A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
BCGlocker
Posts in topic: 9

Re: Finally I am offered the CHL Instructor's Class

Post by BCGlocker »

dogflight wrote:
BCGlocker wrote: How are we going to "fix" the malfunction if there is not extra found or extra magazine within the allowed time period? Luckily, for most of us there war no malfunctions.
The reasoning is to have you complete the course of fire as much as possible. If, for instance, you have a misfire on the second shot of a 5-shot course, clear the bad round and resume shooting. Assuming you work quickly and get off all remaining shots, you'll lose only 5 points for the one dropped round. On the other hand, by not "fighting your way through the malfunction" you risk losing 20 points for four dropped rounds.

Learning to clear a jamb or deal with a malfunction should be second nature and as instantaneous as you can learn to make it. In a real-world tactical event, points have no meaning - by not "fighting your way through the malfunction" you risk losing everything.
I do one hour dry practice each day which include 30-min on malfunction clearing drills. I routinely clear a type 3 malfunction in less than 4 seconds. However, without extra rounds and magazine, you are not going to clear type 3 malfunction within the time allotment and hope to get "all" shots off.
Last edited by BCGlocker on Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Texas LTC Instructor
Texas SSO Instructor
USCCA Certified Instructor
Range Master Certified Instructor

n5wd
Posts in topic: 1

Post by n5wd »

BCGlocker wrote:It seems the classroom location is out in the boonies.
Are they doing the instruction at the DPS Training Range, now?
NRA-Life member, NRA Instructor, NRA RSO, TSRA member,
Vietnam (AF) Veteran -- Amateur Extra class amateur radio operator: N5WD

Email: CHL@centurylink.net

jmorris
Posts in topic: 5

Post by jmorris »

n5wd wrote:
BCGlocker wrote:It seems the classroom location is out in the boonies.
Are they doing the instruction at the DPS Training Range, now?
Yes. The classroom is in the emergency vehicle operation center.

And to have a facility of a 1000 acres it would just about have to be in the boonies.
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

jmorris

Post by jmorris »

BCGlocker wrote:
dogflight wrote:
BCGlocker wrote: How are we going to "fix" the malfunction if there is not extra found or extra magazine within the allowed time period? Luckily, for most of us there war no malfunctions.
The reasoning is to have you complete the course of fire as much as possible. If, for instance, you have a misfire on the second shot of a 5-shot course, clear the bad round and resume shooting. Assuming you work quickly and get off all remaining shots, you'll lose only 5 points for the one dropped round. On the other hand, by not "fighting your way through the malfunction" you risk losing 20 points for four dropped rounds.

Learning to clear a jamb or deal with a malfunction should be second nature and as instantaneous as you can learn to make it. In a real-world tactical event, points have no meaning - by not "fighting your way through the malfunction" you risk losing everything.
I do one hour dry practice each day which include 30-min on malfunction clearing drills. I routinely clear a type 3 malfunction in less than 4 seconds. However, without extra rounds and magazine, you are not going to clear type 3 malfunction within the time allotment.
What I think is that your thinking that working through it means getting all shots on target. It doesn't. On the first exercise you have five chances to fire. If you have a malfunction you lose one, maybe two chances. Although when there was a malfunction they did stop to allow the shooter to clear or in a couple cases allowed the shooter to fire the exercise after every one else had finished. Those may have just been target malfunctions though.
Jay E Morris,
NRA Recruiter (link)

Scott B.
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Scott B. »

Really appreciate the first-hand knowledge being passed along.

Given that your reported class size was about a 100, and the shooting portion was broken into two sections, that meant about 50 people on the line each time? That must be pretty interesting.

Do you feel ready to teach a class now, once you get your certificate?
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

Topic author
BCGlocker

Post by BCGlocker »

Scott B. wrote:Really appreciate the first-hand knowledge being passed along.

Given that your reported class size was about a 100, and the shooting portion was broken into two sections, that meant about 50 people on the line each time? That must be pretty interesting.

Do you feel ready to teach a class now, once you get your certificate?
I know the material pretty good. However, they did not cover any of the reporting and other logistic procedures. They did say we would receive a package along with our certificate. I hope the info will be there.
Texas LTC Instructor
Texas SSO Instructor

mloamiller

Post by mloamiller »

BCGlocker wrote:
I know the material pretty good. However, they did not cover any of the reporting and other logistic procedures. They did say we would receive a package along with our certificate. I hope the info will be there.
I was surprised that nothing about teaching the class was actually covered in the instructor's class - no outline, no lesson plans, nothing about scheduling, reporting, etc. The only thing mentioned about actually teaching a class was it had to be 4-6 hours of instruction, excluding breaks, the test and range time.

Like BCGlocker, I assume all of that information will be in the packet we're supposed to receive late this week/early next.
LTC/SSC Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor, RSO

jmorris

Post by jmorris »

mloamiller wrote:
BCGlocker wrote:
I was surprised that nothing about teaching the class was actually covered in the instructor's class - no outline, no lesson plans, nothing about scheduling, reporting, etc. The only thing mentioned about actually teaching a class was it had to be 4-6 hours of instruction, excluding breaks, the test and range time.

Like BCGlocker, I assume all of that information will be in the packet we're supposed to receive late this week/early next.
Well, they did say more than once that this was not a class to tell us how to instruct, we were supposed to already know that. This was just to cover what we needed to teach. From what one instructor said offline to another student I think they considered the handouts to be a basic outline/lesson plan. But you're right, there were admin things that I thought they should have covered. I think the only thing they did that could fall under that was how to score the targets.
Jay E Morris,
NRA Recruiter (link)

Erick Drake
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Erick Drake »

I hope that you do receive some info on all the admin/logistics elements with your certificate. They told me the same thing when I took my class. But, alas, all I ever received was my certificate. No supplemental info came with it at all. I had to piece together all the other details myself.

Good luck to you!

-Erick Drake
Founder - Ellington Arms
Texas DPS Certified LTC Instructor
NRA Certified Basic Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Topic author
BCGlocker

Post by BCGlocker »

Erick Drake wrote:I hope that you do receive some info on all the admin/logistics elements with your certificate. They told me the same thing when I took my class. But, alas, all I ever received was my certificate. No supplemental info came with it at all. I had to piece together all the other details myself.

Good luck to you!

-Erick Drake
Is there a webpage at DPS that spells out the reporting requirements?
Texas LTC Instructor
Texas SSO Instructor

mloamiller

Post by mloamiller »

Just received an email from RSD saying "Congratulations! You passed, and your certificate is in the mail." I finished the class last Friday, so it's been exactly one week.

According to the email, the certificate will come with and ID/password to access the course outline, student test and the required student and instructor forms, along with the instructions to complete those forms. That seems to be the extent of the course material provided by DPS.
LTC/SSC Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor, RSO

Topic author
BCGlocker

Post by BCGlocker »

mloamiller wrote:Just received an email from RSD saying "Congratulations! You passed, and your certificate is in the mail." I finished the class last Friday, so it's been exactly one week.

According to the email, the certificate will come with and ID/password to access the course outline, student test and the required student and instructor forms, along with the instructions to complete those forms. That seems to be the extent of the course material provided by DPS.
Yes, I got the same email. Really appreciate the information from DPS.
Texas LTC Instructor
Texas SSO Instructor

Return to “Instructors' Corner”