Recommended First Aid training

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
mloamiller
Posts in topic: 5

Re: Recommended First Aid training

Post by mloamiller »

I contacted Lone Star Medics about their Range Response class, but they don't have any public classes scheduled for the rest of the year. He did have a Medic 1 class in July, so I've signed up for that, in large part based on the recommendations from this thread.

Class is on 7/15-16; I'll post an update afterwards.
LTC/SSC Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor, RSO

oljames3
Posts in topic: 1

Post by oljames3 »

I am very careful with my training dollars. Having made the decision to carry a handgun as my best self defense tool, I find it prudent to be trained in all aspects of its use. And in dealing with the consequences.

I've been certified by the Army as a Combat Lifesaver and by the Red Cross in CPR. I took Lone Star Medic's Medicine X-EDC class on June 3-4 of this year. http://lonestarmedics.com/medicine-x-edc/ Two days, 0800 to 1700, see the link for details. The training combined firing from concealment will administering buddy care and self-care. It was intense and as realistic as training can be. http://blog.krtraining.com/medicine-x-e ... -2017-aar/

The class is billed as "Every Day Carry", as in how one carries each and every day. The handgun aspect of the training was from concealment only. I carry openly every day. For me, this training was from a non-EDC, degraded mode. That is the main reason I took the course. If I can perform well from a degraded mode, I can perform better in my normal mode.

I now carry a SOFTT-W tourniquet daily and am confident in my ability to use it. I don't expect to ever use it as a result of shooting, but I can. It is much more likely that I will use it as a result of a traffic or work accident. The class updated my knowledge of and ability to use current emergency medical gear and techniques.

If you are interested in learning to treat penetrating trauma while under fire, this class is for you. This is my worst-case scenario. I don't want to watch someone I love die because I lack the training and ability to prevent it when that training is readily available. As a result of this class, I am much better able to protect myself and my family.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Bitter Clinger
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Bitter Clinger »

mloamiller wrote:I contacted Lone Star Medics about their Range Response class, but they don't have any public classes scheduled for the rest of the year. He did have a Medic 1 class in July, so I've signed up for that, in large part based on the recommendations from this thread.

Class is on 7/15-16; I'll post an update afterwards.
Trying to clear my schedule so that I can join you! :cheers2:
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

Topic author
mloamiller

Post by mloamiller »

I completed Lone Star Medics "Medic 1" class this past weekend. It was a good experience - a lot of information covered in two days. I came a way with a knowledge of what I needed in my First Aid bag, and the confidence to use them. He had a lot of hands-on examples for us to work with - tourniquets, bandages, chest seals, etc. It was great to get hands-on experience and determine which devices you were more comfortable with. For example, the Olaes and Israeli bandages are both elastic pressure bandages; the Israeli bandage has a plastic "C" on top that you have to weave the elastic through in order to apply the pressure to the wound; the Olaes bandage uses a different technique. While I liked the idea of the Israeli bandage, I found that when trying to use it under pressure (he had us do several mock scenarios), it could be tricky trying to weave the elastic into the "C"; I decided I prefer the Olaes bandage.

Another example - we used two different types of tourniquets - a "SOF-T Wide Tourniquet" and a "Combat Application Tourniquet", or CAT. Both are very similar, but there was one significant difference. For the CAT, in order to un-buckle the strap (such as if you have to slip it under the leg of someone lying on the ground), you then had to re-thread the end of the strap through a double-buckle. The SOF-T had a single clip you just clicked back togther. Again, neither is that difficult to do until you have to do it under pressure; in that case I much preferred the SOF-T.

We also learned to apply bandages, tourniquets, splints, etc. along with CPR and using an AED. Like I said, a lot of info in 2 days.
LTC/SSC Instructor

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

I wish there was something in the Houston area.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

How much is the "Medic 1" class?

I know that an ECA course will run you between $375-$450 up here (training division as an example). It is not ALS of course, but for what it is, you do get exposure to a wide variety of medical and trauma topics & skills. After completing the course you are eligible for NREMT ECA test.

Definitely would recommend ECA for those who wish to gain more knowledge but who are not seeking paid career in EMS (I'd go with EMT-P program then).

Topic author
mloamiller

Post by mloamiller »

parabelum wrote:How much is the "Medic 1" class?
Either $300 or $350 for the the two days, depending on how far in advance you register.
LTC/SSC Instructor

Return to “Instructors' Corner”