Do I Smell Smoke?

To keep abreast of site changes, or to post a question, idea or suggestion for the website.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 2

Do I Smell Smoke?

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I have received PM’s from some concerned members and I share their concern. We are starting to get some posts that do not overtly violate the forum mission statement, but that certainly strain the spirit of the forum. To paraphrase the old adage “no one is above the law,� “no one is exempt from the forum Mission Statement;� not me, nor anyone else.

We have had very few problems since the forum was launched toward the end of December, 2004 and for that I am very appreciative. In fact, I have only edited or deleted a relative handful of posts, most of which were mine! At one point, I jumped-the-gun and banned a member unjustifiedly and after input from members and reconsidering my own action, I removed the ban, publically apologized to him and tried to better explain my concern. I hold no one to a higher standard than I hold myself.

Even among friends and family who know each other well, misunderstandings as to what was meant by a statement can and do occur. TexasCHLforum is a community of over 600 men and women of all ages, backgrounds and experience, the vast majority of whom have never set eyes on one another. A misinterpretation as to someone’s meaning, motive or intent is far more likely to occur under these circumstances, especially when trying to evaluate intangibles in an Internet post.

Much of the information sought and provided by members is very clear cut with little or no room for varying opinions. Examples are: what’s the duration of a CHL, what do certain instructors charge for courses, or where can I find a shooting range in my area. Other subject matter is open for discussion and often disagreement and those discussions can be extremely valuable as they force us all to consider issues we may have never thought of, or to reconsider what we knew or thought we knew. While respectful disagreement on issues is both natural and healthy, we must be cognizant of the effect each post can have on the willingness of others to participate. It is very rare that the substance of one person’s opinion would discourage others to join or stay in a discussion, but the manner in which that opinion is delivered most certainly can. If a response makes a person wish they had never asked a question or joined a discussion, then it doesn’t belong here. A post that is condescending or demeaning is just as unacceptable as one that contains a direct personal attack. This must end today.

Trying to decide when to make a post such as this is difficult. Some may feel I acted too soon, some may feel I waited too long. One thing is certain, it’s much easier to prevent a forest fire than to put one out, so today I’m doing my version of Smokey the Bear.

Regards,
Chas.

carlson1
Posts in topic: 1

Post by carlson1 »

The Philosophy of this forum is what makes it so great. I have been guilty of causing a post to be closed and for that I appologize. I do believe Mr. Charles is correct in making sure we respect others. I know sometimes I am quickly to forget we all have opinions. I value others opionons and experience very much.

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

+1
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Diode

Post by Diode »

Hear, hear!

longtooth
Posts in topic: 3

Post by longtooth »

Me too. :oops: :oops: Guess I am so nieve that I missed the problem. That is a blessing sometimes. Charles you do a great job & this must have been a hard part of that job. Good job.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

ElGato

Post by ElGato »

Every CHL has been taught that we should live in the adult ego state and to stay out of the parent and child ego state, that should apply on this forum as well as on the street.
http://www.tomestepshooting.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm better at retirement than anything I have ever tried. Me
Young People pratice to get better, Old folk's pratice to keep from getting WORSE. Me

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

Yes you are right ElGato, there is a responsibility of every speaker to not be offensive & at the same time a responsibility of every listener to be unoffendable. AS CHL holder or as decent ordinary citizen it is my responsibility when I speak to not be offensive & when I hear to be unoffendable. That character trait will reap the blessing peace, respect & many friends.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kalrog

Post by Kalrog »

Don't feel bad, longtooth. I missed it as well.

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

Yes it is good to be simple minded :willynilly: and know nothing about :mad5 and :boxing .

txinvestigator

Post by txinvestigator »

ElGato wrote:Every CHL has been taught that we should live in the adult ego state and to stay out of the parent and child ego state, that should apply on this forum as well as on the street.
You know.....Thats one of the best things I have read on a message board in a while.

:thumbsup:
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

jbirds1210

Post by jbirds1210 »

+1 I have enjoyed learning from the diverse group of fellow gun toters. There is more class contained in this forum that most other forums combined. It is uniqe and the only one I visit frequently. Thanks to everyone who keeps it this way! :grin:
Jason
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member

"No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child."

Lumberjack98

Post by Lumberjack98 »

Good post Charles.
NRA Lifetime Member
TSRA Lifetime Member

TxFire

Post by TxFire »

I love the 10 y/o daughter rule of this forum. The stuff that is written on other forums never ceases to amaze and offend me and I'm relatively young and have seen and heard alot. I think though due to the rule on this forum and the decorum of it's members the SLIGHTEST thing will stand out here, where in other forums it would not cause a blink.

Thank you Charles for the rule and thank you fellow members for your class, values, and valuable information.

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

The things about this forum that make it only one of two that I participate in are:
1) The 10 year old rule
2) The knowledge and wisdom of a diverse group of people and their willingness to share that knowledge without making you feel stupid.
3) The compassion for others that is expressed here
4) The willingness to help other members in a time of need, even though most have never met face to face.
5) And as I have stated in many welcomes, this is more like a family than a forum.

Thank you Charles for such a great place to hang out
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Thanks guys and gals! Everyone's response to what I intended to be a friendly reminder among "family" has been exactly what I've come to expect from you folks.

Thanks again for the TexasCHLforum you created.

Chas.

Return to “Site Announcements, Questions & Suggestions”