New Rate Assumptions

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
kg5ie
Posts in topic: 2

New Rate Assumptions

Post by kg5ie »

I have a class next Sat and I assume I will be asked about the new rates. If we assume the bill will be signed, should we assume the rates kick in Sept 1. or should we assume programming changes might push it to 1/1/18?
Bill Davis [kg5ie]
TX LTC Instructor / School Safety Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor
http://safe-2-carry.com

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Re: New Rate Assumptions

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

If SB16 passes the House without amendments, then the new rate will go into effect for applications submitted on or after 9/1/2017.

Chas.

Topic author
kg5ie

Post by kg5ie »

:tiphat: :tiphat:

Thanks!
Bill Davis [kg5ie]
TX LTC Instructor / School Safety Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor
http://safe-2-carry.com

Bad Hombre
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Bad Hombre »

If the $40 license fee passes, I wonder how long the wait times will be for September applicants.

I decided to apply now. If I need my handgun this summer the $100 difference will be cheap.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Bad Hombre wrote:If the $40 license fee passes, I wonder how long the wait times will be for September applicants.

I decided to apply now. If I need my handgun this summer the $100 difference will be cheap.
That's an excellent question. I expect to see DPS slammed with new applications after Sept. 1st. I also expect Instructors to see fewer students until September. The training certificate (CHL-100) is good for two years, but people have no way of knowing that until they take the class. Of course, some people may hold off taking the class because they won't apply unless the fee is reduced to $40.

Chas.

RossA
Banned

Post by RossA »

superchief wrote:I'm worried that people will hold off thinking 1911 will pass. carrying out of state is not enough reason for some people to spend the money. as i've stated in other posts, i'm really torn on 1911. I always thought of myself as pure constitutionalist. I could lose thousands a year in income if no license is required. what a conundrum!
I am in the same boat. I would love to see Constitutional carry, but I know that it will take money out of my pocket. If I really believe in the Constitution, that has to come before my desire for more money. :patriot:
God and the soldier we adore,
In times of danger, not before.
The danger gone, the trouble righted,
God's forgotten, the soldier slighted.

troglodyte

Post by troglodyte »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:That's an excellent question. I expect to see DPS slammed with new applications after Sept. 1st. I also expect Instructors to see fewer students until September. The training certificate (CHL-100) is good for two years, but people have no way of knowing that until they take the class. Of course, some people may hold off taking the class because they won't apply unless the fee is reduced to $40.

Chas.
I'm already seeing less inquiries and fewer people signing up for classes. I already see fewer students during the summer anyway with more money and time dedicated to vacations and such. It may be hard to get a class to make before Sept. IF HB1911 goes through then I suspect I'll be hard pressed to make another LTC class as an independent. I figure the gun store and range will get most of the customers as they are more public facing. I'll transition into the School Safety Certification but that is a limited pool as more instructors get their SSC license and there are only so many schools that allow their staff to carry. That means I either fall back to NRA courses or private training or hang it up. I've got some money invested in SSC so I hope I can make that work for at least a little while, and that as a former teacher I really want to help the schools out.

I'm certainly not begrudging HB1911 just trying to figure out which way I may have to go.

Certainly some interesting and uncertain times.
Talon Firearms Training
Instructor - License To Carry, School Safety, First Responder: Texas DPS, Certified Instructor: Rangemasters/Tom Givens
NRA Instructor - Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Range Safety Officer
Stop The Bleed Instructor

rob777

Post by rob777 »

troglodyte wrote:I'm certainly not begrudging HB1911 just trying to figure out which way I may have to go.
Many of us are in the same boat...
"Rescue the weak and the needy; deliver them from the hand of the wicked.”

Return to “Instructors' Corner”