Can you suggest a 380 pistol as a loaner for beginners?

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

mayor
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Can you suggest a 380 pistol as a loaner for beginners?

Post by mayor »

ELB wrote:I occasionally hear some complaints about the Bersa Thunder, but I hear so many more good comments by people who love them it makes me want to run out and buy one. (I just wish the slide safety didn't work "backwards.")

ETA: wow, spare factory magazines look pricey tho. :(
Once I figured out how the little bersa works and found all the little nuisances, I haven't had any problems. Mine eats everything I've fed it. Magazines are pricey - which is a bummer, but I don't carry mine, just plink.

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Pawpaw »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:It's rather expensive for a loaner gun for LTC classes, but I have a lot of women coming to my LTC and Basic Handgun Skills classes with SIG P238's. They seem to function well, have good sights and since they are locking-breech .380's, the slide is easy to rack.
And on top of that, the P238 shoots like a cream-puff. I have read so many articles that mention the "harsh recoil" of .380 pistols because they are mostly tiny and light little guns. Well, the P238 is tiny and light, but the recoil is very, very soft.

The one thing that could be a minor problem for the new shooter is that very short sight radius.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

ELB
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ELB »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:...

..., you can't beat a .33LR for people who know nothing about guns.

Chas.
Plus it has the advantage of being able to use it for the qualification test... :mrgreen:
USAF 1982-2005

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

ELB wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:...

..., you can't beat a .33LR for people who know nothing about guns.

Chas.
Plus it has the advantage of being able to use it for the qualification test... :mrgreen:
Yeah, but ammo is hard to find.... ;-)
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

o b juan

Post by o b juan »

Ryan hit the right one the Walther PK.380 Plus 1 PK.22 to get the ladies started it is easy then to transition to the PK .380.

I have 2 that I rent, reason being so many do not own a handgun

I also am amazed at how many have never fired a handgun that are now coming to the CHL/Ltc classes over the last 8 or 10 years.

In the beginning sept 95 everyone had a H G and knew how to use it..

Times they are changing and folks who never dreamed of owning firearms are now. :txflag:
CHL Instructor since 95'/ School safety Since Jan 17' :patriot:

MJR

Post by MJR »

Took my CHL with a Sig P238 and just also bought a Glock 42. They both will work just fine.
I like the .380 :clapping:

rob777

Post by rob777 »

Ryan wrote:Walther PK380

:iagree: Very reliable. Very easy to handle.
"Rescue the weak and the needy; deliver them from the hand of the wicked.”

philip964

Post by philip964 »

For a first time shooter a Glock 17 seems perfect.

It does not help them get adjusted to concealed carry, but for taking the shooting test in the CHL class, to me it is an excellent choice.

Eric Lamberson

Post by Eric Lamberson »

I've had good success with the Springfield XD 4". A local FFL had a batch of Ruger LCPs he purchased for a good price and was selling them accordingly--particularly to women. A number of novice shooters showed up in my CHL classes with them and (not surprisingly) could not hit a barn with it. Everyone of them qualified with the loaner XD.
Massad Ayoob Group Staff Instructor, NRA Life Member, Pistol instructor, and RSO;
Texas LTC Instructor, IDPA 6-gun Master, Suarez International Affiliate

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

They are harder to find, but the CZ-83 pistols that are occasionally available as police surplus are very easy pistols to shoot. They have a 12 round double stack magazine so the capacity is good. I also had a Firestorm 380 once. It was a single stack 380 very similar to the Bersa. I sold it to a guy whose wife has it. It worked well and was originally very cheap.

IMO, the pistol needs to have a full size grip (no fingers hanging off), medium weight at least to dampen recoil, and have a slide that is relatively easy to manually cycle. There are probably a number of options out there.

Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Quote: "A local FFL had a batch of Ruger LCPs he purchased for a good price and was selling them accordingly--particularly to women."

In my not-so humble-opinion, dealers that do this to novices should be tarred and feathered.

Based upon some very favorable comments by a member I trust, I recently purchased as a rental gun the Walther PK380 suggested above. I have shot it a bit but have not had a chance yet to put it in the hands of the first Lil Ole Lady. It does have a very easy-to-manipulate slide and the size and grip does a good job of dissipating recoil.
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

CoffeeNut

Post by CoffeeNut »

+1 more for the Bersa Thunder (I have the CC). It is inexpensive, reliable and easy to use.

As Charles mentioned the P238 is a great .380 but it is about $200 more expensive on average. That said the slide is easier to rack on it. Spare mags are a rip off at $40/46 a pop.
EDC: Sig Sauer P320SC / P238

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

A buddy of mine has the Bersa Thunder .380 and he swears by it.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

MikeyJ

Post by MikeyJ »

mojo84 wrote: I agree. I was just thinking the context of this thread was regarding a loaner for the LTC qualification.
I was thinking the same thing. Basic shooting is outside the scope of the LTC class. I took my class in February. There was one student that passed the qualification, but that the instructor thought needed a little more range time (she was in a different shooting group, so I don't know if she was having trouble reloading or what). He offered her a free hour of one-on-one range instruction to make sure she was comfortable with her weapon (and no, she was not young and blonde ;-) ).

If you're taking an LTC class, you should spend the range time to get familiar with your weapon. A few trips to the range should be enough. If you haven't taken the time to be proficient before the class, what are the odds that you'll go to the range regularly afterward to maintain some level of competence?

Return to “Instructors' Corner”