Non-NRA Approved Instructor Courses

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Scott B.
Posts in topic: 7

Re: Non-NRA Approved Instructor Courses

Post by Scott B. »

FYI, if you're interested in pursing the SAF courses, I just got an email today for upcoming classes at Copperas Cove, Tx, in mid-April. Unfortunately, it's not going to work with my schedule.

http://www.saftd.org

Go to the Course Schedule tab. You'll also want to take a gander at the qualifications on the Instructor Courses tab.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

twomillenium
Posts in topic: 2

Post by twomillenium »

Why all the whining, there are options, it is your choice. Some folks are sounding like the guy that complains about the farmer, with his mouth full at the dinner table.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

Topic author
RossA
Banned
Posts in topic: 13

Post by RossA »

What options? I am in my mid 60's and I am not going to become a cop and then a TCOLE instructor. I am not going back into the Army to be certified as a pistol instructor. For the vast majority of us, it's the NRA way or the highway. Good to learn about SAF classes. Need to find out if DPS accepts them.
God and the soldier we adore,
In times of danger, not before.
The danger gone, the trouble righted,
God's forgotten, the soldier slighted.

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

I think when you explore the options, you'll find that the NRA way offers a very comfortable ride. There are benefits to having done it since 1871.

Everything else requires some off-road rock crawling (if we can stretch the metaphor that far).

But, as you say, options are good.

IF you decide to come over to the dark side, I can point you to some excellent NRA Counselors (they teach the instructors) and you'll enjoy the process.

Topic author
RossA
Banned

Post by RossA »

I took my NRA course several years ago so I already have that covered. I had a very good training counselor, but still I found that the two day course was mostly a waste of time for anyone who knew which end of the gun that the bullet comes out of. It was mostly a class for crew beginners, not for experienced people wanting to become instructors.
I also disagreed with the tremendous political correctness of the class where you were not allowed to call the gun a weapon, you could not use silhouette targets, you could not discuss self defense shooting or anything else which might make it appear that someone might actually use the gun to defend his life.

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

RossA wrote:I I also disagreed with the tremendous political correctness of the class where you were not allowed to call the gun a weapon, you could not use silhouette targets, you could not discuss self defense shooting or anything else which might make it appear that someone might actually use the gun to defend his life.
It's not "Political Correctness", it's because NRA Basic Pistol is not a Defensive Pistol class. I happen to agree with the NRA, give them a solid foundation in the basics first.

Topic author
RossA
Banned

Post by RossA »

Part of the basics is learning that a pistol is first and foremost a weapon designed to kill. That is why we reinforce safety rules so much. Separating firearms fundamentals from the primary purpose of the firearm creates a false reality.

twomillenium
Posts in topic: 2

Post by twomillenium »

Scott B. wrote:
RossA wrote:I I also disagreed with the tremendous political correctness of the class where you were not allowed to call the gun a weapon, you could not use silhouette targets, you could not discuss self defense shooting or anything else which might make it appear that someone might actually use the gun to defend his life.
It's not "Political Correctness", it's because NRA Basic Pistol is not a Defensive Pistol class. I happen to agree with the NRA, give them a solid foundation in the basics first.
:iagree: It has only been in the very recent years that the NRA has started to offer any type of defensive class. Their basic pistol and various firearm classes are still safety and handling only and they are in a family oriented style. As far as it being boring, when you are presenting yourself as an instructor, you should be able to actually teach the boring stuff to someone who might not know what you don't remember not knowing. If you do not want to do it the NRA way, then don't. But the NRA is not going to accredit you as an instructor just because of what you say. You either prove it or go somewhere else.
Just sayin
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

Topic author
RossA
Banned

Post by RossA »

Once again you make my point for me.
Just where else is there? The NRA has a virtual monopoly on this because for most people, there isn't anywhere else.

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

RossA wrote:Part of the basics is learning that a pistol is first and foremost a weapon designed to kill. That is why we reinforce safety rules so much. Separating firearms fundamentals from the primary purpose of the firearm creates a false reality.
This gets into a bit of philosophy.

A firearm is designed to send a projectile down a length of barrel at great speed. What that projectile does after it leaves the barrel is up to the intent of its handler, or their neglect.

A lamp is lamp, until it's used as a weapon.

A firearm is a firearm, until it is used as a weapon.

Topic author
RossA
Banned

Post by RossA »

Partly true, Scott. The part you leave out is that a lamp is not intentionally designed so it can be used as a weapon. A gun is.

JustSomeOldGuy
Posts in topic: 1

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

Weapons are in the mind. Objects are just tools.
Each year, some trillions of rounds of ammo are fired in the USA. If 99.something % of those rounds are NOT fired at people or animals, then the bias of the empirical evidence is that "a gun is just a machine for throwing lead balls"........
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

Without being argumentative, let's call it a healthy exchange of viewpoints, I think assigning intent to firearms is exactly what the NRA wants avoid with Basic Pistol.

Personally, I hope that all my firearms remain firearms. I have a skeet gun that will only slay clay targets (when it and I agree, most of the time it seems we disagree on that point ;-) ).

Is a black rifle with polymer and aluminum parts any more 'evil' than an old 30-30? You and I know the answer to that. But, label it an 'assault weapon' and suddenly it's more dangerous. It's scary. It jumps out of closets and guns down innocent lambs all on its own, or so the general public should believe.

Words have weight and meaning.

In introducing new shooters to firearms, the NRA wants to keep it simple. "This is an inanimate object. It has no will, intent, or morality. Use it correctly and safely. With the proper knowledge, skills, and attitude shooting can be a fun and safe family activity."

In my classes I'll mention self defense. Many want to go on to get their LTC, or keep a gun in the home for defense. I keep it very basic. Tell them we can discuss these issues in broad generalities, but "today let's concentrate on learning how to use these things."

Topic author
RossA
Banned

Post by RossA »

I have never had a student come to me to learn to target shoot or to hunt. They learn to shoot targets because it is a viable way to build self defense skills with a gun. Every student I have ever had, without exception, has said at some point, in some way, that they want to learn to shoot because they want to know how to defend themselves. Although 99.9% of their ammo goes downrange and not at an attacker, the intent of putting that ammo downrange is that they become and remain proficient should they need to use those skills against an attacker.

V-Tach

Post by V-Tach »

So....... all pistols/Firearms were designed with the intent to kill......

I would respectfully disagree....

Return to “Instructors' Corner”