New Rule: No business logos

To keep abreast of site changes, or to post a question, idea or suggestion for the website.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 3

New Rule: No business logos

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

As virtually everyone knows, the TexasCHLforum is a noncommercial forum. We do allow members to occasionally post items for sale and advertise CHL classes (in compliance with Rule 13) and we allow members to post links to their businesses in their signature lines. It is the opinion of the Moderator Corps (with which I agree) that this does not violate the noncommercial nature of the forum.

Recently, we have seen business logos placed in members' signature lines. This is a problem and if this practice continues, the TexasCHLforum is going to look like a page from the Yellow Pages. After discussing this issue, the Moderators agreed that business logos will not be allowed in signatures line, as an avatar, or in the body of a post and new Rule 18 will go into effect on July 1st. If you have a logo in your signature line or as an avatar, please remove it.

Chas.

jester
Posts in topic: 1

Re: New Rule: No business logos

Post by jester »

Does this apply to the logo for a member's own business or for any business? For example, is the Glock logo acceptable? What about the logos on the beer bottles in my avatar? If so, I'll comply. I'm just trying to make sure I understand the rule. Thank you.
"There is but one correct answer...and it is best delivered with a Winchester rifle."

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

jester wrote:Does this apply to the logo for a member's own business or for any business? For example, is the Glock logo acceptable? What about the logos on the beer bottles in my avatar? If so, I'll comply. I'm just trying to make sure I understand the rule. Thank you.
Your avatar is fine; it's not really advertising a business in the sense we are trying to address. Generic logos like Glock, Colt, Ford, etc. are fine in an avatar, but not in a signature line. The rule is not limited to a member's own business, because we don't want people advertising their brother's business either.

Thanks for asking,
Chas.

Teamless

Post by Teamless »

Charles, In my signature, I have "CHL Class In Houston/Galveston - see Tom Estep!"
I am not trying to nit-pick, but do want to be sure I am 100% in compliance to the rules.

Is that now forbidden?

(edited to add: I am not affiliated with Tom at all, he was my instructor and I think he did a tremendous job, is why I have it there)
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

A-R

Post by A-R »

I think (and hope) this only applies to graphic logos in sig lines, correct? I assume that a brief text-only mention of a business is OK?

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

austinrealtor wrote:I think (and hope) this only applies to graphic logos in sig lines, correct? I assume that a brief text-only mention of a business is OK?
Correct. We just don't want to look like a Yellow Pages ad.

Chas.

TexasTornado

Post by TexasTornado »

Does this also apply to non-profit/charity organizations?
"I can see it's dangerous for you, but if the government trusts me, maybe you could."

NRA Lifetime Member

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

TexasTornado wrote:Does this also apply to non-profit/charity organizations?
Yes. NRA logo's are OK.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Return to “Site Announcements, Questions & Suggestions”