A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
o b juan
Posts in topic: 3

School safety Instructors

Post by o b juan »

I attended the End of Jan.. Class
Is there anyway to up the volume on the Powerpoint Especially the VA Tech Interview.
My computer skills are (you guessed it) Lacking.
And I have never used A P.P. Doing the CHL in the 21 years I have held the classes. :oops: I am aware now that P.P. Can be very helpful

Thanks L.T.
CHL Instructor since 95'/ School safety Since Jan 17' :patriot:

WildBill
Posts in topic: 1

Re: School safety Instructors

Post by WildBill »

It would probably be easier for you to download the Virginia Tech video from YouTube and then just
play it on your computer. That way you can adjust the volume directly.
aTube Catcher is a free program that allows you to download and save videos.
You could also embed the video in your own PP and set the volume as you wish.

I see the value of PowerPoint, but it is vastly overused IMO. :tiphat:
NRA Endowment Member

Salty1
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Salty1 »

i would attach the computer to a modern TV that has the available inputs. That way you can use the TV volume. Personally I would not be happy if I had to look at presentations and slides on a computer screen while attending a class.....
Salty1

Topic author
o b juan

Post by o b juan »

Salty I kind of felt like you and have never had any proliferal(SP) add ons other than the CHL book and my voice and a few News clippings occasionally used in presentation of the CHL.
the 4 or 5 short videos in the SSI class were worth watching.

I do not believe I could got the point over that was presented by just talking about it.

Until you attend the class you could not understand.

Be safe LT

Topic author
o b juan

Post by o b juan »

oops // salty Thought you were a CHL Innstructor.

See you have a gun store somewhere, there was no address of the location on website.

kg5ie
Posts in topic: 1

Post by kg5ie »

Use powered speakers with a volume control. I use them along with a laptop and projector.
Bill Davis [kg5ie]
TX LTC Instructor / School Safety Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor
http://safe-2-carry.com

Salty1
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Salty1 »

OB Juan, no I am not an instructor and have never had the desire to be one. I assist a friend with his classes and also assisted with setting up his Teacher Safety Class so I have a clue what I am talking about. Further more I have during my business career been forced to sit through the inevitable death by powerpoint. The presentation is for the class and they all should be able to see it clearly along with any associated videos, a computer monitor does not work if one wants to be a professional. I understand the value of powerpoint and know the presentaion you are referencing. The bottom line is that if an instructor reads the presentation to the class then it is a waste of time for everybody. The presentation is a guideline with bullet points and each topic needs to be discussed in an open forum not read to the attendees. Being a competant instructor entails a lot more than attending a class, this includes utilizing the right technologies and the ability to draw out opinions coupled with an open discussion. Although the DPS powerpoint is not bad it has a lot to be desired and I question their use and revelancy of certain videos. Good luck with your classes and I hope everything works out
Salty1

Return to “Instructors' Corner”