NRA Instructors Classes

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Mike S
Posts in topic: 3

Re: NRA Instructors Classes

Post by Mike S »

jmorris wrote:I'm waiting on a reply from the NRA Training offfice. He's off today and Friday so I hope to have something on Monday.
JMorris,
Any reply from the NRA yet?

Mike S
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Mike S »

c.edgington wrote:That's really good to know and kinda what I expected. I have looked into getting my CRSO next and then the PP classes.

Have you had much success getting students for those classes or have you used them mostly as a jump-off point to create your own lesson plans?

Thanks!
As far as success in getting students for the PPITH class, I've taught it four times in 3 years for the Education Program of the Austin Rifle Club (two classes each in summer/fall of 2013 & 2014, too busy in 2015 with other things to run one). I limited each class size to 12 students, & charged $75 each ($50 for me; $25 to the ARC's Education Program). This is 1/2 price of my normal rate.

Each year the first class offering was booked to capacity, with the following month's class about 4-6 students.

The first full class paid for my instructional materials (roughly $12 per student packet, plus dummy rounds/snap caps, training aids, etc) and
covered the lumber for building 6x barricades for the shooting from cover event.

The ARC took care of the marketing part by distribution to their email list, etc.

The other times I've taught it were gratis, for seniors in the neighborhood.

So, the long winded answer is that there is some interest, however you will need to temper expectations & figure out based on your market area (1) who else is providing it (do a search on the NRA Instructor site for classes within X miles of your zip code); (2) the fair market price for your area; (3) your marketing strategy (can't help you there, mine stinks); (4) ranges that will allow you to rapid fire, set up barricades (or better yet, has them for you to use) & charge a reasonable fee, & for the PPOTH allow drawing from a holster (most shouldn't have an issue with this during a supervised course of fire, but don't assume).

Truly the best part of the PPITH Instructor class for me was getting a better perspective on home defense from a civilian perspective (retreating to a safe room vs military CQB was a big shift of gears, but necessary for tailoring classes to the right target audience). So in the end, your take on using it for professional development will still make it worthwhile.

jmorris
Posts in topic: 6

Post by jmorris »

Mike S wrote:
jmorris wrote:I'm waiting on a reply from the NRA Training offfice. He's off today and Friday so I hope to have something on Monday.
JMorris,
Any reply from the NRA yet?
No. He kicked it up the chain for an official response. I'll ping him tomorrow.
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

Return to “Instructors' Corner”