New instructor info on website!

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
infoman
Posts in topic: 3

New instructor info on website!

Post by infoman »

I just noticed they updated website with more instructor info for all the Dec 2015 renewals & requirements! Looks like no online video/exam required now. :headscratch

sjfcontrol
Posts in topic: 1

Re: New instructor info on website!

Post by sjfcontrol »

I assume you're talking about this?

http://www.dps.texas.gov/RSD/CHL/Licens ... enewal.pdf
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

kg5ie
Posts in topic: 2

Post by kg5ie »

Looks like they are handling it with a new curriculum guide and a new test. Works foe me. :hurry:
Bill Davis [kg5ie]
TX LTC Instructor / School Safety Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor
http://safe-2-carry.com

RossA
Banned

Post by RossA »

So the rumors about an online video that we have to watch about open carry aren't correct? I don't see anything like that listed on the web page.
God and the soldier we adore,
In times of danger, not before.
The danger gone, the trouble righted,
God's forgotten, the soldier slighted.

Topic author
infoman

Post by infoman »

That's correct.

kg5ie

Post by kg5ie »

Oh, and a new -100 form to add the mandatory holster portion. Guess it will be LTC-100? :headscratch
Bill Davis [kg5ie]
TX LTC Instructor / School Safety Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor
http://safe-2-carry.com

dogflight

Post by dogflight »

Whatever it is, I hope they get it to us without delay. Last session, releasing the new test 15 business minutes before we had to start using it (with an un-answerable question to boot!) was rather absurd. Perhaps they were trying to insure that no one jumped the gun with the new test, but in this case we're gonna need a little time to update our materials to match a new class outline.
Certified Texas LTC & NRA Instructor/Basic Pistol.

RossA
Banned

Post by RossA »

They don't realize (or just don't care) that this is a business, more so for some than others. Business people can't just wait until the last minute to know whether their certifications will be renewed in time, what materials they need to teach, what documentation they need, etc.
Of course, being the government, they don't have to approach things in a businesslike manner.

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

I only read where instructors will not be required to attend a class in person and that there will not be a shooting profiency requirement. It does not read that there will not be a online video.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

twomillenium wrote:I only read where instructors will not be required to attend a class in person and that there will not be a shooting profiency requirement. It does not read that there will not be a online video.
This line in the notice indicates there will be not online video: "Once the completed application has been received and the background checks are completed, a new certificate will be mailed." There's no mention of a video or online exam.

Chas.

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
twomillenium wrote:I only read where instructors will not be required to attend a class in person and that there will not be a shooting profiency requirement. It does not read that there will not be a online video.
This line in the notice indicates there will be not online video: "Once the completed application has been received and the background checks are completed, a new certificate will be mailed." There's no mention of a video or online exam.

Chas.
I read right past that. That sounds good to me (like I have a say). It is different than what I was told last week by phone.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

RossA
Banned

Post by RossA »

I agree that you often get conflicting information by phone. This has happened to me twice in recent weeks. They don't have that many people working in the CHL section. Shouldn't be too hard to get them on the same page.

Topic author
infoman

Post by infoman »

Only things needed for Dec '15 instructor renewals: pay $100 fee, & send CHL-90 form. No class, no shooting, no video, no online exam.

n5wd

Post by n5wd »

infoman wrote:Only things needed for Dec '15 instructor renewals: pay $100 fee, & send CHL-90 form. No class, no shooting, no video, no online exam.
Correction: needed:
pay $100 fee
send CHL-90 form with proof of pistol instructor status from recognized agency/organization

Just got my renewal email from DPS RSD_LRS_CHL last night:
The following information is being provided for those Instructors with a certificate that expires on December 31, 2015.
· Renewal applications may be submitted online at: https://txapps.texas.gov/txapp/txdps/chl/. Please select “returning user” and enter the requested information.
· After the application has been completed and the fee is paid, form CHL-90 must be submitted along with the required supporting documents. The form can be downloaded from our website at: http://www.dps.texas.gov/InternetForms/Forms/CHL-90.pdf
· You may submit the completed form and supporting documents by Email or fax to 512-424-7284 (Attn: Instructor) Reminder: Supporting documentation must include proof of a current valid firearms instructor certification.
· Once the completed application has been received and the background checks are completed, a new certificate will be mailed.
Instructors will not be required to attend retraining classes in person and no proficiency demonstration (shooting) will be required for this renewal period. Updated training material including a revised course outline, student test and key, and a revised CHL-100 will be posted on our website prior to January 1, 2016. An email will be sent to Instructors advising when the revised materials are available on our website.

Please note: If you have already applied for renewal and submitted the required documents, you will be notified by email if further information is required. If no additional items are required, you will receive a new certificate by mail in the near future.

Legislative updates related to Handgun Licensing can be found on our website at: https://www.txdps.state.tx.us/RSD/CHL/L ... lation.htm. Please continue to monitor our website for updated Frequently Asked Questions.

Regulatory Services Division

Licensing and Registration Service
NRA-Life member, NRA Instructor, NRA RSO, TSRA member,
Vietnam (AF) Veteran -- Amateur Extra class amateur radio operator: N5WD

Email: CHL@centurylink.net

Return to “Instructors' Corner”