your tireless dedication. :tiphat:
The Only Bodyguard I Can Afford is Me
Texas LTC Instructor Cert
NRA Life Member

Erick Drake

Post by Erick Drake »

I just completed the May class and received my certificate yesterday. The class did not cover any of the new legislation (as it had not been finalized). Interestingly, my expiration is 12/31/2017.

Does anyone know if RSD will be sending out any training materials to help with the new outline? I imagine there will be significant changes which will need to be edited into everyone's classes.

Erick Drake
Ellington Arms
Founder - Ellington Arms
Texas DPS Certified LTC Instructor
NRA Certified Basic Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Return to “Instructors' Corner”