A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 8

Re: School Safety Certification Instructor Classes

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Scott B. wrote:Charles,

Since you were in one of the pilot classes - how many days are we talking about?
The statute (Gov't Code §411.1901) requires the instructor class to be between 15 and 20 hrs. Our class was 16 hrs.

Chas.

o b juan
Posts in topic: 2

Post by o b juan »

Charles

Max or minimum days scheduled for instructors
CHL Instructor since 95'/ School safety Since Jan 17' :patriot:

Smokey613
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Smokey613 »

RossA wrote:Charles, I once inquired about offering similar classes for churches, and I was told that teaching classes to "security teams" or whatever you would call them constituted a violation of the Occupations Code which requires someone to be certified as a licensed Texas Security Guard instructor.
Is that right?
You can thank the private security lobbyists for this. They did the same thing to part time / reserve deputies working extra jobs a couple of decades ago. These officers were cutting into their jobs so they paid lobbyists to convince the state legislature to change the laws for their benefit. I used to work a full time security job at a bank in Houston in the late 70s when I was a reserve HCSO deputy. All the bank security were off duty/reserve deputies. I dare say we had more training and definitely had more authority to handle situations than the average security guard. I eventually went full time with HCSO and had to quit but this law still galls me, especially now that there is no longer any differences in training requirements for a reserve/part-time/full time peace officer in Texas. They all have to take the same training.

Okay, I will get off my soapbox again.
Texas LEO / TCOLE Firearms Instructor / LTC / Glock Armorer / NRA Endowment-Life Member

RossA
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by RossA »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
RossA wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:
Liberty wrote:Will regular people be able to take these classes and get a certificate. A course like this sounds like it would be appropriate for the workplace, or even at terrorist targets like malls, churches or workplaces.
I don't know of any requirement that a student must be a teacher or other employee of a school to take the course. I wholeheartedly agree that it would be an appropriate course for businesses, churches, etc. I plan to offer such classes, including our church.

Chas.
Charles, I once inquired about offering similar classes for churches, and I was told that teaching classes to "security teams" or whatever you would call them constituted a violation of the Occupations Code which requires someone to be certified as a licensed Texas Security Guard instructor.
Is that right?
I don't know. If I teach the class to churches, it won't be to security teams, but to Sunday School teachers and other Bible Study leaders.

Chas.
That is more of what I envisioned, but I was told by someone (who sounded knowledgeable at the time) that no matter who you taught or what you called it, it was still teaching people how to act as security guards. Not using the word "security" doesn't destroy the fact that they are actually acting in that capacity.
I would still love to do this, but don't want to run afoul of any laws.
God and the soldier we adore,
In times of danger, not before.
The danger gone, the trouble righted,
God's forgotten, the soldier slighted.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

RossA wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:
RossA wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:
Liberty wrote:Will regular people be able to take these classes and get a certificate. A course like this sounds like it would be appropriate for the workplace, or even at terrorist targets like malls, churches or workplaces.
I don't know of any requirement that a student must be a teacher or other employee of a school to take the course. I wholeheartedly agree that it would be an appropriate course for businesses, churches, etc. I plan to offer such classes, including our church.

Chas.
Charles, I once inquired about offering similar classes for churches, and I was told that teaching classes to "security teams" or whatever you would call them constituted a violation of the Occupations Code which requires someone to be certified as a licensed Texas Security Guard instructor.
Is that right?
I don't know. If I teach the class to churches, it won't be to security teams, but to Sunday School teachers and other Bible Study leaders.

Chas.
That is more of what I envisioned, but I was told by someone (who sounded knowledgeable at the time) that no matter who you taught or what you called it, it was still teaching people how to act as security guards. Not using the word "security" doesn't destroy the fact that they are actually acting in that capacity.
I would still love to do this, but don't want to run afoul of any laws.
That opinion, if it was ever correct, isn't now. The Legislature mandated the creation of the course, so at a very minimum, teaching teachers would not constitute a violation of the Occupations code.

Also, that argument would apply to teaching anyone how to shoot and defend themselves and their families.

Chas.

Topic author
kg5ie
Posts in topic: 4

Post by kg5ie »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:I was in the first of two pilot classes and my certificate should be here next week. Classes for LTC instructors who want this extra certification to teach the school safety course will likely be scheduled in January. The application form is already on the DPS website.

The legislative purpose for this course is to teach teachers how to defend a class against an "active shooter." The target audience are teachers who carry handguns in their classrooms. This is not a 4 hr. course for teachers. It's a minimum of 16 hrs. and the shooting portion of the class is going to be pretty demanding for come folks. (90% score on the range.) I was very impressed with the course DPS created in response to this very difficult legislative mandate of a 16hr course. It won't make teachers "operators," but it will make them think and give them some direction. This is better than trying to figure out what to do when they hear the first rounds going off.

Chas.

Charles,

You said 90% score on the range. Can you give us any description of the course of fire for the qualification? Seems like they would allow some practice. e.g Course of fire for LTC qualification is posted to public.
Bill Davis [kg5ie]
TX LTC Instructor / School Safety Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor
http://safe-2-carry.com

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

kg5ie wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:I was in the first of two pilot classes and my certificate should be here next week. Classes for LTC instructors who want this extra certification to teach the school safety course will likely be scheduled in January. The application form is already on the DPS website.

The legislative purpose for this course is to teach teachers how to defend a class against an "active shooter." The target audience are teachers who carry handguns in their classrooms. This is not a 4 hr. course for teachers. It's a minimum of 16 hrs. and the shooting portion of the class is going to be pretty demanding for come folks. (90% score on the range.) I was very impressed with the course DPS created in response to this very difficult legislative mandate of a 16hr course. It won't make teachers "operators," but it will make them think and give them some direction. This is better than trying to figure out what to do when they hear the first rounds going off.

Chas.

Charles,

You said 90% score on the range. Can you give us any description of the course of fire for the qualification? Seems like they would allow some practice. e.g Course of fire for LTC qualification is posted to public.
They have to pass the LTC qualification course at 90%. There are other shooting drills also, but I'll have to look at the material to see if that is scored as well, or if it's just practice.

Chas.

eddieburgess

Post by eddieburgess »

Charles, is the shooting qualification required administered in the same fashion as the qualification to become an instructor?
In an earlier post you referenced shooting drills.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

eddieburgess wrote:Charles, is the shooting qualification required administered in the same fashion as the qualification to become an instructor?
In an earlier post you referenced shooting drills.
I don't fully understand your question. Again, I was in the first of two pilot classes, so this may have changed.

Instructors will have to pass the regular LTC qualification course with a 90 % score. Teacher students will also have to score 90%. I don't recall our additional drills being officially scored, nor do I know if they will be scored for teachers.

Chas.

eddieburgess

Post by eddieburgess »

That covered exactly what I was curious about. Thank you.
I was curious if any additional shooting qualification had been added over and above what was required to become an Instructor.
Thanks again.

o b juan

Post by o b juan »

Charles

I have been accepted 2 the 26/27 class
can we get the SSC course outline before we go to the class

I see it is listed and password protected at Instructor resources.
CHL Instructor since 95'/ School safety Since Jan 17' :patriot:

Return to “Instructors' Corner”