Signature line rule -- Things are changing!

To keep abreast of site changes, or to post a question, idea or suggestion for the website.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 5

Signature line rule -- Things are changing!

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

As noted several times, we've had numerous requests to to make some changes to help those who read the Forum on mobile devices. These changes included smaller photos in signature lines, as well as a limit on the number of lines in a signature line. Most people have complied with the signature line rule and we appreciate your efforts. However, a number of Members are still using signatures that exceed the 4 line limit. A few have simply used a very long sentence that wraps to multiple lines.

For several months, we have requested that Members comply with the signature line rule, but because of the time/effort required to enforce the rule, we've relied primarily on voluntary compliance. We've had complaints from Members about the perceived lack of uniform enforcement and these complaints have some merit. Still other Members have complained that the lack of compliance is still creating problems when they read the Forum using a mobile device.

To deal with these issues, we will begin active enforcement of the 4-line limit. Due to differences in screen resolution, we are also limiting lines to 80 characters and blank lines will be counted. As previously mentioned, it takes a fair amount of time and effort for us to access a Member's profile and delete everything over 4 lines. If we are forced to do this, we are just going to delete the entire signature line. This may irritate some folks but look at it this way. A Member only has to do this once, but we have to do it many dozens of times. Please take care of this issue yourself and help your fellow Members who read the Forum using mobile devices.

Thanks,
Chas.

baldeagle
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Signature line rule -- Things are changing!

Post by baldeagle »

Charles, is it possible to generate a list of all the IDs that have overlong signature lines?
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:As noted several times, we've had numerous requests to to make some changes to help those who read the Forum on mobile devices. These changes included smaller photos in signature lines, as well as a limit on the number of lines in a signature line. Most people have complied with the signature line rule and we appreciate your efforts. However, a number of Members are still using signatures that exceed the 4 line limit. A few have simply used a very long sentence that wraps to multiple lines.

For several months, we have requested that Members comply with the signature line rule, but because of the time/effort required to enforce the rule, we've relied primarily on voluntary compliance. We've had complaints from Members about the perceived lack of uniform enforcement and these complaints have some merit. Still other Members have complained that the lack of compliance is still creating problems when they read the Forum using a mobile device.

To deal with these issues, we will begin active enforcement of the 4-line limit. Due to differences in screen resolution, we are also limiting lines to 80 characters and blank lines will be counted. As previously mentioned, it takes a fair amount of time and effort for us to access a Member's profile and delete everything over 4 lines. If we are forced to do this, we are just going to delete the entire signature line. This may irritate some folks but look at it this way. A Member only has to do this once, but we have to do it many dozens of times. Please take care of this issue yourself and help your fellow Members who read the Forum using mobile devices.

Thanks,
Chas.
Perfect, thank you very much for the clear and concise requirements :tiphat:
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

G26ster

Post by G26ster »

My browser is set to open the forum on "View new posts," so I see all new posts to all sub forums. It's obvious, to me at least (based upon the number of duplicate threads posted every day), that many of our members only view certain forums and do not see all the posts made. That's their choice, but I'd bet that the majority did not see the original post about signature lines or this latest one.

Is there any way in the software that "Site Announcements" could be made global to appear in all sub forums? Otherwise, I believe many announcements will go unnoticed and unread. MHO.

RX8er
Posts in topic: 3

Post by RX8er »

Sounds good. Just so I know, is that 80 characters per line or 80 characters total? I think you are saying per line to keep the lines from wrapping.

I'm sure everyone knows but if it is a big deal, why not just turn off the show signature option? ucp.php?i=prefs&mode=view" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Final Shot offers Firearms / FFL Transfers / CHL Instruction. Please like our Facebook Page.
If guns kill people, do pens misspell words?
I like options: Sig Sauer | DPMS | Springfield Armory | Glock | Beretta

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

G26ster wrote:Is there any way in the software that "Site Announcements" could be made global to appear in all sub forums? Otherwise, I believe many announcements will go unnoticed and unread. MHO.
That's a good idea. I'll do that now.

Thanks,
Chas.

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

RX8er wrote:Sounds good. Just so I know, is that 80 characters per line or 80 characters total? I think you are saying per line to keep the lines from wrapping.
Correct, 80 characters per line, not 80 characters total.

Chas.

RX8er
Posts in topic: 3

Post by RX8er »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
RX8er wrote:Sounds good. Just so I know, is that 80 characters per line or 80 characters total? I think you are saying per line to keep the lines from wrapping.
Correct, 80 characters per line, not 80 characters total.

Chas.
Thanks Chas!

I just checked and I am legal. :coolgleamA:
Final Shot offers Firearms / FFL Transfers / CHL Instruction. Please like our Facebook Page.
If guns kill people, do pens misspell words?
I like options: Sig Sauer | DPMS | Springfield Armory | Glock | Beretta

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Hi Charles, I just want to be sure I'm understanding clearly.....

My current signature is 279 characters, including spaces between words and punctuation. On my 13" laptop, that resolves to two lines of text, but on my iPhone 4, it resolves to 4 lines of text. When I use my word processor to count the characters per line on my iPhone, each line comes to less than 80 characters.

Based on this, my signature is compliant, right?
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

The Annoyed Man wrote:Hi Charles, I just want to be sure I'm understanding clearly.....

My current signature is 279 characters, including spaces between words and punctuation. On my 13" laptop, that resolves to two lines of text, but on my iPhone 4, it resolves to 4 lines of text. When I use my word processor to count the characters per line on my iPhone, each line comes to less than 80 characters.

Based on this, my signature is compliant, right?
You're fine.

Chas.

Keith B
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Keith B »

To clarify the 80 characters is that your total lines all together should not be more than 320 characters. This would cause the lines to wrap more than 4 lines on a mobile device.

So, TAM, for yours it goes to almost 4 lines total when on an iPhone, but is OK.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

TREKFAN

Post by TREKFAN »

Okay! Everyone just get the Samsung note 2 phone that's like 6 inches big and use that. I love it and im blind in one eye. I use it to surf the internet more than a computer. I actually do 99% of my reading from here on it. =)
Application, Fingerprints & CHL class done by 1-12-13
All documents mailed USPS 1-16-13
All Documents Received, background check under review 2-1-13
Background check complete 2/15

MadMonkey

Post by MadMonkey »

Woops! Somehow I missed that rule. I'll fix mine.
“Beware the fury of a patient man.” - John Dryden

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

I'm not close to meeting the character and line limit, but I have a picture as well. Does the picture affect character count and line limits? I think it's the same size as my avatar 80x80 pixels and 6.0 KiB.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

puma guy wrote:I'm not close to meeting the character and line limit, but I have a picture as well. Does the picture affect character count and line limits? I think it's the same size as my avatar 80x80 pixels and 6.0 KiB.
Photos are fine as long as they meet the size rule. Yours is fine.

Chas.

Return to “Site Announcements, Questions & Suggestions”