No Open Carry Sign. What do you think?

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
kg5ie
Posts in topic: 1

No Open Carry Sign. What do you think?

Post by kg5ie »

Ran into this tonight at a local café. What do you think?
Attachments
IMG_0169.JPG
Bill Davis [kg5ie]
TX LTC Instructor / School Safety Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor
http://safe-2-carry.com

C-dub

Re: No Open Carry Sign. What do you think?

Post by C-dub »

I don't know what that TABC statute is, but I'd bet if anyone did OC there they'd get oral notification pretty quick if they didn't just call the police.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Totally bogus for a LTC holder. There is no TABC rule that doesn't allow the licensed open carry of a handgun in a non-51% location. However, you are gonna get verbal notice anyway, so why even mess with it.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

The Wall

Post by The Wall »

Guess they didn't like the look of the 30.07 signs. Take that sign and any other sign that says they don't want you in their establishment with a open carried gun and obey it. Either that don't go in at all. I don't think the alcohol part has any merit unless they are 51%. I could be wrong on that since TABC seems to change the laws at random.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Keith B wrote:Totally bogus for a LTC holder. There is no TABC rule that doesn't allow the licensed open carry of a handgun in a non-51% location. However, you are gonna get verbal notice anyway, so why even mess with it.
The Wall wrote:Guess they didn't like the look of the 30.07 signs. Take that sign and any other sign that says they don't want you in their establishment with a open carried gun and obey it. Either that don't go in at all. I don't think the alcohol part has any merit unless they are 51%. I could be wrong on that since TABC seems to change the laws at random.
Exactly. The sign has no legal authority over licensed carry, but why turn your visit to the liquor store into a fight? Either conceal and go in, or keep out. Or.......get yourself thrown out. But if you get yourself thrown out, don't whine about it.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Battousai

Post by Battousai »

He might just be miss informed... If you read JUST 11.61e it does prohibit it, but then read subsectionssubsections, 1-4 it gives exceptions.... LTC holders are covered under subsection 4

txpilot

Post by txpilot »

Battousai wrote:He might just be miss informed... If you read JUST 11.61e it does prohibit it, but then read subsectionssubsections, 1-4 it gives exceptions.... LTC holders are covered under subsection 4
Actually, that section applies to all carry - not just open carry as his sign says. But of course the exception still applies to CHL/LTC holders.

rotor

Post by rotor »

If they have a liquor license aren't they required to post a blue or red sign? If they don't post aren't they in violation of the law? The sign that you showed does not substitute for a blue or red TABC sign.

Solaris
Banned

Post by Solaris »

rotor wrote:If they have a liquor license aren't they required to post a blue or red sign? If they don't post aren't they in violation of the law? The sign that you showed does not substitute for a blue or red TABC sign.
No, those signs are only for on-premise consumption.

casp625

Post by casp625 »

Solaris wrote:
rotor wrote:If they have a liquor license aren't they required to post a blue or red sign? If they don't post aren't they in violation of the law? The sign that you showed does not substitute for a blue or red TABC sign.
No, those signs are only for on-premise consumption.
Local cafes sell liquor for off-premise consumption?

Scott in Houston

Post by Scott in Houston »

I get the intention of the 30.07 signs, but in reality, any "No Open Carry" sign works to the same extent.
Unlike walking past an invalid no concealed carry sign, walking past any no open carry sign is just asking for trouble.
It will likely also get a negative reaction of the posting of valid 30.07 AND…. worse yet, 30.06 signs.

Any sign prohibiting open carry equals a 30.07 sign in my book. They will clearly just tell you to leave verbally and again, likely post valid 30.06 signs as well.

Return to “Instructors' Corner”