NRA Basic Pistol - Phase 1 e-learning plans?

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
mloamiller
Posts in topic: 3

NRA Basic Pistol - Phase 1 e-learning plans?

Post by mloamiller »

Back in December I received the information from the NRA about changes to the Basic Pistol course. The first half and test are now done via the web (Phase 1), and they sent a PDF with the revised lessons plans for the classroom/range portion (Phase 2). In the Phase 2 lesson plans, each exercise makes reference to corresponding Phase 1 lessons. For example, Phase 2/Exercise 1 - Firearm and Range Safety references two lessons from Phase 1:

Basics of Pistol Shooting Phase I
Lesson 3 – Using a Pistol
Lesson 5 – Introduction to Shooting a Pistol

However, I can't find any details about the Phase 1 lessons, other than the titles referenced in the Phase 2 lessons. It would be helpful to know exactly what the Phase 1 lessons cover in order to refer to them intelligently during Phase 2. Has anyone seen any details on the Phase 1 lessons?

I emailed basicpistol@nrahq.org but haven't heard back.
LTC/SSC Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor, RSO

Middle Age Russ

Re: NRA Basic Pistol - Phase 1 e-learning plans?

Post by Middle Age Russ »

I am with you. As an instructor, we need to be able to see exactly what the student sees, and we need to be able to print the packet of materials if need be because inevitably some student will come to the instructor-led class without their materials. Has anyone found where instructors can get to these things?
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

Scott B.
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Scott B. »

Other than the Phase II lesson plan, and some bland pronouncements from 2014, there's been little communication from the otherwise excellent NRA Training division about what's to come, how much it will cost, or if instructors will be able to get a look at it.

You can read some pretty interesting comments on NRA's own blog here, after the article:

http://www.nrablog.com/articles/2015/11 ... -programs/

You could try contacting your training counselor to see what they've heard, or even call the training division directly. Please report back any details learned. :bigear:

I tried to find out as much as I could when they 86'd the NRA FIRST Steps class for pistol (and they're going to kill off the rifle and shotgun first steps too). All I found googling 'blended learning' was a lot of unhappy instructors.

I'm keeping an open mind (or at least trying to) about the future of the program, but NRA isn't helping itself running silent on this.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

Topic author
mloamiller

Post by mloamiller »

I received an email from the NRA today about the new Basic Pistol structure, stating
NRA has an instructor-only site available for those who would like to view Phase I of the course. Students will have to complete each lesson in order to advance through the course. We have turned that function off so you can review the course freely.
That was followed by a URL, ID and password (which I won't post here).

That appears to be exactly what I was looking for.
LTC/SSC Instructor

Middle Age Russ

I got the same email. Certainly a step in the right direction from where we were a day or two before...
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

Yes, got the same email but haven't read through it yet. Communication, such a good idea. :totap:

Is there any word on what NRA is going to charge to students for it?

Middle Age Russ

The email said that they hadn't yet settled on what NRA will charge for the online portion of the course. Whatever that fee is will likely eat into what instructors can reasonably charge (and therefore their margins) to some degree but most of the instructors' costs, like room rental, range fees, etc..., remain the same. The only thing the instructor's don't seem to need to provide in the new scheme is the student packet unless I am missing something.
Russ

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

I've started going through the student e-learning program. It's good, but the thing that surprised me is the length; 6.5 ~ 7 hrs to complete. The instructor portion, lesson plan and shooting qualification, alone, is a minimum of 5 hrs.

We all know the hassles of getting students to commit to a class. Usually, it takes money up front to deliver them to your doorway. I wonder what the 'bail-out' rate will be between student self study segments and the instructor led portion.

Plus, it's a whole new thing to sell students on. "Yes, I'd be more than happy to teach you basic pistol. First, you've got to commit a full day, or several days if you break it into chunks, of sitting in front of your computer...." And, you've got to have that done before we have class on X date.

Topic author
mloamiller

Post by mloamiller »

Scott B. wrote:I've started going through the student e-learning program. It's good, but the thing that surprised me is the length; 6.5 ~ 7 hrs to complete. The instructor portion, lesson plan and shooting qualification, alone, is a minimum of 5 hrs.

We all know the hassles of getting students to commit to a class. Usually, it takes money up front to deliver them to your doorway. I wonder what the 'bail-out' rate will be between student self study segments and the instructor led portion.

Plus, it's a whole new thing to sell students on. "Yes, I'd be more than happy to teach you basic pistol. First, you've got to commit a full day, or several days if you break it into chunks, of sitting in front of your computer...." And, you've got to have that done before we have class on X date.
My thoughts exactly. I'm also struggling to make sense of the order of the Phase 2 lessons. Starting with the 3 rules makes sense, but followed immediately by range rules/commands? Then comes shooting fundamentals followed by loading/unloading, which makes sense. But then you go to cleaning, before going to the range? Maybe the logic is get everything else out of the way, then handle the different positions and the qualification at the range, then dismiss the class from there, since there isn't a test.

I think my wife and daughter may be signing up for this new class, although they don't know it yet. ;-)
LTC/SSC Instructor

Mike S
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Mike S »

mloamiller wrote:I received an email from the NRA today about the new Basic Pistol structure, stating
NRA has an instructor-only site available for those who would like to view Phase I of the course. Students will have to complete each lesson in order to advance through the course. We have turned that function off so you can review the course freely.

Um, Holy Cow. I just got around to loging in to check out the Phase I link you mentioned earlier. That's a lot of modules to watch...

jmorris
Posts in topic: 1

Post by jmorris »

Mike S wrote:
mloamiller wrote:I received an email from the NRA today about the new Basic Pistol structure, stating

Um, Holy Cow. I just got around to loging in to check out the Phase I link you mentioned earlier. That's a lot of modules to watch...
And the first one, how to use this program, takes 20-30 minutes. I thought my brain was going to melt down.
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

V-Tach

Post by V-Tach »

So......

How is Blended Pistol working out for everyone....

I have had zero interest from students when they learn how the new program works and costs.....zero.

Used to give several courses a year.....not one this year...

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

No takers on the blended pistol course. Multiple takers on my "Introduction to Handguns" course which shares a lot with the now defunct NRA First Steps course. :lol:

I used to pitch them equally.

But the additional time required kills interest in the new course more than cost. Now, I mention the blended class only as an afterthought. I don't list them on the NRA site either, but should.

V-Tach

Post by V-Tach »

Thanks for the reply....fwiw I'm not trashing the NRA....the demographics for my area is older...and they just aren't computer driven like the younger folks....

Private instruction on the range is up. LTC classes are still going strong, but NRA basic pistol courses aren't getting any interest as they did in the past....very disappointing.

V-Tach

Post by V-Tach »

Seems the NRA listened and Instructors will have the option of Blended and traditional Instructor led classes starting in April..

Good news for the NRA and us.....

Return to “Instructors' Corner”