Waiting for LTC Instructor Class

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
tatterry
Posts in topic: 2

Waiting for LTC Instructor Class

Post by tatterry »

Submitted all paperwork, just waiting to get notification on Instructor Class.

it has been two weeks since everything has been accepted and/or completed. ie except for the certificate.

1. How do they notify you about the class? email or regular mail?
2. What is the typical timeline for the notification?
3. How many days is the class?

Any recommendation on what to bring? notebook? laptop?
What is the range like? outdoor? indoor? typical dress?

Thanks
Tim

RossA
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Waiting for LTC Instructor Class

Post by RossA »

It's been six years since I took the class, and I understand that the format changes from time to time. My class was Monday through Thursday in class, then range firing on Saturday. I have heard that some classes were condensed into two very long days with range time on the third day.
If you have already taken your CHL or LTC class and have a license, you will learn very little that you already don't know.
Range time was fun. We went to the DPS range near Georgetown where they have the targets that turn to face you and then turn back away. You aren't given typical range commands about when your time begins for firing certain strings, you simply shoot the appropriate number of rounds as soon as the target turns to face you. If the standards are still the same, we had to shoot with both a revolver and a semi auto, and had to score at least 225 with each. Still not terribly difficult if you know what you are doing.
DPS instructors try to make the class interesting and informative, and they are helpful and supportive, but I think they know that the class could be shorter.
God and the soldier we adore,
In times of danger, not before.
The danger gone, the trouble righted,
God's forgotten, the soldier slighted.

Middle Age Russ

Post by Middle Age Russ »

They informed me that I am in the class to be held February 22-24. Other than that I haven't received any information about location(s), specific times or what to bring. I am getting a bit antsy about it since I need to make lodging reservations...
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

locke_n_load

Post by locke_n_load »

I am taking the instructor course Feb 1-3. You will receive an email asking you which course of 2 you would like to take. After emailing your preference, they will email you back that you have been accepted and details about hotels in the areas.

I submitted all my paperwork/fingerprints on March 8, 2016 and received my email for class selection sometime in December. It will have been 11 months that I waited to get certified.

I will let you know what the format is like. Don't forget that you will need to qualify with a 90% with both a revolver and autoloader.
CHL Holder since 10/08
NRA Certified Instructor
Former LTC Instructor

locke_n_load

Post by locke_n_load »

Middle Age Russ wrote:They informed me that I am in the class to be held February 22-24. Other than that I haven't received any information about location(s), specific times or what to bring. I am getting a bit antsy about it since I need to make lodging reservations...
Russ, you should contact them, you should know where to go, hotels in the area, ammo information, etc. by now.
CHL Holder since 10/08
NRA Certified Instructor
Former LTC Instructor

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

One of these days we'll get a sticky on the subject.

Here's a couple of good threads from 2016

http://www.texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=80890

http://www.texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=79616

Notification by email. When? You might make the May class. Keep your fingers crossed.

Notepad won't hurt and you can doodle to help stay awake. Wouldn't bother with a laptop.

Outdoor range. Very nice. Regular range attire, no shorts or flip flops.
Last edited by Scott B. on Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

Topic author
tatterry

Post by tatterry »

Waiting for a email, not expecting it anytime soon...
thanks for the other suggestions. and the other threads kind of explained it all.

thanks
tim

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

I believe starting in 2017 a three piece suit with a non-clip on tie or a tux is required at the firing range. I may or may not be mistaken. :tiphat:
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

Return to “Instructors' Corner”