A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
RossA
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Physically Challenged Shooter

Post by RossA »

I took a couple of guys at the office out to shoot the other day. One has shot with me before, and one is new to guns. The new guy has basically one arm due to a congenital birth issue. He therefore can't load mags or rack a slide with one hand. I guess with a lot of time and effort he could load mags, but it would be a difficult process.
He wants to shoot more and get a LTC (see, I made myself stop saying CHL), but he will need someone to load mags and chamber a round for him. He actually shoots pretty well one handed.
Is it permissible for myself or a helper to do these functions for him during the range exam?
Thanks in advance.
God and the soldier we adore,
In times of danger, not before.
The danger gone, the trouble righted,
God's forgotten, the soldier slighted.

Pariah3j
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Physically Challenged Shooter

Post by Pariah3j »

I've seen techniques for one handed reloading/wracking the slide - maybe he should give those a try ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5tpZ7OgJB0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMsAvWOEj-k
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny" - Thomas Jefferson

Topic author
RossA
Banned

Post by RossA »

Thanks, Pariah, I've seen those before, but they require a gun with pretty squared off, prominent sights. Also, I'll bet a lot of ranges would freak out seeing someone doing those drills and pointing a loaded gun down toward his foot. Might get the whole class thrown off the range.

Pariah3j

Post by Pariah3j »

RossA wrote:Thanks, Pariah, I've seen those before, but they require a gun with pretty squared off, prominent sights. Also, I'll bet a lot of ranges would freak out seeing someone doing those drills and pointing a loaded gun down toward his foot. Might get the whole class thrown off the range.
True, my thought was they would have to accommodate someone's disability in some way(or at least would hope they would) - at least something like that could provide him with the ability to do it himself - if the range master wasn't ok with that, maybe he might provide some alternatives that are acceptable.
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny" - Thomas Jefferson

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

It is generally believed by instructors that it is OK to assist a handicapped shooter with loading magazines. In fact, I believe the Americans with Disabilities act requires accommodating a handicap when the accommodation is reasonable.

On the other hand, the CHL admin codes state that the shooter must resolve any stoppages.

On the third hand ( :confused5 ), he may want to avoid this issue by using a revolver (if he could reload that).
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

SoloXCRacer
Posts in topic: 1

Post by SoloXCRacer »

This kid is a successful competitive shooter and he has no hands. Check out his YouTube videos. Very impressive!!

http://www.nohandedshooter.com/

kg5ie

Post by kg5ie »

+1 on revolver
Just remembered that I saw a new semi at Gander Mtn. the other day with folding "ears" on the back of the slide specifically made for folks with hand issues. Sorry...can't remember the brand. Someone will chime in.
Last edited by kg5ie on Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Davis [kg5ie]
TX LTC Instructor / School Safety Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor
http://safe-2-carry.com

NotRPB
Posts in topic: 1

Post by NotRPB »

I only have 1 hand from birth.

I use Advantage Tactical sights in combination with CompTac kydex reinforced belt
corner of a metal dumpster, brick building's corner, edge of a table, etc etc etc or boot heel, jeans pocket, etc for chambering round; racking slide clearing jams etc

Those sights go well on Glocks, but harder to install on XD/Dovetail front sights

http://www.advantagetactical.com/

http://www.comp-tac.com/kydex-reinforce ... belt-10511

see 1-handed drills; practice a lot

Do "tactical reloads" before your mag is empty to avoid chambering round on new mag

Practice injured hand/ 1-hand reloads

use caution ... keep things out of that trigger guard

The Wall

Post by The Wall »

Won't help with the reload during testing but he could carry a 1911 cocked and locked. And we all know 1911's never jam up. :lol: Seriously sounds like a revolver would be best. Qualify with a revolver and then you can carry what ever you want. Reloading a revolve would be easier I think. Open cylinder, stick barrel under arm and reload it would be worth a try. Bet you could come up with a way.

Last edited by The Wall on Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

I was allowed to bring (5 mags if I remember correctly) with 5 rounds in each mag. No reloading of mags......just firearm. With no rush.

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

WTR wrote:I was allowed to bring (5 mags if I remember correctly) with 5 rounds in each mag. No reloading of mags......just firearm. With no rush.
How did you handle the other 25 rounds? :evil2:
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

sjfcontrol wrote:
WTR wrote:I was allowed to bring (5 mags if I remember correctly) with 5 rounds in each mag. No reloading of mags......just firearm. With no rush.
How did you handle the other 25 rounds? :evil2:
I honestly don't remember how many rounds were required. However, I know I had enough mags with 5 rounds loaded to complete the qualifying. I had been told by a friend what I needed and I have plenty of mags

The Wall

Post by The Wall »

Why not contact the instructor you will be training with and ask him or her what they want in this situation.

Topic author
RossA
Banned

Post by RossA »

I am the instructor. I want to make sure I don't break any rules.

kg5ie

Post by kg5ie »

I really think revolver is the answer. If he can hold the gun at all with his off hand muzzle down, open load an close with strong...shoot.

like the other poster said, qualify with a wheel gun, carry whatever he wants. if you are the instructor, no rule says you can't have him shoot alone. give him all the time he needs to reload.
Bill Davis [kg5ie]
TX LTC Instructor / School Safety Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor
http://safe-2-carry.com

Return to “Instructors' Corner”