Wearing Body Armor While Teaching?

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

clarionite
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Wearing Body Armor While Teaching?

Post by clarionite »

I bought a set of plates and a carrier from AR500. I had all intentions of wearing them while I'm teaching. But I'm not your normal sized guy, so they aren't tall enough for me. I'm eyeing a much larger set I saw at a place in San Antonio to replace the set I bought. I have mine posted on here to sell.

n5wd
Posts in topic: 1

Post by n5wd »

clarionite -> I'm looking for XLT plates as well. Can you pass along the place in San Antonio either here or PM that had the larger plates?

Thanks!
NRA-Life member, NRA Instructor, NRA RSO, TSRA member,
Vietnam (AF) Veteran -- Amateur Extra class amateur radio operator: N5WD

Email: CHL@centurylink.net

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

parabelum wrote:Saw a guy giving his what looked like 10-11 year old daughter 1911 to shoot, nothing wrong with that if done SAFELY!, but she had her finger on the trigger prematurely and dropped the gun after she fired.
My daughter was 9 when she first shot a handgun. I gave her my Glock 19 (similar recoil to a full size 1911 in .45), but I only loaded one round in the mag until I was confident that she could handle the gun. This was specifically to prevent any issues with her dropping the gun or letting the recoil move it away from a down range orientation. Her first rifle was a .22 Cricket single shot that is still in my safe. She had to read the manual and pass a verbal test by me on the guns operation and gun safety before she got to take it to the range. I would pass that one on to her little brother (who is soon to be 8), except for the fact that it is pink. Guess I will have to pony up $100 or so for a brown one.

The point is to set a new shooter up for success, or at least safety, as much as possible. This is especially true if they are a kid. And doubly so if they are a boy (sorry, I know I'm stereotyping, but boys just seem a lot less calm than girls of the same age).

Jago668

Post by Jago668 »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:
parabelum wrote:Saw a guy giving his what looked like 10-11 year old daughter 1911 to shoot, nothing wrong with that if done SAFELY!, but she had her finger on the trigger prematurely and dropped the gun after she fired.
My daughter was 9 when she first shot a handgun. I gave her my Glock 19 (similar recoil to a full size 1911 in .45), but I only loaded one round in the mag until I was confident that she could handle the gun. This was specifically to prevent any issues with her dropping the gun or letting the recoil move it away from a down range orientation. Her first rifle was a .22 Cricket single shot that is still in my safe. She had to read the manual and pass a verbal test by me on the guns operation and gun safety before she got to take it to the range. I would pass that one on to her little brother (who is soon to be 8), except for the fact that it is pink. Guess I will have to pony up $100 or so for a brown one.

The point is to set a new shooter up for success, or at least safety, as much as possible. This is especially true if they are a kid. And doubly so if they are a boy (sorry, I know I'm stereotyping, but boys just seem a lot less calm than girls of the same age).
Could always take the stock off and spray paint it brown or whatever you want.
NRA Benefactor Member

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Excaliber »

Jago668 wrote:
Soccerdad1995 wrote:

Could always take the stock off and spray paint it brown or whatever you want.
Or just buy a spare brown stock and swap out as needed....... :lol:
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

bkj

Post by bkj »

After teaching CHL for 10 yrs. I am required to wear body arm. It is not the range, DPS or even the NRA that requires it. It is required by the WIFE.
"When seconds count the police are minutes away" Nikki Goeser

“Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority…They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.” Noah Webster

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Excaliber »

More confirmation that students can be dangerous in this article.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Topic author
BCGlocker

Post by BCGlocker »

Excaliber wrote:More confirmation that students can be dangerous in this article.
What a Shame! My thoughts goes out to the family.
Texas LTC Instructor
Texas SSO Instructor
USCCA Certified Instructor
Range Master Certified Instructor

clarionite

Post by clarionite »

n5wd wrote:clarionite -> I'm looking for XLT plates as well. Can you pass along the place in San Antonio either here or PM that had the larger plates?

Thanks!

The place in San Antonio that had the larger Soft Armor is Top Brass. I had to order larger plates from AR500.

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

My wife and sons just gave a "late birthday present". It was a vest with level IIIA, Kevlar 10x12 inserts. The boys convinced their mother that I probably would not wear anything heavier. (I have no idea why my sons would think I am hardheaded) I have worn it for a private class where 3 students were shooting and a proficiency shoot where I had 6 at a time shooting. It was hot (outdoor range) but I have to admit that wearing the vest put my mind at ease, knowing that they felt safer for me.

I have been wearing a body cam for well over a year. Especially when shooting private classes for the ladies, now I wear it at all shooting classes.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

MadMonkey

Post by MadMonkey »

I've worn them while instructing/range Nazi-ing, and there have been multiple times when not wearing them that I really wish I had.

I believe I'll start making it a habit. It's also a good way to get used to movement in your plate carrier if you intend to use one.
“Beware the fury of a patient man.” - John Dryden

Return to “Instructors' Corner”