New Online teaching.

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
mommagamber
Posts in topic: 2

New Online teaching.

Post by mommagamber »

Are any of y'all going to try to do the online teaching? I would like too but don't know how or what qualifies as online teaching? A Youtube video from 3 yrs ago? It is hard since we have never been able to teach online LTC/CHL before.
I conceal carry because I choose not to be a victim.

jmorris
Posts in topic: 3

Re: New Online teaching.

Post by jmorris »

The forms have been posted to the DPS website to apply to do online training. One is an affidavit wherein you assert you are qualified to perform online training. Only problem is.that nowhere do they say what is considered online training.
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

Topic author
mommagamber
Posts in topic: 2

Post by mommagamber »

jmorris wrote: Only problem is.that nowhere do they say what is considered online training.
Right, that is where I am so confused. I was going through it all morning trying to figure it out.
I conceal carry because I choose not to be a victim.

infoman
Posts in topic: 1

Post by infoman »

DPS won’t know any details till well into 2018.

ChrisR
Posts in topic: 5

Post by ChrisR »

infoman wrote:DPS won’t know any details till well into 2018.
It won't be "well into 2018". DPS has already approved several instructors to offer the course online. I just got approved today and I can start offering the course online now, of course my website for the online course is not complete yet.

ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

mommagamber wrote:Are any of y'all going to try to do the online teaching? I would like too but don't know how or what qualifies as online teaching? A Youtube video from 3 yrs ago? It is hard since we have never been able to teach online LTC/CHL before.
I don't think a youtube video will work. lol.. You have to have three years experience in offering online training.

jmorris

Post by jmorris »

ChrisR wrote:
It won't be "well into 2018". DPS has already approved several instructors to offer the course online. I just got approved today and I can start offering the course online now, of course my website for the online course is not complete yet.
Assuming you took the DPS course for online training, what did they say that they consider online training? I never got an answer.
Jay E Morris,
NRA Recruiter (link)

ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

jmorris wrote:
ChrisR wrote:
Assuming you took the DPS course for online training, what did they say that they consider online training? I never got an answer.
I didn't have to take a "course". I applied months ago and submitted my qualifications. I received a phone call saying I was now a approved online course provider and my certificate should be in the mail today. I don't know what all is accepted as "3 years experience in online training". All I know is that they accepted what I provided. I have a separate company that has provided online courses for the past 7 years. They accepted that as my 3 years of experience. I'm pretty sure that most LTC instructors will not qualify to offer the course online, I'm lucky enough to already have a online education company.

jmorris

Post by jmorris »

ChrisR wrote:......

I didn't have to take a "course". I applied months ago and submitted my qualifications. I received a phone call saying I was now a approved online course provider and my certificate should be in the mail today. I don't know what all is accepted as "3 years experience in online training". All I know is that they accepted what I provided. I have a separate company that has provided online courses for the past 7 years. They accepted that as my 3 years of experience. I'm pretty sure that most LTC instructors will not qualify to offer the course online, I'm lucky enough to already have a online education company.
Perhaps I'm misreading GC §411.190. QUALIFIED HANDGUN INSTRUCTORS AND APPROVED ONLINE COURSE PROVIDERS.
(c) ...If the background check indicates that the applicant for certification would qualify to receive a handgun license, the department shall provide handgun instructor or online course provider training to the applicant. The applicant shall pay a fee of $100 to the department for the training. The applicant must take and successfully complete the training offered by the department and pay the training fee before the department may certify the applicant as a qualified handgun instructor or approved online course provider. ......

But I took this to be two separate training classes. Conceivably one wouldn't even have to have a LTC or have taken the handgun proficiency test to do the online classroom portion.

Since it appears any instructor can provide the not less than one hour but not more than two hours of the range instruction part has anyone seen any information on what this consists of?

During my retraining class the DPS trooper asked how many thought they'd qualified to conduct online training and about 8-10 people raised their hands. I questioned what they meant by online training and they had no answer. I figure I'd qualify because as a government contractor and employee for over twenty years I conducted dozens of training webinars. All I need is Skype.
Jay E Morris,
NRA Recruiter (link)

ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

jmorris wrote:
ChrisR wrote:......

Perhaps I'm misreading GC §411.190. QUALIFIED HANDGUN INSTRUCTORS AND APPROVED ONLINE COURSE PROVIDERS.
(c) ...If the background check indicates that the applicant for certification would qualify to receive a handgun license, the department shall provide handgun instructor or online course provider training to the applicant. The applicant shall pay a fee of $100 to the department for the training. The applicant must take and successfully complete the training offered by the department and pay the training fee before the department may certify the applicant as a qualified handgun instructor or approved online course provider. ......

But I took this to be two separate training classes. Conceivably one wouldn't even have to have a LTC or have taken the handgun proficiency test to do the online classroom portion.

Since it appears any instructor can provide the not less than one hour but not more than two hours of the range instruction part has anyone seen any information on what this consists of?

During my retraining class the DPS trooper asked how many thought they'd qualified to conduct online training and about 8-10 people raised their hands. I questioned what they meant by online training and they had no answer. I figure I'd qualify because as a government contractor and employee for over twenty years I conducted dozens of training webinars. All I need is Skype.
Yes, I know what it says about the "course" to become a online course provider but I assure you that they did not make me take a course. I received my online course provider certificate and I'm good to go. I'm thinking that the only person that would have to take a "course" to become a approved online provider is someone that has applied to be a online course provider and is not a LTC instructor. As far as what qualifies as 3 years of experience offering online training is probably a mystery to them too. I think the the bill to allow online training was to benefit certain "organizations" not LTC instructors. In your case I don't know how you could prove the three year experience offering online training. I actually have records of test that students have taken from my online training company. I do know that "Skype" would not be accepted as a way to give the Texas online course.

ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

Ok. DPS says the 3 years experience of offering online training has to be where a student takes a online course AND takes a online test afterwords. They say that uploading "instructional videos" DOES NOT count. You must show verifiable proof of the 3 years experience. You will see this info on the DPS website, you have to dig for it of course.

cmaricle
Posts in topic: 1

Post by cmaricle »

Just got my certification from DPS to teach online. Trying to figure it all out now.

Return to “Instructors' Corner”