A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 2

NRA Instructor Credential Renewal

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I know many LTC Instructors are concerned about the process and requirements to renew their NRA Instructor credentials. I've been talking with HQ and they are aware of the issue. When all necessary programming is finished, it will be necessary for us to take an online continuing education course to renew our NRA credentials. (Contrary to what has been previously reported, it will not be a matter of retaking the BIT course.) It will also be necessary to show proof that we are providing firearms teaching -- "practicing our craft" as it has been described. We are currently required to submit class reports to NRA HQ when we teach NRA classes, so that information will be available to the NRA even if we don't register those classes on the NRA instructor/student website.

The sticking point for LTC instructors seems to be the mechanism for providing proof that we have taught non-NRA classes like the LTC class. The NRA online class registration page has an option for "non-NRA classes," but instructors have expressed concern about providing a student's name, address, phone number, email address, age and gender. That concern is understandable. I have been assured that a procedure will be created to allow LTC instructors (and our counterparts in other states) to report our teaching activities without potentially running afoul of potential privacy laws and issues. Since neither the continuing education course requirement, or proof of firearms instruction activities are currently required to renew our NRA credentials, we still have time to implement a reporting procedure.

I did confirm that is not appropriate for an instructor to use their address, phone number or other contact information in place of a student's information, if/when the instructor registers a class on the NRA website.

So the bottom line is that the NRA understands the problem and Texas LTC instructors are not going to be denied renewal of NRA credentials. However, if an LTC instructor is not teaching any classes, then they will not be able to renew their NRA credentials.

I hope this information helps to put folks at ease.
Chas.

cyphertext
Posts in topic: 1

Re: NRA Instructor Credential Renewal

Post by cyphertext »

Charles,
I have these credentials for only one reason... to teach Boy Scouts. I don't do official NRA courses with NRA books and materials. How is this going to affect me and many BSA merit badge counselors like me?

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

cyphertext wrote:Charles,
I have these credentials for only one reason... to teach Boy Scouts. I don't do official NRA courses with NRA books and materials. How is this going to affect me and many BSA merit badge counselors like me?
BSA instructors are already taken care of, but I don't know the specifics. You too will be okay because you are teaching minors.

Chas.

gthaustex

Post by gthaustex »

Charles,

Thank you for continuing to provide information like this to the rest of us. We appreciate it immensely.

o b juan

Post by o b juan »

Charles

I have tried to enroll only 3 classes .
But I have not put anyones name or address since 2016 on LTC Classes I have held, and have held at least 50 classes in 2105 2016
And have put them on the site but they have shown up as not complete.
I have had my License since sept 1995 from Texas DPS. Which I thought was sufficient at the time as we were told in the class If we did the 5 Day.

I went to the site of nra to renew and used my credit card and received thru email licensing thru 2018.

I have tried be compliant with NRA on classes but have not seen any result from them except they renewed me when they got the credit card.!!

Charles what am I missingt?

I am getting older and can still teach the classes as required but it seems to me that NRA is a stumbling block at times if a person is not really computer literat, as I am in that category.
CHL Instructor since 95'/ School safety Since Jan 17' :patriot:

Return to “Instructors' Corner”