Filling in employment history on DPS CHL

To keep abreast of site changes, or to post a question, idea or suggestion for the website.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
pmcdn
Posts in topic: 1

Filling in employment history on DPS CHL

Post by pmcdn »

I took/passed my exam and course for my Tx CHL today. I came home and went to DPS to register and pay online. I have been self employed for the last 5 years.

I get nervous submitting these kind of forms to DPS because I fear that one minor error or something will set it way back.

Here is the area I am wondering about: I worked for a company as a self employed contractor under my business DBA name and got paid to it. The year before that (the first year of the 5 years back) I was just a contractor not under my DBA and all these years I worked from my homes I lived in then.

Do they ask this stuff just so they know its the real "me" when they check me out or do you think I hosed it up?

Thanks!
"I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it."
- Clint Eastwood

speedsix
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Filling in employment history on DPS CHL

Post by speedsix »

...they want to know where you've been and what you've been up to...by checking your employment history, they have a point to sniff around from...just tell the truth as well as you can put it...and they'll be reasonable...if you have a job for 5 years back, they know you weren't on the run from the law, that kind of thing...plus they can see if you have any record of being too hotheaded...if you were treated for mental problems on company insurance...reasonable things like that...betcha it'll be just fine...welcome...enjoy the forum!!! :cheers2:

apostate

Post by apostate »

If you were truthful, even if not precise, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

speedsix wrote:......if you were treated for mental problems on company insurance...reasonable things like that...
How is that "reasonable"?

How do they perform that action without contacting the previous employer?

They certainly never asked to see my health insurance card.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

speedsix

Post by speedsix »

...you signed permission for them to access any document or health record they deemed necessary to determine that you were mentally fit to carry a weapon...how deeply they chose to delve into them...we don't know...any records your employer had...they could look at with respect to your health and past mental state...

Lambda Force

Post by Lambda Force »

speedsix wrote:...you signed permission for them to access any document or health record they deemed necessary to determine that you were mentally fit to carry a weapon...how deeply they chose to delve into them...we don't know...any records your employer had...they could look at with respect to your health and past mental state...
Sad but true. That's why it's important to read affidavits before signing them.
Tyranny is identified by what is legal for government employees but illegal for the citizenry.

speedsix

Post by speedsix »

...kinda scary that a bureaucrat gets to decide if I'M wrapped tightly enough to carry... :lol:

Return to “Site Announcements, Questions & Suggestions”