Chapter 10 discharge. Can I get CHL?

To keep abreast of site changes, or to post a question, idea or suggestion for the website.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
wantchl
Posts in topic: 4

Chapter 10 discharge. Can I get CHL?

Post by wantchl »

I have a Chapter 10 discharge, under other than honerable conditions. Does this disqualify me from CHL.
Also have a PI ,dismissed, and unlaful carry of a firearm, defered, all were well over 20 years ago, just don't want to spend money if disqualified.
Thanks for any help

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Chapter 10 discharge. Can I get CHL?

Post by Beiruty »

if the unlawful carry is a felony grade, that you are in trouble for life, unless purged.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Topic author
wantchl

Post by wantchl »

I had been hunting and was stopped for no license plate light, he saw the gun behind my seat, 1 pistol and 2 rifles, got me on the pistol. I don't think it was a felony just had it in the truck. I think it was actually dismissed after my deffered but it was so long ago I will have to find out how to look it up.

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

wantchl wrote:I had been hunting and was stopped for no license plate light, he saw the gun behind my seat, 1 pistol and 2 rifles, got me on the pistol. I don't think it was a felony just had it in the truck. I think it was actually dismissed after my deffered but it was so long ago I will have to find out how to look it up.

You can hunt with pistols if it was open season with firearms. It is no crime.
Beiruty,

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

I think that you a eligible, but one of the forum instructors will probably answer with more certainty.
NRA Endowment Member

Topic author
wantchl

Post by wantchl »

Beiruty wrote:
wantchl wrote:I had been hunting and was stopped for no license plate light, he saw the gun behind my seat, 1 pistol and 2 rifles, got me on the pistol. I don't think it was a felony just had it in the truck. I think it was actually dismissed after my deffered but it was so long ago I will have to find out how to look it up.

You can hunt with pistols if it was open season with firearms. It is no crime.

It was in the cab of my truck and I was arrested, probably my mouth back in those days. Should have fought it but had no money for a lawyer, was offered defered and took it. With all of the things I mentioned I was much younger and most certianly more stupid back then.

smoothoperator
Posts in topic: 1

Post by smoothoperator »

Go for it.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

wantchl wrote:It was in the cab of my truck and I was arrested, probably my mouth back in those days. Should have fought it but had no money for a lawyer, was offered defered and took it. With all of the things I mentioned I was much younger and most certianly more stupid back then.
Part of the CHL class talks about communication and de-escalation of conflicts.
NRA Endowment Member

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

Your chapter 10 discharge concerns me more than the PI or UCW charges. You need to consult an attorney about your eligibility.
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

BTW, what is Chapter 10, for military discharge?
Beiruty,

Topic author
wantchl

Post by wantchl »

Chapter 10 diacharge is under other than honeable conditions. Not dishonarble just not honerable either. Means I got in trouble and they gave me the option of a court marshal or leave the Army. I chose leaving the Army. Specificly I went AWOL more than 30 days during peace time. It does not affect my eligiabilty to own just not sure about CHL eligability. It is amazing how things come back to haunt us latter in life. It is the most embarasing thing to me now and I just did not care back then.

Crossfire

Post by Crossfire »

Seems to me we had a student with similar circumstances sometime back. I believe the ruling was that, as long as it was not a DIShonorable discharge, that it was ok, and you are eligible.

If you want a definitive answer before applying, you might want to give DPS a call. (512) 424-7293
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

jmra
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jmra »

Just read through the eligibility requirements again. The only place I could find prior military service mentioned at all is in the reduced fee section. It would appear to me, related to prior military service, if you can pass the NICS background check for a handgun then you're eligible for CHL.

What you do not qualify for is the 50% discount given to prior members of the armed services who have been honorably discharged.

The other stuff you mentioned I'm not sure about.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Crossfire wrote:Seems to me we had a student with similar circumstances sometime back. I believe the ruling was that, as long as it was not a DIShonorable discharge, that it was ok, and you are eligible.

If you want a definitive answer before applying, you might want to give DPS a call. (512) 424-7293
:iagree: I recall that he was very insistent that his discharge was not DIShonorable.
NRA Endowment Member

KC5AV

Post by KC5AV »

jmra wrote:Just read through the eligibility requirements again. The only place I could find prior military service mentioned at all is in the reduced fee section. It would appear to me, related to prior military service, if you can pass the NICS background check for a handgun then you're eligible for CHL.

What you do not qualify for is the 50% discount given to prior members of the armed services who have been honorably discharged.

The other stuff you mentioned I'm not sure about.
The military service also comes into play under Federal law. Dishonorable discharge is a federal disqualifier, but other than honorable should not be a factor.
NRA lifetime member

Return to “Site Announcements, Questions & Suggestions”