LTC Instructor Timeline 2018

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
whonew22
Posts in topic: 2

LTC Instructor Timeline 2018

Post by whonew22 »

Hey guys I've seen old posts where it takes a couple months to over a year to receive response of available classes. Anyone been through recently? I read an old post that said they do classes every month but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore. I submitted all my paperwork back in January, called to get an update today and the lady said they had people who applied in June 2017 in last month's class. I'm really not understanding what the cause of such major delays could be and more important why they take your money when you apply and it could be an entire year before you can take the class.

RossA
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Re: LTC Instructor Timeline 2018

Post by RossA »

It's been a few years since I received my instructor's certification, so I could be wrong about this, but here is my understanding.
DPS only holds a couple of these classes a year, nowhere near once a month. Therefore, you might sign up to be on the notification list, and it could be months before they schedule the next class and notify you. Even then, they have a certain number of seats in each class, so the people who have been waiting tend to sign up and grab the slots quickly. Frustrating while you are waiting, but it's the process that's in place.
God and the soldier we adore,
In times of danger, not before.
The danger gone, the trouble righted,
God's forgotten, the soldier slighted.

Topic author
whonew22
Posts in topic: 2

Post by whonew22 »

At this rate Texas will probably have passed constitional carry before I take the class and they probably wont be to keen on giving me a refund...hahaha

skeathley

Post by skeathley »

A part of the problem that may or may not be true is that, because there are over 3000 instructors now, they don't see any urgency in holding classes.

A part that is definitely true, is that the DPS Training Unit is over-booked. They have excellent trainers, and one of the finest facilities in the country, so the State Dept keeps making deals with foreign countries for DPS to train their police officers. When I was there for the School Safety course, they had just finished with a police unit from Guatemala (or Honduras), were expecting a group from Morocco, and had to squeeze us in before a new DPS Trainee class the next Monday. Meanwhile, DPS is so short of officers, that some of the firearms training unit have to pull TDY whenever there is a weather emergency.

:totap:
Texas LTC Instructor / RSO / SSC
Viet Nam Veteran: 25th Infantry, Cu Chi
https://mckinneyfirearmstraining.com

BBW

Post by BBW »

I just received an email this morning for an upcoming class in November. I responded and waiting for confirmation. I had submitted my paperwork in December (and resubmitted "lost" info in March).

Burl
Burleigh
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor, CRSO, USAA Coach level 1, BSA merit badge counselor, NRA & TSRA Life member.

AJSully421

Post by AJSully421 »

Applied June 27
Instructor LTC-90 form confirmed received on July 9
Received class invitation email on October 30th for a class the first week of December.

I am aware of a class in mid-November, and I am in Early December, so they certainly do them more often that a few times per year.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

Return to “Instructors' Corner”